Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

So many comments I would like to make, but I never the time to write long posts.

Thank you Somebody for your wonderful posts.

2. Richard--W

By now, a year and a half later, everyone has had time to get know the 1965 concerts from Sony / Columbia's mp3 download that came with the Limited Edition 18- disc THE CUTTING EDGE. Share your thoughts on the tour. Please participate in the poll:

Bob Dylan -- Live 1965 - U.K. tour poll

3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

SN, I really hope you publish these show reviews somehow - they really are pretty incredible.

4. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Thank you. I'd love to - I made some enquiries, but no one's really interested since Judas! came out. A shame - there is no in-depth published accompaniment to the box set. The liner notes are just not good enough.

If anyone has any publishing leads, please do let me know - I'd be happy to get it out there.

JuanTCB and highway like this.
  5. Somebody Naked

And thank you all for all your kind words; and for giving eyes and ears.

6. Richard--W

If you have any after-thoughts or additional insights, however miscellaneous, consider this thread your place, Somebody.

Agreed. And neither is Judas! good enough although it does have a lot to offer.

Publishers generally want to read a finished manuscript with a file of images you intend to use. Let me know when you have that.
    Or you can self-publish through amazon.
    The Isis fan magazine does some specialized book publishing, have you approached them?

And don't forget to vote in my 1965 poll and perhaps say a few words:

7. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Wonderful series of reviews and photos. Im in for a published copy!

8. Somebody Naked

Thank you for all this.

9. The Bard

A Thousand Highways: DIY Playlist: The Complete 1966 Live Recordings
    Not a bad place to start!

streetlegal likes this.
  10. ZebraC

ZebraC Forum Resident

Fabulous run, Somebody Naked -- so full of fresh observation and great writing.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

This thread is amazing. It's become the Official meeting place for all things 65-66 Dylan, which didn't really exist before. Love it love it.

JuanTCB and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

Did Heylin have anything interesting to say about these two shows in his book?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. Richard--W

DeeThomaz likes this.
  14. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

Ok, here we go...buckle up.

I had a chance to listen to the two Dylan concert items in the Stanford Library Archive labeled as:
    MO733 Box 119, reel 7, Bob Dylan, San Jose 1965, Dec 12th
    MO733 Box 134, reel 5, San Francisco, undated

The following is taken from notes that I took while listening:

Box 119 contains the entire San Jose Civic Auditorium concert from December 12th, complete acoustic and electric sets
    Setlist:
    She Belongs to Me
    To Ramona (Epic version)
    Gates of Eden (easily the definitive live version of this song, singing/phrasing is unreal)
    Baby Blue
    Desolation Row
    Love Minus Zero
    Mr. Tambourine Man

Tombstone Blues
    I Don't Believe You
    Baby Let me Follow You Down
    Tom Thumbs Blues
    Long Distance Operator
    It Ain't Me Babe
    Ballad of a Thin Man
    Positively 4th Street
    Like a Rolling Stone

The Berkeley December 4th show does NOT exist. It has been mislabeled all these years, it is actually the San Jose set. The electric set from San Jose is the exact circulating recording that has been available over the years labeled as Berkeley Community Theater. I guess I'm making a habit of correcting Sony mislabeling stuff, kinda funny.

Box 134 contains the entire San Francisco Masonic Memorial Temple concert from December 11th, complete acoustic and electric sets (except for She Belongs to me which is missing)
    Setlist:
    To Ramona
    Gates of Eden
    Baby Blue
    Desolation Row (in the conversation for definitive live version)
    Love Minus Zero
    Visions of Johanna (first recorded live performance and in the conversation for definitive live version, epic, introduced as "Alcatraz to the 9th Power Revisited", has the nightingale's code line, hard to make out but he appears to tell the audience that "I sang this song last week in concert" - which would likely mean he played Visions at Berkeley)
    Mr. Tambourine Man (rivals Sheffield and RAH2 as definitive live version. Harp solos rival Sheffield, unbelievably)

Tombstone Blues (cuts in at first chorus)
    I Don't Believe You
    Baby Let me Follow You Down
    Tom Thumbs Blues (very slight cut in)
    Long Distance Operator ("Murder you with her smile")
    It Ain't Me Babe (singing is better here than in the San Jose show)
    Ballad of a Thin Man ("You're positive something is happening here now but you ain't got the faintest idea what it is", better version than San Jose)
    Positively 4th Street (This is the definitive live version of this song. The singing is unreal, "screeeam iiiiiiiit!" "To see yooooooooouu!" wow, Bob is clearly having fun. Garth crushes it)
    Like a Rolling Stone (Epic, last chorus epic)

~the San Francisco show immediately enters the "best concert of his career" conversation. It is an unbelievable listen. Dylan's interaction with the audience is special here, the entire crowd is sitting on the edge of their seats.
    Dylan says to Ginsberg during the intermission of the San Jose show that "what you are seeing now is a typical concert, last night was wild, I sort of felt who they were out there". Bob was still very much beaming from the SF show 24 hours later.

The San Francisco show is of lesser sound quality on both acoustic and electric sets, but still very good. SF electric set Dylan's vocals are higher in the mix than on the SJ tape. The San Jose electric set is a sound quality upgrade from what has been circulating.

Ok, well there it is.

PADYBU, zobalob, fangedesire and 22 others like this.
  15. Richard--W

Exciting news, RandPink. Thanks so much for sharing your research with us.

Please confirm that these are (Ginsberg's) audience-microphone recordings not line recordings.

