"The Outer Limits" coming to blu-ray with new HD masters late 2017/early 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kino Lorber just posted this to Facebook:

Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
    Brand New HD Masters!

The Outer Limits (Original Series 1963-1965)

Season 1 (32 Episodes - 8 Discs) - Late 2017
    Season 2 (17 Episodes - 5 Discs) - Early 2018

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yess!!

Andrew likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Thought it would be the revival series. Oh well.

Deesky likes this.
  4. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture."

Uh-oh...get ready for the ride...

SandAndGlass and townsend like this.
  5. HGN2001

Just don't colorize it!

[​IMG]

6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Hulu has the regular series.

7. You'd prefer that over the original? Not that it's a bad show or anything but I'd much rather have the original on Blu-ray, especially to get rid of my dual-sided DVDs.

Vidiot and CBC like this.
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I already have the complete DVDs - love the show.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I'd like that too.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Excellent news. This was WAY too intense for 5 year old me back then. Just the intro would make me flee the room. My brothers, 11 and 8, laughed.

I would love to hear similar news about One Step Beyond, but that situation seems messy. The public domain box I have is pretty sketchy, quality-wise. I think Hulu has this one, too.

I'd be up for the revival series too on BR. I've never seen it, but it's probably very good if it lasted 7 years.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

dread the pricing though even without knowing it... LOL. I'm sure it will be in the Outer Limits of my wallet.

12. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

These just started airing on MeTV.

Morpheus and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

A another nostalgia money grab aimed at the babyboomers .... sad...

MikaelaArsenault and ted321 like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The "Zanti Misfits" episode scared the crap outta me as a little kid. That is nightmarish stuff.

[​IMG]

15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

There's a soundtrack CD that's fun to listen to. Opening and closing titles (the Control Voice), music scores from some of the episodes, and sound effects, 38 tracks in all.
    [​IMG]

16. HGN2001

There was a bigger issue of the Dominic Frontiere scores to OUTER LIMITS episodes by La-la-land. It was limited to 3000 units and rare as heck now:

[​IMG]

Sounds better than the GNP Crescendo disc. I have both.

MikaelaArsenault and wwaldmanfan like this.
  17. I was about in the same situation, except that for some strange reason, I seemed to have been left all by myself with that show (1st season) when it first aired, IIRC every single week... Listen, when that mutant from The Man Who Was Never Born first appeared in close-up from behind his rock, I turned the set off and ran straight to my bedroom under the blankets! ...Returning half-sheepishly to turn the set back on about 30 minutes later, only to come upon the dreadful, doom-laden final shot of the girl crying alone in her ship, lost in the void... The most pessimistic ending ever seen on primetime television... A real dolly shot if I recall what I have read correctly, not a cheap zoom-out. To this day I get the shivers when I see it!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Vidiot likes this.
  18. HGN2001

I was 12 when THE OUTER LIMITS premiered, so I was right in the show's wheelhouse, demographically. I remember watching the premiere with the family and was fascinated by it all. But I also think I tuned in or out on the show depending on the storyline that week. If it had anything to do with outer space, I was right there, and recall each of those episodes vividly. But the ones that didn't fall into that category were tune-outs. So the second episode, being political in nature, wasn't of big interest to me at the time. Today I think it's brilliant.

Today, I marvel at the fact that the powers that be of the series purposely shot it with odd angles and deep shadows, giving it a somewhat murky look. Now imagine that murky look on the already murky-looking televisions of the day.

Which also reminds me that many who look at THE OUTER LIMITS today might wonder about the opening sequence with the dot, the sine wave, the rolling image, and the Indian test pattern.
    [​IMG]
    People who've grown up in the age of color TV and 24-hour stations probably never encountered the phenomena that were part of the opening of THE OUTER LIMITS.

- The dot: when an old black & white TV from the fifties and early sixties was turned off, the image would shrink do a centered dot that faded slowly as the CRT cooled. It was a common image, and the fact that THE OUTER LIMITS would dare to put that dot on as its opening image was bold indeed, imitating a set that was turned off.

- The sine wave: a less-common image, but still something that might be seen on an oscilloscope. It went with the piercing tone.

- The rolling image: Tube TVs at the time often had vertical sync problems. It caused the picture to roll down from the top or up from the bottom. THE OUTER LIMITS example shows it perfectly. A fast roll was called a flutter. There was a horizontal sync error as well that caused the image to skew in a diagonal fashion from side to side.

- The test pattern: when TV stations went off the air after midnight, they'd put up a test pattern for their engineers to align the various components needed to provide consistent broadcast parameters. The Indian test pattern was quite common.

- CRTs in those days had focusing mechanisms, and THE OUTER LIMITS used that too to "blur the image", later to "sharpen it to crystal clarity."

- The "control voice" was the calming influence, telling you that there was nothing wrong with your television set, that "they" were controlling things.

Effective indeed in the early sixties, and quite anachronistic these days.

supermd, SandAndGlass, Vidiot and 8 others like this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

Is the revival version airing too?

20. MikaelaArsenault

There's something very creepy about that. But I don't know what.

Vidiot and chilinvilin like this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Have you seen The Fly?

22. Stop-go motion was creepy! It's been analyzed and explained by better minds than me.

As creepy as the Zantis (those alien giant ants) were, the use of "live" puppets in the other non-stop/go scenes and various other aspects made, for me, The Zanti Misfits one of the least re-watchable episodes of a wildly uneven show (first season - I have very little use anyway for the differently produced 2nd season).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

No.

24. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Actually, the revival series was mostly sensational, some of the best sci-fi I've ever seen on television.
    And the second season 1st episode "A Stitch In Time" is one of my all time favorite episodes of ANY
    TV series. It should be redone as a full length movie. Also, they made a follow up episode of it
    as the series finale. Basically the end of the world.........

25. I watched them at the time of broadcast and thought it was good, but nothing phenomenal. I probably need to re-watch to re-evaluate. I've read that at least some of the seasons of the 'new' show are edited on DVD. Pity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.