Bloodline - New Netflix Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

It's a gray area with "spoiler alerts" in regard to Netflix series... The entire season of episodes is dumped online in one shot, so there's there's no exact cut-off point as to what's too early to discuss.

As soon as the third season of series was dropped online, I knew to avoid the thread... some folks will watch the entire season over one weekend and then want to discuss it. That's cool, but I usually take a couple of weeks, so it's up to me to avoid the thread. Two weeks might seem like an eternity to some folks to avoid spoilers while discussing the details of this show.

Deesky and stereoptic like this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yes, this is a discussion thread; there is no "no spoilers" here. Join in when you have reviewed all of the episodes.

3. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Thanks, good writeup. Glad to see I'm not the only one that was confused by "random brunette who may or may not be half a Rayburn"

Brenald79, BEAThoven and GodShifter like this.
  4. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Actually, that article made me feel less dumb. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who hit specific points of confusion.

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I'm shocked it ended this way with 9 and 10 being such a mess. Damages (created by the same 3 people) used tons of foreshadowing and forward scenes but always ended up making sense. Maybe there's a chance there will be another season on different network. Damages also did 3 seasons on FX and then had 2 more seasons on 2 different networks, so it's not like going to a new network doesn't happen.

6. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Binged watched the entire series in 4 days, very compelling until episode 9 of season 3. It was so bad, I just didn't have any interest at all with how the final episode ended as I watched it. Lots of missed opportunities. Now to binge watch 'House of Cards'

hbbfam likes this.
  7. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

My wife and I ranked this show in the upper echelon of "best series of all-time" until the last two or three episodes of season 3. God, it sucked. Hard.

Like many, we were confused as hell by the "random brunette who may or may not be half a Rayburn." ... it was the biggest WTF of the whole series for us.

Anyway, the character's name is Beth Mackey, and her role is described here:

Who is Beth Mackey in 'Bloodline'? Here's an explainer on the mysterious character.

jriems and Luckless Pedestrian like this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

All right. So I avoided this thread until I had a chance to complete this season. I was totally engrossed throughout the entire season. Unlike many, I even found episode 9 compelling. It was a very strange departure for the series, but still very compelling, in my very humble opinion. Honestly, the only moment of the entire season that literally made me throw my hands up was the final scene. I guess it was implied that John was going to tell Nolan the truth, but I'm a sucker for emotional payoffs, and damn it, I wanted that emotional payoff. That scene aside, I found the season to be a fitting end to a great series, one of the best that Netflix has had to offer, and Netflix puts out a lot of great original programming.

What was the scuba diving accident all about? Did John try to commit suicide? That entire incident was alluded to with flashes and vague references here and there, but nothing concrete was presented. Maybe that was the point.

Kevin was in Cuba when he was nabbed, wasn't he? Did he erroneously state that he couldn't be extradited from Cuba?

Ben Mendelsohn's wig, gotta love it! I guess he got himself another role that required short hair at the time.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  9. Season one was great, season two was good and now I'm set to catch season three. I've been reading so many bad reviews about it...not only from here.
    How bad can it really be? I'm so curious but will watch in order. ha

10. ivan_wemple

Ha! As much as I hated the last few episodes, I had no problem with the ambiguous "final scene".

I'm glad you brought up the Cuba thing, though. The Kevin character went out of his way to explain that fleeing to Cuba made sense, precisely because he couldn't be extradited. And then ...

Encuentro and GodShifter like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Kevin was in Cuba when he got busted, but I guess he miscalculated the joint DEA team's power to arrest there. It didn't make that much sense to me either, but at that point I was like "whatever". Glad people enjoyed the last season so much. I'd give it about a 75 out of 100 whereas the other two seasons were around 95 out of 100.

hbbfam and Encuentro like this.
  12. Luckless Pedestrian

I found it strange he was so relaxed and drinking a beer at the time, when all along his substance abuse was a major part of the story. And didn't he just make enemies in Cuba? His capture was so anti-climatic, to go so quietly - he had been such a blubbering spastic paranoid about everything until then.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The beer detail is a good catch. I didn't even think about that. He might have appeared so relaxed because he thought he was untouchable in Cuba (which he wasn't - did he get bad info on non extradition from Cuba or what?)

However, the anti-climatic nature of his being caught to me just signaled resignation. He knew he was had; there wasn't any point in trying to flee anymore and, yes, he had made enemies in Cuba but one of the main guys was arrested by the DEA when they thought they were getting Kevin.

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  14. ivan_wemple

Maybe he was kicking back with an O'Doul's :D

GodShifter likes this.
  15. Luckless Pedestrian

Lol, now that would make sense!

GodShifter likes this.
  16. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

While I enjoyed the first few episodes of season 3 the last 4 or 5 became a real borefest. I mean episode 9?? WTF? A wasted hour of my life. Was it really nesicary? Episode 10 wasn't much better. I can't help thinking that they ran out of ideas. Should haveHAS just done a 2 hour special to end it. As good old BB King once said "The Thrill Has Gone".

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don't think it's so much 'running out of ideas' as having too many ideas and trying to shoe horn them all into ten episodes when the writers probably thought (or hoped) they had thirty.

jriems likes this.
  18. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The weirdest part of all this for me regarding season 3?

The wife and I watched episodes 1-8 in one week, and now we've let about 10 days go by, and we still haven't watched episodes 9 and 10...

We talked about wrapping it all up last night, but I just said, "Why don't we just go back and watch season 1 again and be done with it?"

We obviously can't stand to face the disappointment! :)

GodShifter likes this.
  19. chodad

chodad Hodad

Disappointing and muddled ending to a great series.

20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'd pretty much agree with that except for going down to 2/10 for the second number. The last few episodes were very disjointed. They had a good momentum going with the trial & should have continued logically that way & burnt the whole thing to the ground instead of whatever that all was. A poor ending for a good, solid series. Not as bad as the final season of Dexter but almost.

Edit: on second thought, I think it was worse then the final season of Dexter cause as bad as that was, it at least made some type of sense.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  21. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

The way Sally talked about the births was brutal.

22. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Just finished season three.

I agree....weak finish.

Just wanted to share this....

Kevin went to Bimini....not Cuba....so that's why he was able to get arrested.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Completely forgot about that. He mentions how far they are from Bimini to Belle while they're on the boat; makes total sense now.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Just finished watching this last night. The wife and I enjoyed it for the most part, but jeez....there were some seismic plot holes in that trial. John sat up there and lied his butt off about Marco telling him he thought O'Bannon killed Danny...and he was going to rescind his deal, and that's why O'Bannon killed Marco. John didn't say a word about this to any of the cops at the scene? Or to the chief when he was asked directly? No cell phone records? Nothing? Please.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I was entertained by the last season of Bloodline. I think the theory that the writers had to tie up lots of loose ends abruptly was the major problem. On the other hand, I cannot remember a worst final season of any show than Dexter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.