Are you still in Stanford?
    Is it possible to open other reel boxes to see if there is perhaps other Dylan recordings within, regardless of how the boxes are labeled?

More thoughts in a few minutes.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    The Bard likes this.
  16. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

They are audience/microphone recordings made by Ginsberg.

Doesn't seem like there would be more live Dylan stuff unlabeled but you never know, highly doubt it.

DeeThomaz and Richard--W like this.
  17. Richard--W

Could you describe the whole package to us? Tape brand, reel size, plastic or metal, speed etc?

18. The Bard

Wow.. thank you RandPink ... mouth watering! Sounds like some fantastic versions are still out there!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Gobsmacking! Thank you so much for this.

20. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Incredible!

Please, if you can, tell us more about the circumstances which enabled you to listen to these tapes...

21. mickdoby

mickdoby Forum Resident

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I love that the (previously private) "Alcatraz To The 9th Power" jokes continued longer than we previously had reason to believe.

23. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

Here is some more from my notes. I think I got the exact quotes pretty good, probably a word or two off here or there.

Ginsberg is backstage with Dylan prior to the start of the San Francisco Masonic concert and has the recorder going, fascinating stuff.

Ginsberg tells Dylan: "this recorder cost $500, it is an absolute beautiful precision machine, it can do anything".
    Dylan responds: "I don't why the **** I don't get one of those" - "hey why don't you tape some of the concert in the second half"
    Ginsberg: "it will actually do it and do a good job" "I'll give you the tape if you want it"
    Dylan "well, no - I'd just like to hear what we sound like"

Dylan seems to be talking about how he's not impressed with Hollywood... "nothing is really happening there"

Dylan talking to Ginsberg: "I spent a lot of time with Marlon Brando, I talked to him for about 3 hours. it was very pleasurable to say the least. He thinks about the universe, like you. He's just a very plain, simple, common, ordinary Nebraska cat, that is all it amounts too, (laughs)"

Dylan talking to Ginsberg: "I talked to Phil Spector about recording you and he is very interested."

The recording picks up The Hawks starting the sound check (in the background of the Ginsberg/Dylan talking), the sound is muddy of course, as it is behind walls - they seem to playing some sort of blues standard, Robbie is hitting high notes.

someone informs Dylan that "Boonie" has shown up. I assume they are referring to Bonnie Beecher?? Dylan says to Albert Grossman: "Bonnie can stand on stage. Don't bring her back here though, I don't want to see her, tell her you couldn't find me- is that so hard?". Grossman does not sound happy that he has to deal with this. HAHAHA.

Dylan: "I've never seen one of these machines before" referring to the tape recorder
    Ginsberg: "do you want to hear the playback?"
    Dylan: "yes"
    - Ginsberg then flips the switch and an awesome sounding concert plays for about 15 seconds...don't know what band this was unfortunately. lyrics were "leaving it way outside"...sorry couldn't ID the song.

Ginsberg to Dylan: "you going to do anything different tonight?"
    Dylan: "no, same show. can't take a chance man- got a new drummer"

The Hawks are now sound checking "It Ain't me Babe" the they run through pretty much the whole song.
    Ginsberg listing to the sound check says to Dylan: "they sound good, I like the arrangement, sounds a little bit like Positively 4th street"

Dylan to Ginsberg: "you got all the tickets, right?" "you did give them to people who wanted them didn't you?"
    Ginsberg: "yes, 6 to the Hells Angels and some to some young cats"

Ginsberg tells Dylan he bought a "really good expensive Fender guitar".
    Dylan: "oh you did get one - that's good"

Ginsberg invites Dylan to a party. Dylan declines.

Dylan: "I can go for a long time if I dig what is happening, I just never get tired."

Dylan: "we go to San Jose tomorrow"

Hawks now sound checking "Tom Thumbs Blues and Ballad of a Thin Man"

Dylan: "they didn't open the doors yet did they?"

Dylan to Ginsberg: "I felt kind of close last time I was here, to the concerts, because of you, and it was very groovy, that seldom happens" "when I played here last weekend (referring to Berkeley) it was the first time in a very long time, since England actually, that when I began playing - I felt actually embarrassed, at being, uh, uh, uh...it got a hold of me somewhere, it's not like that all the time, well obviously it can't be." "We played Texas man, that's where we first started out, it was groovy down there too - it really was. different down there."
    Ginsberg: "I think the best places to play is where is the most resistance." "what turns me on most is that they are so resistant that you actually have to get inside them"
    Dylan: "Yeah, I don't know man, I don't know what the **** it is that I do, you know. I really don't. I have no idea. I certainly didn't start out to do anything like this, I didn't know it was going to end up like this" "I got to accept it, and accept it on it's own terms, and it's terms are very...not many people are really aware what these terms do to you...because the songs aren't ******** songs...there's nothing that I sing that I don't, uh / TAPE STOP /- The backstage tap ends here - and the San Francisco acoustic set begins with Dylan tuning his guitar and then into To Ramona. Ginsberg maybe/likely got to his seat late and missed the first song.

END

zobalob, goer, fangedesire and 11 others like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I keep on thinking this thread has been taken as far as it can go. I need a machine to automatically smack me.

Percy Song and signothetimes53 like this.
  25. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

oooops, forgot about the no swear words rule.

Dylan responds: "I don't why the F**K I don't get one of those"
    Dylan: "Yeah, I don't know man, I don't know what the F**K it is that I do, you know
    the songs aren't BUL*S**T songs

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.