SH Spotlight Pressing and mastering quality of Creedence Clearwater Revival albums*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexbunardzic, Jun 5, 2017.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Several factors, aside from what you mentioned. One was me being an East Coast boy, the other as an insurance against getting bootlegs or counterfeits.

2. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

The only original I have which is in great shape, is Willy & The Poor Boys, this pressing:
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willy And The Poor Boys

Blue label with deep groove, and the matrix numbers are stamped, along with the H (Hollywood pressing).
    I like it a lot. But maybe there's a better, later pressing (besides the Analogue Productions, which I also love).

3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

That's an interesting last part to your comment. Bootlegs or counterfeits.... was it something about West Coast plants that this was more common?

If I recall.. the I for Indy and H for Hollywood were always machine stamped, but the R for Rockaway could be hand written on some Rockaway pressings. Wouldn't it be easier to 'fake' a hand scribed R instead of a machine stamped I or H?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean..

4. W.B.

It does seem complex, yeah, but . . . the other factor for me would be uniformity in label type. If one has primarily Rockaway pressings, an Indy or Hollywood would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Fantasy in that era did not press their own records, they used RCA Victor plants. Thick Blue Label with "H" deadwax suffixes best where available. For me, the thick RCA pressings are better than the thin ones though a bit more hissy. Second choice for deadwax suffixes is "I", "R" is usually not as fine overall.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Interesting, isn't it that the main reason for Fantasy in the first place was that it was a record manufacturing place first, right? Specializing in colored vinyl. Or so I was told. I think that the very first 5,000 unit pressing of the Creedence album was indeed pressed locally but after SUSIE clicked they went all-out RCA. They weren't equipped.

McLover likes this.
  7. W.B.

I meant to ask, where (besides Monarch) did Fantasy have their main (i.e. colored vinyl) product pressed before they (as you put it) "went all-out RCA." I have a 1965 Little Johnny Taylor single on their Galaxy subsidiary which was pressed by RCA Rockaway, and looking at the lacquers I could tell the RCA Hollywood studios at 6363 Sunset either cut or re-cut it.

McLover likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve, makes sense. When the odd hit in their early history was few and far between, they could handle their own pressing. And when the first CCR album hit "Going all out RCA" made sense, as they could handle national demand with 3 pressing plants, and they could handle hit logistics. Yes, Fantasy was very much a record pressing company in those halcyon days, first incorporated as Circle Records. Miss those beautiful thick Blue and Red pressings from the Weiss Brothers (Sol and Max) who founded the company before the sale to Saul Zaentz. And their tasteful and beautiful cover artwork, itself distinctive.

9. W.B.

And it was towards the end of 1973/beginning of 1974 that Columbia began entering the picture in terms of Fantasy's pressing array - at first Pitman and Terre Haute only, before RCA Hollywood closed in 1976 and then Fantasy had all Columbia's plants press for them.

Bert-Co did all the "local" pressed label typesetting, and RCA Hollywood pressings.

McLover likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The colored vinyl and thick black vinyl on Fantasy and associated labels was pressed at the old Weiss era Fantasy pressing plant. The odd hit forced the company to use other plants before the all RCA move, examples being Little Johnny Taylor's big R&B hit "Part-Time Love" and Vince Guaraldi's "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" as notable examples of the odd early Fantasy hits.

caravan70 likes this.
  11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I would've thought the Lenny Bruce LPs might have been the label's first big sellers.

baconbadge likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Well, everyone is dead now to ask, but I remember Ralph K. told me that Fantasy had their own plant: Circle Record Co. 654 Natoma Street, San Francisco, CA. And even when the company moved to 855 Treat Street, they still used Natoma as a plant. The 1962 Vince Guaraldi CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WIND has the Treat Street address but the mastering data is on a Circle Record Co. sheet. Then, after the album hit, it was farmed out to United Recording in Hollywood who cut many parts, on 4/18/62. The engineer was WALT at United. The notation on my Xerox notes that Master cut "G" by Walt/United Mastering 4/18/62 - 1 for Lewis RM Co. (and I don't know what it means.) But for sure the first cutting and manufacturing was local at Circle Records, before United recut it..

Now, on Creedence, my notes remind me that the album was mainly mixed and assembled on 4/9/68 for Galaxy Records at RCA Hollywood. I note on the sheet that the album was mixed on RCA brand tape. But I have no notation on where it was manufactured at first, sorry.

On BAYOU COUNTRY, my notes tell me it was mixed at RCA, Hollywood by Hank McGill (from KQED) on RCA tape on 11/3/68. There are EQ notes on the tape box Xerox but I can't read them, too faint. No manufacturing data.

