Beatles Mono vs Stereo (thread number 812)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott6, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi. Appreciate there are far too many threads on here regards Mono vs Stereo so apologises for starting another. However I have found that on the few occasions I have asked a question on this site, people are so knowledgeable and helpful. So my question is......

I recently replaced my 1987 Beatles CD's with the Mono Box set. It's a work of art and sounds incredible. I have read countless threads on which albums are better in mono and which in stereo. As well as the Mono Box Set I also have the 2009 stereo Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper's and The White Album. Are there any others that are essential in stereo. From what I have read Hard Day's Night is well worth getting. Also Let It Be - is the 2009 version much improved on the 1987 version.

Thanks in advance!

2. winston32

winston32 Forum Resident

Beatles For Sale.

3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

^ Correct answer. Thread can now be closed.

Stencil, BZync, Michael P and 6 others like this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I would vote yes for Let It Be. Definitely worth having.

I also agree with Beatles for Sale. I think I might also recommend Magical Mystery Tour in stereo.

5. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Buy them all, it's the only way to be absolutely sure... ;)

Stencil, BZync, MitchLT and 11 others like this.
  6. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Bassier, but not improved, I'd say. I believe our host mentioned that the '87 CD of LIB is a flat transfer from the master tapes (and is for him the definitive version of LIB), and for me it strongly resembles the -2U and -3U UK LPs tonally. I'd definitely keep that one. My apologies if I've misrepresented Mr. Hoffman's viewpoint.

nick99nack, kozy814 and Dan The Man1 like this.
  7. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

BFS, '65 mix Help!(which you have in the mono box) and MMT.

8. Scott6

Thanks for responses everyone. Will purchase LIB, BFS and HDN. All £6.99 in HMV currently.

905 likes this.
  9. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

Beatles Mono vs Stereo (thread number 812)

Dammit! Thread number 812? I was still enjoying number 811!

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The 1987 version of Abbey Road for me. The 2009 CD (as well as the 24 bit version) sounds bloated.

11. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Definitely. "Beatles For Sale" is the clearly the album in which the stereo version really smokes the mono mix, in terms of the sound quality. (But if you're looking instead for the album in which the mono mix and stereo mix are the most different from each other -- in terms of how the instruments and vocals are balanced and treated -- then you have to go with "The White Album" or "Sgt. Pepper.")

12. Scott6

Thanks. Is the stereo Hard Days Night as good? I adore the mono Hard Days Night and wondered if the stereo 2009 version was even better.

13. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

No, unfortunately. It's the one 2009 remaster that went a little bit awry, I think. The opening guitar chord on the title track has an odd defect (not too noticeable, but it's there), and the whole thing sounds "boxed in" and lacks the open, spacious presence and room ambiance that "Beatles For Sale" has.

Even the "Hard Day's Night" CD booklet is problematic. It has a horribly grainy and dark reproduction of the iconic alleyway shot you can see everywhere else in great quality. It's so bad, in fact, I think it must have been put there only as a temporary placeholder, and they intended to swap it out with a high-res version of the photo and simply forgot.

14. Scott6

Finally got around to purchasing Beatles For Sale in HMV on Friday. All Beatles CD's reduced currently. Agree with what people have said - it really does sound great. Compared the mono Rock n Roll Music with the stereo 2009 version and the stereo version jumps out of the speakers.

So as well as the mono box I now have from the 2009 stereo issues - Abbey Road, Let It Be, Sgt. Pepper, White Album and Beatles For Sale. Should I go for Hard Day's Night? Some people have said yes others stick with mono??? Advise appreciated as always.

MitchLT likes this.
  15. FarcicalEpiphany

FarcicalEpiphany Forum Resident

For a complete song catalog you still need either the 2009 Past Masters or Past Masters 2 from the first CD run for three songs: "The Ballad of John And Yoko", "Old Brown Shoe" and the IMHO superior single mix of "Let It Be". Those are stereo exclusives.

Rickchick, Hombre and DK Pete like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...agreed on the single mix of LIB being the superior one. A couple of weeks ago I heard an interesting mix of both versions on SIRIUS's Classic Vinyl station. They had the leslie'd solo and the heavier, crunchy one playing at the same time on opposite sides. A bit messy but interesting.

Rickchick likes this.
  17. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Both sets needed

18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Yeah get A Hard Day's Night in stereo, it sounds great.

19. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I got the Mono vinyl set a couple of months ago and I am very surprised at how much I enjoy it.
    Obviously I heard mono only when I was a kid and I swear it took me back.
    As far as the "mono-vs-stereo" question I'll say all the way up to and including Revolver mono all the way, the rest of them I can't be so definite.
    Pepper, MMT, White Album, some cuts from these albums I like better in stereo and some I like better in mono.

(I know I have posted this in other threads but I would love for Giles Martin to do a stereo remix of Rubber Soul and Revolver)

Rickchick likes this.
  20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Get the USB stick. Amazing sound quality. Got mine recently.

Michael P and oboogie like this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The stereo mix sounds great, but it was mangled on the 2009 remaster. Unfortunately there isn't a digital alternative for the whole album. 9 tracks from the album are on the first Capitol box (8 on Something New, 1 on Beatles '65), and those sound better.

22. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

IMHO....All you need is the 87’s and the 09’ Mono Box sets and you’ll have the best. AHDN and BFS may jump out in stereo, but that doesn’t make them sound better. If you want stereo for the first 4, then go for needledrops of BC13 Parlophone pressings.

23. Jim F12

Jim F12 Member

I bought the Beatles in Mono as soon as it was released in 2009. I listened to most of it but then I put it away for keep it like new. I recently got it out to listen to the mono version of the White Album since the 2018 Anniversary edition will be issued in Nov. 2018. I found at least one defect and there could be a few more but on Disc 2, track 9 "Honey Pie" there is a errant sound in the second half of that track. It is hard to describe but I know it does not belong there. I don't know if anyone else has found any other issues with this version. Please let me know and if someone wants to hear the sound on this track I can email the file so you can listen to it.
    Jim

24. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

First four albums: MONO
    The rest: STEREO

Scott6 and Dan The Man1 like this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree. The best bet is a nice, clean Parlophone 70’s reissue if you don’t want to spend too much. I might actually say the same about Beatles for Sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.