What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

What about the tweet?

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

"Sad"

majorlance, Billy Infinity and mjb like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

wow, better go down to a local record dealer and pick up an 87' for a couple of bucks
    before they become rare as rocking horse shyte and pathetic eBay prices.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I love it!

5. APH

APH Forum Resident

[​IMG]

6. APH

APH Forum Resident

I sold my 87 CDs when the 2009 remasters were announced. I then rebought the 87 CDs again, after I actually heard the remasters. I probably came out ahead by a few pounds.

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I picked up a few 87' cd's second hand for 2 bucks each. I imagine a lot of people got rid of their 80's cd's
    when the 09' set came out.

8. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I did this same thing except, The store I traded with only gave me $44.00 for the whole collection near mint, including past mater's 1 &2.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I always look for pre Apple '87 CDs. Once I see an Apple label I'm out.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  10. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

I listened to the '87 last night for the first time. It's easily my favourite CD Mastering. I thought it sounded very true to the various stereo vinyl that i've heard. No danger of listening fatigue with the '87. It's glorious!

11. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

This never seizes to amaze me... I don't want to start a "this format is better than..." discussion, but cd and definitely blu-ray are capable of way better dynamics than vinyl... So why give the vinyl the better master??? If anything they should have at least something similar...

12. DirkGentlyUK

We know why. It's assumed that people listen to Vinyl at home in a quiet environment, whereas people listen to digital formats in noisy environments. As fallacious as it might be, i've heard those words from the mouth of a Mastering engineer.

Not a good one, clearly.

13. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

Well... That makes sense then I guess... And it's true. Whenever I go out I always bring my €50.000 stereo set (cd player, amps, 100 kg each loudspeakers) with me, but usually leave my turntable at home, because it's a pain to balance it in the car...

Shak Cohen, supermd and gja586 like this.
  14. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

I thought that Apple and pre-Apple share the same mastering (of course, I'm talking about CDs previous to the 2009 remasters). Have I missed something?

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This remix will make my 1987 DMM vinyl a collectors item :). Perhaps Giles should ruin remix all of the albums if that is the case. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I just wanted the ones that came out first.

Dyland and mozz like this.
  17. DirkGentlyUK

Ridiculous, i know... but they're only going to make one Digital Master. The same one used for Streaming will also be used for CD. Lowest common denominator, race to the bottom. Call it what you will.

Of course considering this is supposedly an audiophile forum and yet a considerable number of people like loud Masterings. Worse still among the general public i imagine.

As long as the Spotify crowd are happy. Who are we, the physical media buying consumer, to judge?

18. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Just listened to the remix tonight. Not overly impressed, agree with the host's comments except that it doesn't have more detail than the 87 CD, just the eq effect with some frequencies giving it that effect.

The 87 CD is still my go to version, sounds better than any vinyl version or later CDs. If anything, it is too clear and detailed, if there is such a thing, as the cutting in and out of the mixing multi-tracks can be heard.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Dan The Man1 and Bernard hansen like this.
  19. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Again, that is due to modern mastering which it is assumed the general public wants. The reason the loud master is generally not used for vinyl is due to the format's limitations. It can't cope with music mastered that way.

tedhead and Shak Cohen like this.
  20. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Put yourself in my shoes chaps. I have never owned a vinyl edition of Sargent Peppers and I have decided I now want to buy one. Now, where to start......

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  21. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I think the remix is brilliant. Unfortunately, they inexplicably screwed the pooch by applying way too much limiting to the digital formats - not just the CD but also the Blu-ray audio, which I find completely mystifying.

The vinyl, on the other hand, doesn't seem to suffer from this problem and sounds fantastic. If you want to experience the new mix properly, seek out the vinyl.

Dan The Man1 and andybeau like this.
  22. DirkGentlyUK

You have lot's of choice. There are many Stereo pressings of Peppers and all varying degrees of awesome. Here's one of many threads where vinyl is discussed:

"Sgt. Pepper's" - Vinyl Pressing Comparisons at Beatledrops

xfilian likes this.
  23. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

This...just wrong. Wrong, man.

tim185 likes this.
  24. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Thanks very much. I guess the easy thing to do would be to go onto Amazon and buy the new version for delivery tomorrow but sometimes the search is half the fun.

25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Same here. Well said. I have a pretty deep collection of Beatles stuff but I heard a lot of things I've never heard before with this set and that makes the release worthwhile, imo.

wwright and ssmith3046 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.