Universal's 'The Mummy' (2017 movie)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Karnak, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Did someone not call this The Mummy - Re-wrapped?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Looks awful. Another CGI fest.

Hollywood and modern movies suck big time.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The movie just looks so bad compared to some of the other ones out there. This is why I don't even go to movie theaters anymore and just like the classic films instead.

Instead of the theater, I just watch classic movies online, on TV, or Netflix.

MoonPool and alexpop like this.
  4. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Does the soundtrack actually include "Paint It Black" like the commercials indicate? Sometimes there is a fakeout like when the previews for Ocean's 11 indicated "Go Down Gambling" was in the movie - it wasn't.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

no.

Karnak likes this.
  6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Did you catch the book used by the female archaeologist to knock out one of Hydes guys? It was a nice low key nod to the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Oozes money, running out of ideas, and struggling.

MoonPool likes this.
  9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Just to update, I saw It Comes at Night today. And while it is brilliantly made, I did not enjoy it. The movie is a big, BIG downer -- I cannot emphasize that enough.

10. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

No point in seeing it then. LOL

11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Pretty common these days.
    I was shocked that the Winnie the Pooh trailer used Keane's song "Somewhere Only We Know" which was actually perfect for the trailer. But it was nowhere in the movie. (I thought maybe they'd use it over the credits).

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  12. I actually think the stunt with the plane is an incredible bit of filmmaking and co spidering part of it was filmed the vomit comet plane adds a sense of reality that wires couldn't provide. That said, it looks like it's less than the sum of its parts. I will still go see it and the idea for this reboot is entertaining and creative (much as Stephen Sommers "The Mummy" was a successful,and creative reboot). I do think that, perhaps, the organization run by Jekyll probably needed its own film dealing with multiple creatures. This took its premise from the approach used for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by way of Penny Dreadful (where public domain characters are thrown together to create a new sort of gothic asthetic).

13. I liked it until the way the ending was portrayed. The last third was really the weakest part of the film. Earlier the sense of impeding dread worked in the film's favor.

That flaw aside, I thought it was a very good psychological thriller that relied too much on Travis' pov for the story and there were threads that they started to develop that went nowhere and could have added up to potential conflict making the film much more powerful. I didn't hate (downer films are ok with me provided they earn that right to leave it that way) the film but did feel that the conclusion was foregone and I would have liked to be surprised a bit more. The foreshadowing of the ending was just way too much for me as well but the performances largely salvaged those sequences. Skillfully made, the film lacks the punch it should have and promised.

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

See the movie called The Pyramid.. much more scarier than this...

15. Certainly it's unraveling

MikaelaArsenault and John B Good like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, this is not good...

Why ‘The Mummy’ Turned Crummy At The Domestic B.O. & What This Means For Uni’s ‘Dark Universe’

I'm surprised to hear that, but you're right: that 2011 trailer is up on YouTube and does use that song. It's a great song, but I feel like they kind of shoehorned it into the trailer. And good god, did that animation look terrible. (But that's me.)

Often the deal is that the trailers were done a couple of months before the movie was locked and actually in theaters, so the real music just isn't done yet, and the trailer editors & producers have to use something, so they make a creative choice and go for it. What's really weird is when the trailers have shots or scenes not even in the final film, because the film is still in the process of being cut.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I saw it tonight. I really enjoyed it, while agreeing with much you say. I have recently been listening and re-listening to a Terence McKenna lecture on alchemy. If you're interested in the movie -- whether you have seen it or plan to see it -- delve into this lecture at about the 10:26 mark:

Terence goes into quite a bit about the Hermetic tradition (Corpus Hermeticum), under which resides alchemy (Alchemy meaning Egypt or out of Egypt) and particularly the role of mercury in the alchemical tradition. Mercury -- not just at the superficial or metaphoric level -- but as the metaphysical keystone of the film. Indeed, to my mind, mercury is the lifeblood of the movie, and considering it as such really gives the movie a much grander metaphysical dimension to think about.

18. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

It was an interesting film, more violent and sinister than I thought it would be. I guess I wasn't expecting much beyond a typical adventure movie, so I left the theater satisfied.

MikaelaArsenault and neo123 like this.
  19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

And that is the way I feel about any movie I see. If I walk away from a movie satisfied, it was worth seeing. Despite the ending, which I thought could've been better, I was still satisfied with The Mummy, overall.

MikaelaArsenault and 5th-beatle like this.
  20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its too bad they've gone down the wannabe-Marvel route and are trying to make these monster franchises into comic book action movies. Perhaps its too much to hope for classic Universal films of yesterday, but surely there's a happy medium they could persue. I dunno, the whole dark universe thing seems really dumb to me.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nothing worse than a weekend theatre viewing, torture ..and you pay for it.

22. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I'm no expert, but if you want to want to start a Universal Monster series, they picked the wrong monster (and star).

The Brendan Fraser series worked because the world was starved for another Indiana Jones movie (much like how True Lies worked as an old fashioned Bond clone).

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah ..the first two were good.
    A kick start for The Rock.

24. That's too bad as I was hoping this might have some potential. This lacked the wit of Sommers' take n The Mummy. If there was a time to build a universe perhaps they should have moved forays with a different saga. I think having Crowe in a film about the agency that protects again creatures with an original gothic styled film might have worked. John Logan would have been perfect fit as far as writing. Maybe they should acquire the Penny Dreadful series and use that as a template as that already has an established mythology.

Alan G. and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Sometimes those trailers are valuable because they contain "lost footage." I believe there is a brief "Renovation sequence" scene in the original Wizard of Oz trailers that was taken from the much longer scene where Dorothy and crew return to Oz with the witch's broom. But that entire scene was cut from the movie and then destroyed, so the trailer is the only place you can find it.

This is a poor quality video from Youtube, but the very brief renovation sequence is 45 seconds in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.