What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

it sure is.

davenav and telepicker97 like this.
  2. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I like it.....I have good ears. I have a very adequate system. It is a classic piece of music, with a classic remix done on it. Very happy with it. Not sure what more can be said. many will disagree.....ask me if I care? I love it. Blew us away.

ssmith3046 and fluffskul like this.
  3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Only Steve knows what Steve thinks.

But I have read him on this forum complaining about remixes where individual elements are compressed to provide "clarity" at the cost of the original dynamic feel of the mix. Sort of what Pepper 50 is.

4. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

That would be the "artistic vision" of the elder Martin & his Son. The Beatles had nothing to do with the stereo mixes in 1967 or 2017 :)

5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Yup - sounds great on my turntable. If there are complaints about the fidelity or sound, it's confined to the Hires or CD.

davenav likes this.
  6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I keep reading this but I have a hard time believing they didn't hear the stereo mix before it was released and signed off on it.

Stereo was hardly unusual in 1967 and as they spent 5 months recording it and obviously knew there was going to be a stereo mix, why would they completely ignore it?

7. telepicker97

They didn't completely ignore stereo; that's a myth.

It was only a year later that George heard a test press of the White Album in stereo in the US and insisted upon having it remastered.

This would had to have been in stereo, as there was no mono US WA.

Shoots that whole "the Beatles themselves didn't care once the mono was done and didn't even listen to the stereo mixes themselves" story right in the foot.

DRM, ParloFax and lennonfan1 like this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Harrison claimed he never heard Pepper in stereo until the CD came out

9. telepicker97

I doubt he had a stereo rig at his house until 69/70...

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Maybe he just didn't want to play it.

11. telepicker97

I don't understand what you mean - he was in LA in 68 when he heard the WA stereo, so he obviously didn't hear it at his own home....

12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

at least I thank God that they did right by him with the surround mix of Within You Without You.
    ...just about the only mix on the album they got somewhat right imo, except the Tabla could be louder.

applebonkerz likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I would expect that the Beatles didn't sit around listening to the Beatles for pleasure or even for curiosity. Especially George. If it wasn't necessary for him to have heard the Pepper stereo mix around the time it was released, I can easily imagine him never having bothered to listen to it.

14. telepicker97

Sure - it's not because he had some aversion to stereo.

It's highly likely just that, by the time it got to the stereo mixing stage, everyone was tired of listening to those songs over and over and over and over and over...

john lennonist, Grant and Mylene like this.
  15. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Sounds like a job for this guy!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    tages and obi like this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So it surpassed "ALL OUR" expectations even though there are folks out there (with poor sound systems apparently) who just like to complain and would disagree if you told them water was wet? Well I guess that settles it...no need for me to form my own opinion.

17. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Personally, I love it.

I realize I don't have a spanking huge sound system, but hey - I never did! And, I always found the stereo mix lacking.

Now, joy!!

Mike Campbell and ssmith3046 like this.
  18. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It boils down the ears of the listener. I have heard it and it sounds interesting. I haven't rendered any opinion of it "yet". We will see over time which one I end up listening too.

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

you took that well

20. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Funny; Every other music forum on the web, that comment would be criticizing the 'old man'. Here, on the other hand, 35 is fresh out of diapers.

ToneLa, goer, 905 and 4 others like this.
  21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That's how the internet works. If you like something, you have to inform those with differing opinions that they obviously are inferior at forming opinions since they didn't agree with you.

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hmmm. That's strange. Why would he retweet this, then?

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Once again, (and moderators, PLEASE leave this in. I don't mind being Gorted but I'm tired of typing this.)

Supermd: Do you know how Twitter works? On Twitter you retweet something and then answer, so your followers can read the entire conversation. A guy gave his review, I retweeted that and my response to him was for him to go back to the 1987 CD and that he would probably like it better. I told him to revisit it. That's all I said. Still haven't heard the mix. Stop trying to put words in my mouth, y'all.

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hi Steve,

Fair enough. I use Twitter, and I know how retweets work. I use them to "endorse" or share similar points of view or things I find funny. For instance, I never would have retweeted that tweet if I didn't agree with it, but I see how you chose to use the retweet. I usually only see people REPLY to tweets if they have a comment to add, not retweet.

25. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I believe that at this point you intentionally avoid to listen this new mix, with the presumption that you might not like it and your opinion may cause some controversy, but many people here just can't believe that a professional and a great Beatles fan like you really still resist to hear this new mix. So perhaps just leave us to speculate on your behalf and have fun ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.