Giles Martin: Update the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

As long as they don't start cleaning up "timing issues" like they did on "Let it Be - Naked".

andrewskyDE and Kermit27 like this.
  2. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I vote for a total remix of "With the Beatles" and "A Hard Day's Night"...those are the worst sounding Beatles albums to me. I can't even listen to the stereo version of "A Hard Day's Night"...it sounds like it was recorded in a cave. With the Beatles needs to have some bass included. I can realize that they needed to drop the bass a bit back in the 60s to cut the records, but that shouldn't stop them from going back to the original tapes and doing a re-do.

smoke likes this.
  3. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I assume Ringo and Paul will have some hand in it, if nothing else, they will at least be able to give their input as to approval or disapproval of a particular track's remix.

I have only heard two remixes, one of which I couldn't even finish listening to the first track and the other one impressed me with it's sound. I'm sure we all agree that too radical tinkering would be detrimental and a light touch could reveal subtleties that we never knew existed. Time will tell.

4. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I think Giles comment about the White album was taken totally out of context, and now... it's all this.

I think when he said the White album was next, he wasn't referring to "the White album will be the next Deluxe release in the current century". I think he meant that in 1967, after recording Sgt Pepper, that the White album would become the next album released, in the 1960s. Reread his quote and you'll see what I mean. He wouldn't make an off-the-cuff remark like that about such a major release, especially after saying "I have to be careful what I say".

klaatuhf likes this.
  5. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Agreed. I highly doubt it's the mixes keeping the majority of younger people from listening to The Beatles, and even if that was the cause, there is no way they would pay the huge price for a super deluxe edition of an album they never even liked. I would go so far as to say that the average younger listener doesn't even notice the mix.

6. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

I had the same thought and listened to the original interview on the BBC Radio 6 website. It's really hard to hear but I think he said "...which will be the next release". Maybe you can listen to it for yourself. The bit about the white album starts around 1:51. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08prxp3

7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Has Giles done any other remixing or remastering work other than his Beatles efforts? What's on his resume other than "son of George Martin"?

This is a serious question.

8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I agree with you. That's why the inclusion of the original mono mix in the Pepper deluxe box was important to do.

As long as we can have both, I think it's fine.

julotto likes this.
  9. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Oh this again?

If they (NME, ultimateclassicrock, etc) had listened to the actual interview, Giles didn't specifically state anything. He matter-of-factly stated 1) there's stuff in the vaults, 2) The White Album was chronologically the next album The Beatles recorded, and 3) that The Beatles were less focused as compared to Sgt Pepper because of the abundance of takes:

Is there lots more stuff, in the archive? ... Is there a lifetime's worth of stuff to delve into?
    I kind of hope not! I gotta be careful what I say... but no... I mean, The White album, which would be the next release, is where they started becoming properly indulgent. I mean, you know, there are so many takes of "Sexy Sadie" for instance... the efficiency went slowly out the window. There's a lot of stuff...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08prxp3 at about 1:50:00

klaatuhf likes this.
  10. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Fifty years from now, will they remix the remixes?

Cronverc likes this.
  11. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Basically a narrowed stereo with digital echo applied, right? I could be wrong, but I don't think any of us believe those could not be improved upon.

goodiesguy and RonBaker like this.
  12. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

The fact that a 1CD version of the Pepper remix is being released makes me think that it is intended to replace the original. We'll see. It's not like there's any shortage of original mix versions out there to be had by anyone who wants them.

13. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I'm reasonably certain there will be 57 pages in a thread here about the volume of the bird sounds in Blackbird. :winkgrin:

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got a Brazilian pressing, but it's a fold down.

forthlin likes this.
  15. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Of course Giles was going to have to walk back his unauthorized slip, but it sure seems that at least it's being considered. "Enjoy Sgt Pepper first!" implies that there is something after it...

forthlin likes this.
  16. Rupert_Bear

Rupert_Bear Forum Resident

I dont see remixing The Beatles as an attempt to make them sound "modern". Due to the amazing engineering at the time and the fortune of these recordings being multi tracked (even through the limiations of 60s technology), The Beatles sound is brought to another level sonically.

It's not re-painting a picture, more like enhancing the colours.

I personally dont think anything pre 'Help' benefits as much from a remix as they werent pushing boundaries in the studio at that time but there's a definite shift around Rubber Soul where the instrumentation was developing as much as the songs they were creating and if modern technology can now enhance that, and add that extra sparkle then I'm all for it!

If they were to re-record anything then I would have a problem (a bit like Elvis and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra). I couldn't stand that... However the #1 and second to none album remixes from 10yrs ago were awesome!!!

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  17. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

After 50 years of the same. I say, it's time to have a little fun with it. What the hell, right?

18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Going to post one post and then leave this thread since they tend to become circular.

Bring on Giles and remix it all as long as he does not use effects that are "out of period" ( adt on pre 66 tracks etc).
    And as long as the originals stay in print.

That is my take.

19. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Instead, just do mash ups of Beatles songs with Yoko's Fly.

20. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Agreed. The Ted Turner colourizing black and white movies is the perfect example.

However, I'm curious about what a remix would sound like. It's always nice to hear an alternate mix of an album that one enjoys.

zen and Sidewinder43 like this.
  21. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Yes next cats and dogs will be living together, pandemonium, anarchy. Everybody and their brother is already remixing the Beatles and putting it out on the internet.

buddachile and MoonPool like this.
  22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

You say that like Paul and Ringo don't have a final say in these (as well as Olivia and Yoko).

23. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I agree. It will open a can of worms (in my opinion). It's not like the originals are unlistenable. Does this mean they'll have to remix every ten years in order to cater to the ''current generation's'' taste?
    Those who mentioned that the originals will still be available, also have a valid point. Personally, I would like to know what equipment they used for the remixes - original vintage gear, or new ones? All these have a great incidence on the sound, and thus the music.

24. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

They absolutely should be made to sound as good as they can.

bherbert and MoonPool like this.
  25. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Making remixed sets on vinyl and cd isn't going to do anything for the youth anyway.
    Unless they promote them on streaming services it will not be significant.

SteveM, Cronverc and wayneklein like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.