Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

You have a MK2. That is a MK5G with external power supply Mike New bearing and other upgrades that help bridge any gaps.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Are they higher quality than the generic cheap ones that usually come with TT's ?

I seen a video unboxing and they looked nicer than the usual.

Was looking for more detail than perfectly fine. :)

3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

They look a little nicer than the Pro-ject cables my Carbon Esprit shipped with but work just as well.
    Beyond that, I can only add that they're not very long and they're detachable. You don't need to put up with them if they rub you the wrong way.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Quite easily improved upon. Tend to truncate frequency extremes though the plugs appear to be quite decent quality.

Licorice pizza and bru87tr like this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Very good quality cables considering what manufacturers usually include. They won't have any detrimental effect on the sound unless your cart is sensitive to capacitance loading.

bru87tr likes this.
  6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. I am sure my Belden/canare cables are better, but they looked decent in the video and surprised me.

7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Hold it. You have the Mike New bearing and other mods on your Technics? Had I known that, I wouldn't have made the statement I made.

Stock to stock though, is still expect the VPI to be a better performer.

rebellovw likes this.
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Thanks - yeah - I'd give the edge to the VPI - but man I love both.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I got my PLX-1000 yesterday.

I never expected to be so completely disappointed. Right out of the box, I was impressed with the build quality, very nice. That is where it ended.

The tonearm play on this turntable is almost the worst I have ever seen. To compare, I bought a low end Onkyo 1050 TT last year, Amazon gave me a special deal of $150, figured it would be good at my beach house. The amount of tonearm bearing play was so bad, tapping the floor with my foot you could hear it chatter while the record was playing. This Pioneer is just as bad. I was floored and never expected this from this price point of a TT. I heard people complain of this, but never expected it to be this bad. I am completely shocked.

Not only that, the platter wobbles. I don't know what else to say, I am floored and totally disappointed.

I have a AT-LP-1240. It has just the slightest of bearing play that is probably not even worth mentioning. No chatter at all.

Sorry to say it goes back. The sticker said it was built in April 2017. I would have thought and read this issue was fixed. Obviously not.

I was so excited to get this TT. I guess it's luck of the drawer and I got extremely unlucky.

10. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Why not try dealing with the bearings by yourself before you send it back ? I didn't have to do it on my PLX-1000 but it doesn't look too complicated. At worst, you'll have lost a little time.
    At first, I thought the platter wobbled on mine as well, turns out the Pioneer rubber mat was a little uneven or warped. Maybe you could also check that out ?

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Looks like you got a bad example or even a rebox. I had no issues and certainly no wobble or arm play.

Licorice pizza, HiFi Guy and bru87tr like this.
  12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

The play was way to out of wack to deal with. Up and down and side to side. Not worth the headache and time. Returned.

13. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

With the platter wobble, I would have returned it too.

bru87tr likes this.
  14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I was surprised by one problem, nevermind two. Very surprised.

Too bad, cause it's a beautiful table. For that money it shouldn't have such severe problems.

If it was slight bearing play, I would have kept it. But it was way worse than I have read online. Must have got a really bad one.

Not surprised with my luck.

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

Sorry about your luck. My luck has been similar with gear purchases, even with reputably bullet-proof brands. I had some slight bearing play on my PLX but it was a relatively easy fix. I'd also return a table in that condition. I thought they had resolved some QC issues but apparently not. It's a shame because the non-lemon examples are great.

Licorice pizza, HiFi Guy and bru87tr like this.
  16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I thought at worst slight play, oh boy this was bad.

I should have taken a video to show you guys. I was so mad I didn't think of it. You all would have been floored how bad it was.

Maybe in the future I will try again for a good one.

punkmusick likes this.
  17. Black Jack

Black Jack New Member

Just boxed my pair, ready for collection to be sent to a new home, it's been a good couple of months using them, but the Technics 1210 mkII has won the day on a number of levels. I've also seen the build quality of the new Denon VL12 Prime and can't say I'm impressed either, not bad for the price range...if I ever look at another new deck, it will probably be looking at the Technics GR.

FashionBoy and patient_ot like this.
  18. Black Jack

Black Jack New Member

using the money to get Adam F7 monitors lol

19. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

I remember the platter wobble problem when I used to work for Gemini. The manufacturer was using the same center drill bit for 3000 platters instead of the max of 1500. Gemini used Hanpin as well. Same manufacturer as the Onkyo 1050 . Honestly, it just sounds like a bad batch, I think you can get a different better batch if you buy it from a different seller. If you buy it from someplace that has someone you can speak to, maybe you can get one that wasnt made in April.

Denon VL12 Prime is also a low end Super OEM Hanpin turntable. Definitely not worth the money.

20. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Take it back. Mine is going on three years with no issues whatsoever.

bru87tr likes this.
  21. Black Jack

Black Jack New Member

correct, although it is claimed not to be, it is the double of the new Numark NTX1000, and I know Denon is part of the same group of companies, but I am pretty sure all of the Numarks have been Hanpin, I also think it could possibly be the same deck, just a different badge.

Just looking at the 1210 Technics side by side with any of these decks, the Technics just looks far superior, and it feels superior in the mix.

22. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Keep in mind that the Super OEM decks from Hanpin were never meant to be the full quality of the 1200. They were made for the companies that wanted the cheap alternative, and Hanpin has been around since at least the 90s. There SO many companies that plop their names on this particular deck its staggering. It wasnt until relatively recently that Hanpin stepped up their quality game on their higher line turntables. I havent read this thread in a while, so I still dont know if the Pioneer 1000 is actually a Hanpin Unit. I do know this, the Pioneer PLX500 has the same tone arm as the NTX1000, Id bet money that is Hanpin. The rest of the deck is updated.

23. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

That would be mine. And yes it is great.:)

33na3rd and druboogie like this.
  24. Helom

Helom Forum member

I see the Technics pitchfork crew is on the march.

25. Black Jack

Black Jack New Member

the pioneer is hanpin, which again, as i mentioned is not a bad thing, it is a really nice turntable, just for me i prefer the 1210s, because after some trial and error between the two makes i found them to be more accurate when mixing, so returned to them...but pioneer plx-1000s are very nice