Percy's song - Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leeston, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leeston

Leeston Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having just purchased "Pure Dylan" on vinyl I was jolted upright upon listening to a favourite from the Biograph" set, Percy's Song, what a wonderful narrative, great music, the sentiment expressed is still valid to this day, along with the world wearied delivery which Dylan has always been a master of.

Timeless indeed, and to think it was a outtake.....

2. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Certainly one of my favourite Dylan tunes too. Might just have to play Biograph ( a wonderful vinyl box) to hear it now. :)

malco49 and CCrider92 like this.
  3. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Has he ever commented on whether it was based on a real accident?

4. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I think it's a great track, although Sandy Denny really nails it with Airport Convention

5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

As rebranded by Apple, presumably.

6. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

One of Bob's greatest songs in every respect! I've searched in vain for a version Arlo Guthrie did on TV - IIRC it was just Arlo at the piano, but it was an awesome rendition.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

That's one of THE great misspells on this forum:laugh::laugh:.
    BTW Forget Percy's Song (it's less tedious the way Sandy approaches it, is about as far as I'll go).

chrisblower and Rickchick like this.
  8. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Diane Abbott's got nothing on me ! Ha, ha ! Airport, Fairport - damn you, auto correct !

Gasman1003 and DeeThomaz like this.
  9. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

The melody is taken from an old British folk song called The Cruel Rain and Wind if I have the title correct.​

10. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

11. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Arlo does a great version on his Washington County lp, though it's not solo on piano.

Humbuster, Paul J, jaxpads and 4 others like this.
  12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Yes! The piano version on TV was in support of that album.

bluemooze and Rickchick like this.
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Couldn't believe it when I heard it on Biograph all those years ago. That one, and a host of others, support the contention that Dylan has the deepest, most interesting and satisfying treasure trove to mine when it comes to unreleased material.

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Dylan wrote so many inspired songs in the early 1960s that didn't make it on an album. I've always thought he should have released another folk album collecting the cream of the crop from 1962-63-64. "Let Me Die In My Footsteps," "Seven Curses," and "Percy's Song" would definitely be on it. I believe there's three versions of "Percy's Song" to choose from, all from 1963.

If he were to release that album even today, it would be a number one hit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

This one and Seven Curses are right up there in the "What the hell were you thinking?" category. But we've got 'em, so no complaints. Top shelf in every way.

Natural E, guppy270 and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  18. Richard--W

What do you mean by "what the hell were you thinking category?" ?

Folk music is by definition a tradition that is passed down from one person to another, from one generation to another, from one culture to another. Folk music requires repetition and imitation, which are seen as admirable. So why should Dylan's songs be thought of as somehow diminished by following the same practice as everybody else? Nobody criticizes Jody Stecher for singing a song he didn't write. The original is little more than a refrain linking together derivative folk-song references. Dylan applies the refrain to a narrative of consequence and pathos which in turn makes the wording of the refrain fresh and relevant again. And the refrain is the briefest part of the song. I don't care which or what traditional old song or songs Dylan drew from, he makes something new and different and very special out of it. When Dylan wrote and performed "Percy's Song" his hands were clean and his thinking was trenchant and good.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Hurakan and Claudio Dirani like this.
  19. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

When I first became obsessed with Bob in the 1970's I acquired his official catalogue, and then (with the difficulties of the day) began to acquire his unofficial releases on boots. I could never understand why "Percy's Song", among many many other unreleased Dylan recordings were never officially released. Especially when the record companies would complain about the lost revenue to bootleggers. It was not until decades later that they finally realised that if they released the songs we would by them, and be marveled by them.

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I think he meant - what were they thinking when they left those songs off the albums.

bobc, man in the moon and Archtop like this.
  21. Richard--W

Oh. Of course.

If Columbia had released another Bob Dylan folk album, collecting the studio outtakes from his first four albums, which songs would people include?

I would include

Percy's Song
    Let Me Die In My Footsteps
    Rambling Gambling Willie
    Seven Curses
    Man On the Street
    He Was a Friend of Mine
    Talking Bear Mountain
    Talkin' John Birch
    Ballad of Donald White
    Rocks and Gravel
    Worried Blues
    (I Heard That) Lonesome Whistle Blues
    The Death of Emmett Till

That's already more time than a 1964 long-playing record could accomodate.

22. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

In 1964? I don't think that album would have happened. I think Dylan was well "past" this material as evidenced by the release of Another Side six months after the release of Times.
    There were plans to release Bob Dylan in Concert, a live album consisting of tracks from Dylan's Carnegie Hall and Town Hall concerts (Percy's Song, Seven Curses, among others), but the album was scrapped because the material was deemed "out of date".

23. Richard--W

I know. This question was put in the realm of "what if?"

Doesn't make a lot of sense, I know.

I still think the studio songs I listed would make a terrific album.

The question of their being out of date or in date is moot now.

24. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

If Percy's Song wasn't released till the 80s where had Fairport heard it to do their own version?

25. GypsyDavey

GypsyDavey Forum Pyromaniac

Lay Down Your Weary Tune would be the first song I'd pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.