SH Spotlight Pressing and mastering quality of Creedence Clearwater Revival albums*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexbunardzic, Jun 5, 2017.

1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think they probably did Choogle for 46 minutes live at least once. :agree:

Suzie Q launched them as Creedence but they also did a great version of I Put A Spell On You, almost a bit of a Yardbirds rave-up! I thought as there are two former Golliwogs singles (although Walk On Water is a remake) on that first LP they could have fit Fragile Child in comfortably, that had the full 'Creedence' sound. I like it a little better than Fight Fire too.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    McLover likes this.
  2. inperson

inperson Senior Member

3. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Not owning any CCR, but enjoying their music whenever I hear it, about a year ago I purchased the CCR Chronicle vinyl which contains "their 20 greatest hits" from Music Direct. While I love all the music, I cannot listen to the lp because of all the gritty distortion it contains, as well as very flat sound with no bottom end. Is this just a lousy piece of vinyl? If so, what might someone suggest as a great to have CCR album?

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I wonder what Charlie Mingus would have thought about his imprint being cited as the source of this San Francisco-based rock band's recordings . . .

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

On their debut LP, the only track that was a bona fide Golliwogs track in its original recording - and indeed, a former single - and the one in which midway through release they became CCR - was "Porterville." Evidently was deemed more worthy of inclusion than its B side - "Call It Pretending."

beccabear67 likes this.
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

To me, Pendulum is incredibly well mixed. So tasty and defined. That drum sound is perhaps one of the finest drum recordings made. Imo.

dee, arisinwind and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Love my AP reissues.

Stone Turntable and sonofjim like this.
  8. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I love the record Chooglin' ... collection of their long jammed out tracks. Most of you have seen it I'm sure. Great for a listening session if you are lookin to zone out.

dee, arisinwind and g.z. like this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree. Not sure why these haven't been mentioned more in this thread. Once I got ahold of the set, I was done looking for anything CCR.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yup. Love the 45 mono singles collection too.

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Maybe for the CDs it's those weird cases; they don't fit in with 'the collection'? :laugh:

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laugh:

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For what it is, it's a very good, clean sounding album..but for the sound we were used to from CCR which had a more organic texture, perhaps a bit too clean...??

beccabear67 likes this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Not to me :) That just seems like a classic case of "i dont want my fave artist to develop".

15. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Having a bunch of CCRs, various pressings, US and UK, plus th AP reissues, I haven't played any of them in quite a while, but as I remember, I liked the AP reissues the best.
    To me, they were all-round great sounding, great rock n roll.
    What a helpful thread :) I'll have to go look at the matrix markings on my US originals.

16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

These two statements don't match.

17. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

I just discovered that my copy of "Cosmo's Factory" is a BILBO TAPE ONE. Of course meaning a Denis Blackham mastering. It is on Fantasy (FASLP 5006), made in West Germany for the UK market.

I think it sounds wonderful.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory

dee likes this.
  18. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

Doug Clifford used a Ludwig snare drum on Pendulum, the same snare drum he played on Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bayou Country and Mardi Gras. Doug played a Camco snare on Green River, Willy and the Poor Boys and Cosmo's Factory.

-Russ

19. Kim Olesen

All CCR albums have really good sonics i think. Way ahead of many of their contemporaries. And they still sound timeless today. That is not something you can say about many vintage albums.

dee, Mark L., Dave Armstrong and 3 others like this.
  20. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Horrible mastering, unlistenable for me. Bloated bass, recessed midrange, goosed treble.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So you liked it?

22. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

When I'm feeling masochistic, it's the perfect thing to listen to.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Come to Papa, McLover likes it!!!

24. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I just picked up an original pressing of Pendulum and think it is a fantastic sounding record. Mine even has a slight dish and it plays wonderfully clean and clean. Few pops and clicks here and there, to be expected on an album that is almost 50 years old, but I would be surprised if a reissues topped this one.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Has anyone ever seen a colored vinyl Fantasy LP of the first Creedence album? I was told the very first run was in blue vinyl.