GREEN RIVER had a big change as it was recorded at Wally's by our buddy Russell Gary. But, as my Xerox shows, it was assembled at RCA, Hollywood, has RCA numbers and a date of 8-5-69 for Galaxy Records. Original title: "Creedence Clearwater Revival Three."

WILLIE (original title: CREEDENCE FOUR") was also recorded at WH but my Xerox shows an RCA legend pasted over what is probably the original Heider legend under it. It's an RCA legend for Galaxy Records with EQ scribble on it and all RCA numbers (side numbers, etc.) No date at all on this, sorry But it does say "Property of RCA Recording Studios, 6363 Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, CA 90028."

COSMO for the first time has a Wally Heider legend, no RCA legend pasted over, but RCA numbers scrawled on the legend (Z4RS-7923, etc. F-2801.) Has no date on the boxes but says engineer: R. G. in Studio C.

PENDULUM has a Heider legend and a date of 11/28/70 with hand scrawled RCA side numbers, etc. but no manufacturing info. Might have been on the inside of the boxes but I didn't copy..

MARDI GRAS has a Heider legend and a date of 2/1/72. Does NOT have any RCA numbers on the box but I can't read the fine pencil on the Xerox, sorry.

That enough?

Fun reading the old DCC Fantasy file again.. :^)

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

They were not major sellers, small and steady demand (comparable roughly in sales to average Fantasy Jazz titles). Not enough to overwhelm Fantasy's plant then. The major two titles I quoted were exceptions, big national hits for the label. As in 30,000 and more unit sellers nationally.

caravan70 and beccabear67 like this.
  14. W.B.

It's a start, that's for sure.

15. Steve Hoffman

I also have Xerox info for all the Vince Guaraldi Trio Fantasy albums. DCC was going to do them all at one point. No one seemed interested, sadly.

caravan70 and duggadugdug like this.
  16. W.B.

Not even his Charlie Brown Christmas album? Sheesh! Or was that pretty much all they ended up doing?

17. Steve Hoffman

One thing I forgot to add, both of my LP copies of Guaraldi/CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WIND, my red vinyl mono and my blue vinyl stereo have the matrix information in the leadout groove in the exact same handwriting that is on the tape boxes and notations. So we can assume that these early Fantasy colored vinyl runs were mastered and manufactured locally at Circle Records if that helps at all to figure this out. As for early Creedence, don't know.

caravan70 and McLover like this.
  18. W.B.

Apparently, Circle must've had Scullys, based on what I've seen of photos of such records . . .

19. Steve Hoffman

No one even wanted that. They said it was "too seasonal."

WisFish likes this.
  20. W.B.

Christ almighty. And the TV special remains a perennial. Go figure.

caravan70 and boboquisp like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Well, I can tell you that they sound like total crap. Dull, no bass, no top end, nothing. The repress versions on black vinyl from 1962-70 sound way better (but of course nothing like the beautiful sounding master tape).

22. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

All of Steve's notes about the CCR tapes and cuts is extremely interesting.

I'm curious as to one thing. If some of these LPs were cut or assembled or whatever at RCA Hollywood, and given RCA numbers like Z4RS-7923 for example.. why does the deadwax of these early cuts use the format example like F-2801 (or whatever corresponds to the specific title)? Why don't they fit the standard RCA matrix protocol with the four letters that signify the year, contract, studio, whatever... etc.. then the four numbers ... then the 1S, 2S, etc..??

RCA of course did contract pressings... and didn't their matrix format have a stipulation for contract pressings? Or was their format only for their own label? I seem to remember the 45 matrix protocol having a certain code number assigned to contract pressings...

23. W.B.

F-#### was Fantasy's own matrix numbering system, dating to 1954-55 and used well into 1974, applicable to both LP and 45 (what would have been the W3KM numbers for "Proud Mary" and "Born On The Bayou" for Fantasy single 619, f'rinstance - I'm betting within the 9200 range). Why RCA's own numbers, despite being so assembled, weren't used on their pressings of Fantasy product, is one of those questions where those who would've had the answers as to why, may well be all dead by now. -#S dash numbers were limited strictly to RCA's own product; for contract custom pressing jobs, those mastered at RCA itself had their first lacquer as -1, the second as -1A, the third as -1B, and so on.

24. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Does anyone know which plant Fantasy used in the early 50's to the early 60's when they pressed records in every color except black.

Those Gerry Mulligan, Cal Tjader, Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi, Mongo Santamaria and Korla Pandit records came in either red (for mono) and blue (stereo),
    plus other colors of the spectrum for 10" LP's. It's too bad Fantasy stopped doing colored vinyl because it would have been awesome in the rock era.

[​IMG]

clhboa, rxcory, Dave and 1 other person like this.
  25. W.B.

I think Our Host explained it was Circle's own San Francisco plant that turned out those colored vinyl records. As I've said, Bert-Co did the label typesetting . . .

Hamhead likes this.