Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Minor I'd say. The 2015 remaster is great, as well as the MFSL.

albertop likes this.
  2. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I have the first and second Canadian vinyl pressing of AFTK in great condition. I honestly can't imagine a reissue sounding any better than these. I'm always on the look out for Rush stuff. I was thinking about checking out some of the newer pressings but it appears there are problems. I only need Moving Pictures anyways. Maybe I'll stick to the originals.

3. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

I have listened to the 2015 hi res versions of Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings. Thought they were EXCELLENT, except for Fly By Night. I am absolutely convinced that Geddy's vocal is panned to the left, and something just doesn't seem right with that one. It is very obvious and grating on headphones, especially after a/b comparison with another version. I read about 70 pages of this thread haha, but just can't read it all. Can somebody update me as to whether or not the Fly By Night version was ever addressed by the record company? Thanks!

4. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I would stick to the original of AFTK as the title track doesn't have an audible tape drop out (which is on both high res versions and vinyl)...ruins the new version for me. The hologram on 2112 is fun and many of the titles sound very good. A great reissue series overall.

JediJoker and Todd68 like this.
  5. Rockin' Robby

Listen to this on headphones vs the 2015 HD Fly By Night. It is so obvious there is a problem with the panning on the new version. Has this been addressed at all?

6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Nice reminder to pull out my white label for a listen. Don't do that enough.

I don't have the 2015 yet, but something like that would seem obvious to me. There's more panning on that record than most Rush albums.

7. Rockin' Robby

Yes, it is obvious on headphones and even more clear when you do an a/b comparison.

8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The question I have is this: Does the master tape have this panning issue, and the vinyl cutting master tape (EQ-ed and compressed for vinyl) compensate?

9. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

I don't know about the panning issue on FBN, but as good as the Magee version is, it's still congested compared to the GK needledrop floating around on the net.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  10. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

Yes, there are very noticeable tape drop-outs on the title track of the new AFTK

I haven't noticed this problem in any of the other releases however.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  11. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I recently received the A Farewell to Kings 5.1 Blu-ray. Although, I always prefer a stereo mix, I was very interested in hearing the surround mix.(if for no other reason, for just ****s n giggles, I love this album)But, what in the name of Rush is up with the master they used? The 5.1 mix is not only weak and frail sounding, I'd swear there were dropouts, and the bass was overkill. Ive only had one good listen to the 5.1 mix so far though. It really sounded just, not good. The stereo mix is much better though. I almost can't believe this mix was actually released. I replayed the first track once it finished the first time around, because I honestly couldn't quite believe what I heard. I do also own the Signals and FBN 5.1 blus as well, but have only listened to the stereo mixes so far. It just might stay that way, we'll see.

12. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

They definitely screwed up the Surround opportunity of those discs. They should have gotten Steven Wilson from the get go.

JediJoker and Brian9229 like this.
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 5.1 mix for Moving Picture is better, although not on the Steven Wilson-level of surround remixes...

makedatmusic and Brian9229 like this.
  14. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Amen!

15. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I do have the CD/DVD with the 5.1 of MP as well, and definitely agree. I do like the hi-res stereo mix very much though.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Just a precision for those who don't know, none of the classic Rush albums have been remixed in stereo for these reissues, they have only been remixed in 5.1. The stereo mixes are the original mixes.

makedatmusic, JediJoker and Brian9229 like this.
  17. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Is Steve Wilson really doing their catalog in hi-rez format with flat transfers like the Yes material?

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

What? No.
    Where did you read that?

JediJoker likes this.
  19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I wish.

JulesRules, Plan9 and JediJoker like this.
  20. No. However, he is finished with remixing the Yes catalog because multitracks can't be found for the rest of the core albums. I guess that depends on what "core" means.

21. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I'm still holding out hope for Going For The One and Drama, the latter of which Wilson has expressed specific interest in doing, but apparently was vetoed by a particularly nasty Geoff Downes. What a tosser.

22. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Signals sound like dry crap. Everything that was good about Signals in the first place is gone in 5.1. The lush synths are pushed back, guitars are more forward, and alternate (inferior) vocal takes were used in some parts. It's just not very good.

DiabloG likes this.
  23. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

What?!?! You can't be serious?! When mastering an album, I've never heard of the engineer actually using different takes. I would think that would be done by producer, or the band during the mixing stage, or even before. If that's true, that's seriously messed up. That's just Revisionism I would say. And no mastering engineer I've heard of would be entitled to do such a change. Hmmm. That's really a troubling thought lol.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

We don't know why those takes were used, so there could be a reasonable explanation.

Brian9229 likes this.
  25. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Well, short of the original tape with the original take being ruined, or Rush deciding to re-do parts of, or all of Signals, I can't think of a single explanation that could justify a move like that. But, who knows? Stranger things have certainly happened. Imo, it's almost more the line of thought leading to a decision like that than the actual act itself. (Egregious as it is, if true)