Turntable Setup Software

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 500Homeruns, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk Thread Starter

Can anybody recommend any software that would work well to analyze the readings from my test record (Ultimate Analogue)?
    I am using a PC with Windows 10 and any advice would be appreciated.

2. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

I don't know that test record, but the best setup software I've seen is Dr. Feickert Adjust+. It's pricey at $300+ but worth it, IMO. Fantastic product. There is no single better way to properly set azimuth.

500Homeruns likes this.
  3. 500Homeruns

I did see the Adjust+ software. I may eventually break down and purchase it when I have the funds. I was just hoping to find something I could use with the test record I already own.

4. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Yeah, it's pricey, but I know of no other way to dial in the azimuth as well. I hear Fozgometers are prone to mis-calibration which would make your readings invalid. I saw something on analogplanet.com about that recently. Plus, it's nice to be able to measure resonance and frequency response, too.

5. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

That's not entirely accurate. If you read the 2 year old article it says that the Fozgometer can be inaccurate UNLESS it's calibrated, which is basically just common sense with measuring devices.

6. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

From what I know.....the Fozometer is excellent and one of the best things going....I'm sure Catcher10 will chime in.

Catcher10 likes this.
  7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

The Foz meter is the quickest, easiest procedure to adjust azimuth. I was using an o-scope program on my laptop and that was cumbersome to connect and all. Accurate but took long time......The Foz meter is as good if not a bit better results I experienced compared to o-scope, why? Because I can use it quickly no fuss no muss.
    And calibrating the Foz meter is simple, download the test tones onto a CD. Plug the Foz to your CD player and within 5 minutes its calibrated. The thing you have to make sure is use fresh 9 volt battery, that's it.

Using the Foz meter I am within 1 click comparing L and R signal and on the Center reading (channel balance) less than half a click off zero.........Musical Surroundings told me these readings are in the excellent range.

Pappas3278 and Slippers-on like this.
  8. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

I know the fozgometer is excellent... usually. Apparently if you don't have the VTF and VTA (SRA if you prefer) dialed in you can be off a bit. Feickert has a technical explanation as to why this is the case. It's beyond my understanding of azimuth, honestly. By looking at the crosstalk in different settings in conjunction with phase you can glean whether or not you have these other settings dialed in as well. If you can't get crosstalk and phase to intersect at the same azimuth, you need to look at other settings to see if something is askew. I do know that The Absolute Sound turntable setup expert, Andre Jennings, also is a proponent of the Feickert method, FWIW. Hey, don't kill the messenger!

Setting Up A Phono Cartridge

9. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Oh, I forgot to mention that Peter Lederman, of Soundsmith fame, is coming out with his own setup disk soon which will either work with a standalone unit or as a software package. It's called the "Cartright" and it looks pretty intriguing. Apparently the Foz and Feickert disc don't work so well with the Soundsmith carts since they have such amazing channel separation. Here's a link to the upcoming Cartright:
    Cartright - Easy Cartridge Alignment from The Soundsmith

Here's a link to Lederman's explanation regarding the difficulties with setting azimuth on Soundsmith carts.
    How Do I Set The Azimuth Adjustment On My Cartridge? | Soundsmith

I may ultimately go with this method since I have a Soundsmith MIMC Star on order. Can't wait for that puppy to arrive!

500Homeruns likes this.
  10. 500Homeruns

Thanks for posting the link! I have a Soundsmith Otello on the way and I will definitely be using the information to help with setting it up.

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The CartRight's been "coming out" for years. Bless Peter for all he does, but he has over-promised in the past, e.g., his anti-skate mechanism, which was always just about to be available but which was eventually scuttled. I hope he succeeds on this one, as I'll buy one the moment it's truly available.

John K.

dolsey01 likes this.
  12. acceler8

acceler8 New Member

That is the right direction! OP Beg/Borrow/Steal and O-Scope! I used an eBay Tektronix 465b with both Ultimate Analogue and Hi-Fi news (I think I remember HiFi being better, but that was a while ago.) Minor adjustments were very observable on screen.

13. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

This is my setup process and I think most of us do most of this. The SRA portion with a microscope is not easy as is written, I have a digital microscope and getting that detailed of a picture is super tough. What I found though is having cart head level to platter is pretty close to where u need to be. Lyra has their own specs and that is what I am set to based on the Lyra New Angle design.
    I personally do not like that Feickert tool, its ok but for my arm not the best as finding the exact pivot point is tough. Unless you have a super high end arm that tells you the point, using that tool it will not be right. I use an arc protractor with the two points based on the effective length of my arm, that way I know the protractor is right.

It is true with high end carts, you need to have VTF and VTA dialed in as close to perfect as the mfg states, or the cart simply will not work in its most optimum manner. Throw in azimuth that really should be done with an o-scope or Foz meter, and you will have a setup that will be jaw dropping when you spin records.

Take your time and you will be rewarded with great sound, if you just slap it on and go, please do not be one of those people who post that vinyl does not sound good, that's your fault.

14. 500Homeruns

Rent a O-scope/Fozgometer might be a good business opportunity.

15. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

I hear you, but the link I posted is a recent link. I don't remember seeing a month ago. Also he has basic pricing info and an actual pic of a standalone unit. He must be making some progress!

16. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Not to get anyone's hopes up, that cartright link is not new, it's been there for a LONG time.

17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have both the Feickert software and the Fozgometer (calibrated). I have been using the Foz because it is much quicker and easier. When I get ambitious I am going to set it with both and see if they agree.

amgradmd likes this.
  18. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

My bad. I guess I never noticed it before!

19. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Did you ever get a chance to compare the two?

Cheers,
    Vin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.