Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I agree with Progger above it's probably more of a solo IA album than a Tull one

I agree the musicianship is of a very high standard of course as you would expect, and I have really tried to 'get into' the album but still find it so dull - the LAST thing a Tull album normally is !

I really had hoped the last remix in the box set would finally 'bring the album to life' for me...but alas not

a sharper, louder, more assertive mix would I feel sure really benefit this album, for my tastes at least...

ah well, every artist is likely to deliver an album you find a bit 'less than' even if others love it

there are albums by other artists I've read other people tearing to bits in rage that I really like....lol

one unkind aspect tho' - we had a lady at work who was '40-something' who dressed and acted as if she were seventeen....

she got the terribly cruel nickname behind her back - you guessed it;
    'Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll...Too Young To Die !'

quite unforgivable whoever came up with that...!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

It's a cool deluxe edition/addition. I was not too crazy about it 40 years ago but I'm enjoying it now!

Six Bachelors likes this.
  3. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

A bit off topic. What is the best sounding CD version of this title?

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I only have this new set and the original US Chrysalis CD, but I think I slightly prefer the sound of the flat transfer of the album on CD2 of the new set.

rbp likes this.
  5. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

For me the best digital version of the original mix is the flat transfer on the box.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Some great melodies are hidden in this album, but the frequent and overwrought choruses, along with the terrible lyrics make it very difficult to enjoy.

7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

As I said a while ago, just make your own tracklist. The 4 new songs are the best tracks. I never used to listen to Deadbeat, but the cymbals and sax on the remix are great and it goes nicely on the tracklist below. Piper has a bit of a SFTW era feel and Salamander has a Minstrel era feel. Chequered flag is a fine track. Dipper and Quiz are half decent fillers. But overall it's a pretty strong listen and miles better than the album as the best 5 songs are the new tracks plus Chequered.

Strip cartoon
    From a deadbeat
    Salamanders ragtime
    Pied piper
    Commercial traveller
    Salamander
    Big Dipper
    Small cigar(orchestral)
    Quiz kid
    Chequered flag

Pete Puma likes this.
  8. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

'Salamander' is 'Cold Wind to Valhalla' (from Minstrel). Just re-worked.
    I love them both. Ian did that a couple of times with the Tull tunes.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  9. folkfreak

?

street legal likes this.
  10. street legal

street legal Senior Member

You can say that again.

11. Yes, the songs are very similar. I love them too (highlights of both albums).

M321115 likes this.
  12. That's a pretty nice tracklist. I would probably substitute Crazed Institution for Big Dipper.

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I can kind of hear it, but it's a little bit of a stretch in my mind. Are there any other songs where you hear this, for lack of a more diplomatic term, "self-plagiarism?"

14. folkfreak

Warm sporran is From later. Just re-worked

Keith V likes this.
  15. folkfreak

My last post is of course nonsense.
    You can say this for Two fingers and Lick your fingers clean, but not for Salamander an Cold wind.

showtaper likes this.
  16. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

at insound.com you can find ridiculous prices for tull remastered vinyl and the box sets...just search Jethro tull...there is stuff for $11

17. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Okay, I didn't mean they are the same song exactly. But Ian often followed up a song that he liked with another one that sounds verbatim.

18. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Surely anyone can recognize that Ian recycled one bit from "Valhalla" into "Salamander," right? I mean, it's pretty much a verbatim quote of that one bit he does on the acoustic. I'm too lazy to look up times and compare A to B, but it's the part where he quickly strums the chord and adds the suspended fourth, and then resolves, back and forth. It's literally the same part. It has always bothered me. Other than that part though, the songs veer off into widely different territory.

Runicen and Kim Olesen like this.
  19. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Compare:
    0:08-0:26 of "Cold Wind to Valhalla"
    0:10-0:26 of "Salamander"

Same part. Different keys though. Maybe he used a capo on one or both? "Salamander" has a few overdubs on it that (sort of) make it sound a bit different. But it's the same part underneath.

20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Don't worry. I've always heard it too.

21. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Almost as good as SFTW. Makes a difference when you bring in their best 4 songs from 76 lol

Keith V likes this.
  22. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'd agree that there's a musical quote, but I'd hardly say the songs are the same or anything like that.

23. Could somebody please sum up which of the songs were remixed and which ones the multitracks were lost? Not just the album, proper, but out of all of the songs on the set?

Thanks in advance. I hope it isn't too much of a chore.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Everything is remixed except the *album takes* of Prelude, Quiz Kid, Crazed Institution, Salamander, Taxi Grab and Pied Piper, and bonus tracks One Brown Mouse (early version) and A Small Cigar (orchestra version).

All other tracks exist as both remixes and original mixes, except of course for those that were never mixed in the first place: Quiz Kid (version 1), Salamander's Rag Time, Commercial Traveller, and A Small Cigar (acoustic version).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Pete Puma, JediJoker and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. Ah, very good! I think I shall purchase this. It's nice to know that "Strip Cartoon" got a remix.

FVDnz and Keith V like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.