Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "A Swingin' Affair" - 1957

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Why the hell would they alter the image in that way?!

aza14782 likes this.
  2. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Local record guy told me he had a Sinatra I might like and it turned out to be Swingin Affair which I had been hoping to find on vinyl. I checked it out and was disappointed it wasn't the grey label which I had heard was best and which my Swingin Lovers LP is but rather a Rainbow Label with the logo on the left side at nine o clock.
    I brought it home expecting reverbed garbage.....only to find a VERY clean sounding mono. I can honestly say this particular pressing was GREAT. I can't see the grey being that much better.

McLover and Simon A like this.
  3. sami

sami Mono still rules

The 9 0'clock logo label is the next best thing generally speaking to the grey label Capitol Sinatras, but it quite possibly might have as much to do with the stampers. Maybe one of the Sinatra scholars can shed some light.

McLover likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There's two versions of the 9 o clock label. The first came out in 1958 (late 58 I think) and had the words "Long playing" and "High Fidelity" written vertically to the left of the spindle hole. The second came out in 1960 (early 60 I think) and the words were replaced with two vertical lines.

The '58 9 o clock versions that I compared to grey labels had similar matrix details, can't recall exact details as it was a while ago. "Swingin's Affair" was released in 1957 (mid/late?) so they were probably using the same stampers (or whatever the technical terms is :) ) a year later.

I think it wasn't until they started using the 12 o clock label (early 62 I think) that they used different tapes.

Weird timing for this thread. I spent the weekend going through all 6 copies I had of this lp (grey labels US & Canada) to pick out the best one. It's such a great album. Even though I went through 6 versions of this lp, I didn't get tired of it at all.

BTW, for any Canadians out there, the Canadian version uses US stampers as well and the pressings are of a high quality.

Simon A, MMM and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That comes from "good" tapes, as you heard...either the master or a copy of that is "correct". Some will sound better than others. Enjoy!

sandmountainslim1, Simon A and zebop like this.
  6. aza14782

aza14782 Forum Resident

I recently picked up a near mint copy of this album, a gray label. I put it on and I loved the way it sounded. Some tracks better than others, but overall a very nice sounding record.
    Flipped to side two though, and that's another story. It had none of the top end sparkle and presence the first side did, it sounded almost muddy. I think maybe one or two tracks sounded good.
    After looking, side 1 is a D6 and side 2 is a D4. Is it possible that there's that much of a difference between the two? Or did this guy just really love side two and wear the grooves a lot more than the first.

Simon A likes this.
  7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, it's quite possible. I've sometimes found a good deal of variability in the sound of various cuts of this album. The D16 and D15 side twos are the best vintage masterings I've heard.

paulmock, aza14782 and Simon A like this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Re: Songs for Swingin' Lovers, mixed by John Palladino:
    Re: A Swingin' Affair, not mixed by John Palladino:
    Two very different recordings, both excellent in their own way (although I prefer the former). I posted some of the "mixing moves" that "drive me batty" in another thread, and thought it should be noted here. Link: Sinatra's Capitol mixer John Palladino: "Have Mike, Will Record" -UPDATE: John has passed away* ».

DLant, stevelucille, paulmock and 2 others like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

An opportunity missed: TODAY is the 60th Anniversary of the album's release, May 6, 1957.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thank you, Bob. At least we can play the SACD in celebration.

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I'm 2 days late, but I'm going to have A Swingin' Affair blasting from my car stereo on the way to choir practice tonight. We're rehearsing the choral parts to Ralph Vaughan Williams' Sea Symphony -- Mr. S. would be pleased.

rangerjohn and paulmock like this.
  12. aza14782

aza14782 Forum Resident

Anyone know if we'll get A Swingin Affair UMe reissue? They've done a lot but we're still missing a lot of key albums (A Swingin Affair, Where Are You, Only The Lonely, No One Cares, Nice n Easy, etc…). Not all of them have turned out to be sonic wonders but a lot have been very good.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  13. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

NIGHT AND DAY

This is one of the most amazing opening tunes by anyone, in this world , in any world, in this galaxy EVER!

:winkgrin:

Stone Turntable and aza14782 like this.
  14. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

But it was initially slotted in as the closing track!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just counting down the days for the UMe LP of Swingin' Affair! to be released. If it is as good as the UMe of SFWL, once it is in my possession and upon hearing it on my sound system, I can die a happy man.

16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I've ordered both the UMe vinyl and the MFSL hybrid SACD. It's exciting to have so much of this stuff be either new or recent reissues at the time that I'm really getting into Sinatra's music. Sometimes I feel like Scrooge McDuck swimming through his pool of coins.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Amazon says June 16. Wonder if that's accurate?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not just Amazon. The date should be accurate.

DmitriKaramazov and teag like this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@Bob F any pre-order ideas yet?

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I always pre-order as soon as possible from Amazon, in order to take advantage of any shortlived price drops. If anything better comes along, I cancel a few days before release. Check with me in 1½ weeks. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
    paulmock and Simon A like this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nothing stands out, Paul. As usual, importCDs has a good price, and (with a TAKE10 discount code to offset shipping) will probably save a buck or two over Amazon Prime. I would choose Amazon for release day delivery this Friday.

DmitriKaramazov and paulmock like this.
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thanks as always, Bob.

Bob F likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Out today from UMe. Barnes & Noble is calling this vinyl reissue a "60th Anniversary Audiophile Edition." Who will be first to report?

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I shall pick up mine Sunday morning at Amoeba Hollywood.

Bob F likes this.
  25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Bob, the only store in our area that has it is the Prudential Center. Race ya!

Bob F likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.