Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

$30:yikes: I guess they'll soon announce that there is no demand for them because nobody buys them anymore, sounds like the music industry playbook for vinyl circa 1992, make product hard to find and very expensive, kill demand and then stop releasing said product because there is no demand, ignore the fact that there is a very loyal core market willing to actually pay to own your product in physical form and everyone else will just grab it for free.

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You should see what some of the out of print titles go for on ebay...

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Admittedly they fly out very quickly, but my local shop has had two or three big collections in over the past year and usually puts them out for £3-£5, at those prices I don't worry too much about the occasional duplicate, I'm sure he's aware of the online prices, but he doesn't sell online and likes his small DVD section to turn over quickly, I guess I'm spoilt.

4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There are a half dozen or so Doctor Who U.S. DVDs that close around the hundred dollar mark routinely, and one that often goes for two hundred. There are crazy prices put on all kinds of things where you see RARE in big letters with forty of them listed, but these do sell at these prices, makes it hard for me to hang on to some of mine!

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, I was fortunate enough to have copies of the more expensive ones from when they were released. Nobody should have to pay 200 dollars for a copy of The Web Planet!

davenav, jtiner and Scopitone like this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

£6.30 new on Amazon UK, I guess the UK market is bigger meaning more supply and lower prices, I feel for you guys in North America.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Interesting post, and update!

I used to see several merchants stock British Television physical DVD stock, now it slowly appears the shelves are coming down in some departments. Warner Home Video distributes the BBC media, wonder if they plan Amazon for future sales on Media?

8. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Anybody else get a little rush when this thread gets bumped up, like you're thinking you might have missed some recent big announcement?

goodiesguy, Shawn, longdist01 and 7 others like this.
  9. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Thankfully KBTC out of Tacoma still plays classic Doctor Who. They are on The Gunfighters this week. Since Hulu stopped showing classic episodes, the dvds are the only way to go for most people in the US who want to watch legally, which sucks.

longdist01 and beccabear67 like this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Sorry!, I wish it was real news, but BBC Worldwide closing down their UK download to own site after just 18 months isn't positive when it comes to them spending money on finding and restoring more episodes, as unless they reverse course and embrace physical media again they've got no way of monetising them in the UK, their biggest potential market, at least that's how I'm reading things.:shake:

11. beccabear67

If only. Evil Of The Daleks complete story found! Tenth Planet Episode 4 finally unearthed in garden shed! :cool:

KevinP and Meng like this.
  12. I hope they do keep releasing physical media in the UK because here in Australia, all of our DVD's from BBC (and, actually, Universal and some others) are pressed directly from UK masters, to the extent that a lot of releases are "Region 2, 4"

13. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Most of the classic stories are now available for streaming on Britbox. Only a few stories are not represented, including some of the Dalek adventures not written by Terry Nation, and the Five Doctors special. Also, some of the partially complete stories (which were finished with animation) are not included. Overall, I'd guess that 95% of the surviving classic stories are now available for streaming. You won't get any of the DVD extras, however, like episode commentaries and documentaries.

They also have many other British shows, including the wonderful Granada run of Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett. After a 7-day free trial, monthly subscriptions are $6.99. While I already have the full DVD collection, I am tempted to give the subscription a go just because there are other shows there I'd like to try out.

JM Jones, Simon A and dbsea like this.
  14. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Since my local PBS station is pretty good with anglophile content, I don't think I'll subscribe, but it is great to know what options are out there.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It's very cool to know that at least one PBS station still shows Doctor Who... and on Saturday nights too, which is when I used to watch it on PBS back in the 80s.

longdist01 and Simon A like this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yep, Doctor Who was the midnight (11:30) movie on my PBS station. Never understood why British people call it a "children's" or "family" show. It was always 2 joints and an acid drop where I come from.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I worked for a PBS station at that time. Of course, the first episode we received was Robot, and I ran the Tom Bakers on Saturday evenings. The programming people had hyped it, but I didn't like it. When the cycle reached Jon Pertwee, I was hooked, totally. That's when I decided I'd try Bill and Pat too, and even came 'round to Tom. I never cared for the later series, but I did meet Sylvester McCoy when he came to the station on a promotional tour. I was in the men's room during a break from taping, and he happened to pop in to the adjacent urinal and said hello. That's my Dr. Who brush with fame.

EDIT: in keeping with the actual theme of the thread, there's some kind of missing episode event in the U.K. on the 26th or 27th I think, and obviously people are speculating there may be some kind of info/update announcement on the search for missing episodes.

goodiesguy, tkl7, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you everyone for sharing, any bit of news!

Be interested in what is mentioned at this "Lost/Missing/Wiped" event!

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Interestingly Dr. Who fan hobbyist

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

This will be pretty much a re-working of the Loose Cannon reconstruction, involving some of the same people (if I'm not mistaken). The original Loose Cannon reconstruction is actually better than the sample clip I saw for the Britbox versions. They added in lots of little CGI elements to create motion in the photos... blinking lights, rising smoke, moving images on the display screen, etc. The "official" versions seemed a lot more static and slideshow-like.

If one hasn't already done so, check out the Loose Cannon reconstructions on Dailymotion. I suggest downloading the videos if one wants to see them in the future. With the Britbox versions coming soon, the tolerance for unofficial reconstructions may suddenly disappear (along with most of the videos).

beccabear67 and tkl7 like this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Another interesting release in HD with rescanned film elements and color animation, and upscaled vintage studio SD video combined for classic story "SHADA" to be released Dec. 4, 2017 via Digital download, and physical DVD/Blu-ray by BBC Worldwide.

Trailer:

DVD/Blu-ray Steelbook artwork
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Blimpboy and davenav like this.
  23. It's on in Chicago on PBS channel WYCC - they usually show a 'movie' format episode at 6 AM, 7:30 AM and 9 AM on Saturday mornings (so far, various Peter Davison and Colin Baker episodes) and then a Tom Baker episode at 10 PM Saturday evening.

24. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I'm glad they are trying to preserve these shows with added animation, but I must say I haven't enjoyed the style of the animation itself. When I saw the Daleks story last year (?) on the big screen, the movement was so limited and stiff -and repetitive, as if only a small sampling of movements had been created. Shada is one of my fave stories. Douglas Adams was so brilliant! But I think I may just prefer to see the old tape footage of Tom Baker filling in the blanks rather than the limited cartoon.

beccabear67 likes this.
  25. beccabear67

I prefer the telesnaps over animation myself. I think they even animated some stills (or at least the Chumblies) on the reconstruction of Galaxy Four on the The Aztecs Special Edition and that was the best yet for any stories missing episodes. I like how The Power Of The Daleks let you choose from both animation or telesnaps. The Loose Cannon fan reconstructions are all telesnaps with bits of what's left sometimes (and have some great extras too). Shada is different in that they'd have had to create new audio as it was never recorded back then. Did Big Finish have a part to play?