"Orange is the New Black" Netflix series...any fans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dbacon, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So my mother won't let me watch this show with her. She said that I shouldn't be watching it. Why though? Is the show not appropriate?

2. Appropriate for George Carlin, yes. Maybe not so appropriate Eleanor Roosevelt. Most of us are somewhere in the middle of those extremes.

With its much lesbian love, drug use, prison-stall-nudity and blue language, sure, it's appropriate. :D

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

So that's why?

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Pretty much so, yes. But you're 17 now so I don't know why your mother would protest if you watched it on your own. I can see why she might be uncomfortable watching it with you. Personally, I find the show kind of overrated. Especially after watching Wentworth, which is sort of an Australian version, but much more serious and hard edge. I'm not sure if your mother would watch that with you either. ;)

5. MikaelaArsenault

I think that's why too.

6. MikaelaArsenault

My mother is currently binge watching this at the moment. She loves the show so much and heard such good reviews about it too. Already, she is on Season 2.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Mrs. Fullbug is currently bingewatching Wentworth. 10 hours and counting. No dinner or laundry tonight. Send help.

MikaelaArsenault and RayS like this.
  8. Heh. Nobody is talking about Season 5.

Is it because y'all watched it a month ago when it was hacked? :whistle:

I've only watched the first two episodes, aaaaaand... Wheewww... Not very good. Then again it hasn't been very good for the last three seasons. Even then it was just popcorn TV.

But, I'll watch it all, because my wife must watch it. Still, she's turning up her nose.

I hope it's the last season. Much better popcorn TV is The Strain.

9. MikaelaArsenault

The answer:

It's due to the hackers.

10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Isn't OITNB signed on for at least two more seasons? I think it might be Netflix's most popular original series so I would be surprised to see it end now. I'll probably start season 5 this week, but I'm not really looking forward to it. I pretty much agree with your assessment of the show. I'm much more looking forward to the next season of Wentworth. Popcorn TV to be sure, but really entertaining stuff, IMO.

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I was ready to abandon it after the end of last season, but I did wind up watching a bunch of season 5 episodes (I have not gotten to the end). More power to anyone who continues to enjoy it, but, IMO, they really seem to be out of even semi-plausible ways for the plot to move forward. The subplot with Caputo's girlfriend is simply ridiculous. And the Blair Brown character has more than outstayed her welcome for me, and then some.

A 6th and 7th season have already been signed on. Getting some of the characters paroled and following them on the outside (which they appear to be experimenting with ever so slightly) seems about the only way they can go, or so it seems.

12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Jenji Cohan had a similar problem with Weeds...it went on way too long.

13. It could be better if they brought the show outside of the pen and followed these women around. At the very least it would break the 4-walls-and-a-bar-of-soap thing they've been slinging for 5 seasons.

MikaelaArsenault, RayS and GodShifter like this.
  14. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

I'm about halfway through S5, the show has become absurd. Large male prison guards allowing themselves to be pushed around by a single female prisoner? Red turning into a cartoon character? Piper having no actual storyline? Crazy Eyes walking happily around with her girlfriend the day after smashing her face to a pulp? This show's fallen off a cliff.

Scott222C, kouzie, Deesky and 6 others like this.
  15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

IMO you could say the same about 90% of the characters at this point.

drasil and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Are you saying that prison guards don't willingly deliver Chippendales routines during extended "riots" at female prisons all the time? :)

17. I bailed somewhere into season 3. The show lost it's way and just became too silly. I really liked the first 2 seasons.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I loved the previous season. I thought it ended on a strong, shocking finale and cliffhanger. I've watched the first 3 episodes of the new season and I feel it's just painting itself into a disappointing corner.

RayS likes this.
  19. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I've only finished the first two episodes of the new season. What a mess--the riot just makes all the characters act like bigger idiots than usual. No one is likeable anymore. In real life, wouldn't the National Guard have stormed the prison by now? Also, that older lady (who was in the girl scouts as a girl), with a huge fallout bunker in the basement (that looks about 1500 square feet) that no one knows about?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. Heh. Yeah, just like we were talking about in the Better Call Saul thread, this Bunker is possible, but highly improbable.

Even if one were to create a hideaway like that in prison, how long could you actually stay down there without being missed at your job, or for roll call, of any other thing they make prisoners hop-to behind bars?

Plus, didn't the old lady have a job in the gardening crew at one time? No dice.

GodShifter and The Slug Man like this.
  21. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I was looking forward to season 5 (enjoyed all of the previous seasons) but I can't make it beyond 3 episodes. I'm sure it's already been mentioned but this show has 'jumped the shark.' The 'riot' story-line and related dialogue is just not believable. A shame because they have a lot to work with in these characters. Another case of lousy scripts damaging what was a good show.

GodShifter and The Slug Man like this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought the last season was pretty bad, but truly, S5 is a real shark jumping dumpster fire! It's become am aimless comedy farce, but not in a good way. The hard, dramatic edges that the first couple seasons had have been completely jettisoned and the terrible things some of the characters had done in the past were completely papered over to make everyone 'zany & quirky' because...comedy! Everything was completely implausible. Horrible, just horrible.

Scott222C likes this.
  23. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I stopped after I think 4 episodes. My Netflix was having technical difficulties and I didn't like Season 5 enough to even try to troubleshoot. Maybe one day I'll finish it. The only time I laughed (considering it's a "comedy" now) is when Blair Brown was asked why she was walking so slowly and she said, "I don't know, maybe because I've got A1 sauce in my eyes and a board strapped to my back" (makes sense in context).

24. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

I still can't get over how much they changed Doggert after Season 1. When she got a new set of teeth it seems they supplied her with a totally different personality also.

The Slug Man likes this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Hmmm....didn't find this season comedic in the least. Pretty tragic, in fact. I liked it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.