Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

its the F word...

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, *I* don't care about profanity.

3. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

until we get those damn 30 hours of '66 footage this thread will live.

Percy Song, notesfrom and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Those gosh darn 30 hours.

notesfrom likes this.
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fascinating report, RandPink and hugely appreciated.

Is the reel deck referred to in the conversation the one you listened to the tapes on? did you see the reel deck? can you describe the tech stuff to us?

don't forget to check out the Live 1965 thread here:
    Bob Dylan -- Live 1965 - U.K. tour poll

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Hey, @RandPink. Did you have load it up on a tape deck. Or have they been digitized?

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This is amazing.

8. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

Standby, I'm driving, don't want to text n drive

DeeThomaz likes this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Fair enough (oddly, please don't respond directly to this).

Lars1966 likes this.
  10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I hope to get to Tulsa sometime. If any forum member can lend me a credential, please do. I will offer copious notes. I can't pretend I can currently make the grade.

RandPink and Richard--W like this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm listening to the previously accepted "Berkeley" set. There is upgrade out there? It really exists? It's going to take a few moments to come to peace with this.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Richard--W likes this.
  12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I think there must be a period Dylan lyric that expresses how things have gotten complicated.

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm thinking my understanding of this period has to be re-evaluated.

RandPink and Richard--W like this.
  14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah.
    But at least we know the facts now, right.

Yeah.
    Previously held beliefs always have to be re-evaluated when new information is unearthed.

I'm sure I could, I'm accredited, and I'm known at the western history archives in nearby Norman, but some entity would have to fund the trip.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

My mind is spinning. Please share what you come to know. However long it takes. I love that the material is out there.

16. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

ok, not driving anymore. I did do a quick drive by of the SF Masonic on way home and waved, haha. It is an awesome venue, inside and out.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

First thing I thought when the San Jose electric set tape started..."HOLY COW, this is San Jose show not Berkeley!"

second thing I thought...the bootleggers back in the day decided "Berkeley" would be a more exciting product than San Jose. But who knows how/why it originally got mis-identified.

the sound upgrade on SJ electric was significant. There was ZERO hiss on the Stanford SJ tape and it was crisper, punchier. I am comparing it to the "Long Distance Operator" bootleg, which has hiss.

Percy Song, SolitaryMan and DeeThomaz like this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yes.

OMFG.

"Holy Cow?"

You have truly rewritten the accepted knowledge here. I think you are credible. It definitely changes things.

19. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

I saw on the Stanford blog that they said they had San Jose apparently sitting there and available for listening. So I showed up there at the Special Collections section on campus, it is open to anyone, you don't have to be accredited or affiliated with Stanford, and you don't need an appointment. You don't see the reels, the reels are kept of site somewhere. It is all digitized. They have a computer with the files on it there in the special collections library, and head phones. You select the files you want to listen to and you're off. lots of note taking.

20. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

I've never said holy cow before, haha. I like OMFG better...just not sure what is "bad" forum language since I've never really posted on a forum before. ha

SolitaryMan and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

Dylan to Ginsberg: "you got all the tickets, right?" "you did give them to people who wanted them didn't you?"
    Ginsberg: "yes, 6 to the Hells Angels and some to some young cats"

Jeez, what's the deal with these peace and love poetry guys from the '60s cuddling up to the Hell's Angels? And vice versa? I'm assuming that it was mainly the drug connection? The HA were dealing the stuff to the hippies? Including Ginsberg?

22. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

On the Tusla Dylan website is says the 30 hours of '66 stuff is all digitized and will be available to accredited persons in Fall 2017. you have to have a project you are working on, lots of rules. I'm not accredited or I'd do it.

Richard--W and DeeThomaz like this.
  23. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

Unbelievable. What are the chances of a release?

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I went OTP there. Just meant it seems you contributed genuinely new information here.

25. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

I also knew going in that there was a "San Francisco" file that was undated and a COMPLETE mystery what the heck that file was. I click on the file going COME ON! PLEASE BE THE MASONIC SHOW! PLEASE BE THE MASONIC SHOW! ....then low and behold it's the complete show...heart pounding moment, big time.

Also, being from San Francisco, the Masonic venue has always held special mystery status- every time you would walk by thinking...."there goes the venue that Bob probably had an epic show at in '65". craziness. it is an intimate venue with a low stage and close front row. Ginsberg also says on the tape that Joan Baez was at the Masonic show.