Finally heard The Stooges' FUN HOUSE -- Wow!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

What a great, snarling record -- with an unexpected groove. I waited for the two-disc Rhino remasters of the first two records to hit the record clubs and just got my copies. By chance I opened the second album first, and was immediately blown away by the music. For the first time in years, a legendary album I hadn't heard was as good as its legend.

It's not as hectic and, well, punky as I was expecting from the "godfathers of punk." It's much more groove oriented. I read in the liner notes that they recorded live in the studio including the vocals, one song per day to keep the vibe real (and, incidentally, producing all the alternate takes that resulted in the very OOP and very eBay expensive Rhino Handmade box dedicated to the sessions).

Anyway, if you've ever been pinned by a Stooges fanatic, or more likely been puzzled by one of their posts, that FUN HOUSE is one of the greatest albums ever made and The Stooges should be the R&RHOF, well, maybe they're right . . .

DeeThomaz likes this.
  2. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Maybe I should get it. I have the s/t, and didn't get into it all THAT much. I mean, it was decent, but not something that really excited me. Now you've piqued my interest.

3. Roland Stone

I haven't listened to the first album yet, so I can't offer a comparison, Daveman.

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It's a whole 'nother animal to the first album, much more loopy and free-jazz oriented, almost Beefheartesque in spots. For guys who could barely play, The Stooges made an alarmingly cohesive noise at times.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

I recently bought both the s/t & Funhouse(original Elektra cds) for the first time too. I like them both, but i've found myself listening to s/t more; i find it spookier, even though Funhouse has the freakier material.

I can only imagine how this sounded in 1969. :eek:

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Next time you come home stop by and I'll play it for you. It's a mother.
    :agree:
    Peace-
    Norm

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That must have been right before Larry retired..

8. live evil

live evil Senior Member

ron - did these titles include the outer sleeves?
    i've noticed that a lot of titles that i have ordered from yourmusic have not included the outer sleeves.

9. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Wise Guy!
    :D
    N

11. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Fun House walks all over any of the purportedly but oh-so-self-conscious "rock" or "punk-rock" groups of today. You know, the whole neo-garage scene, which spans from the glam-oriented like Turbonegro to the garagey Hives et al. They are truly pathetic when compared to the real thing.

Fun House is a stone cold masterpiece. Way, way ahead of its time. I'll never tire of it.

dphilippov likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can, I wore this LP out in 69! :agree:

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...the debut is better by far...better songs, feel, fresh as hell!

it's 1969, OK... all around the USA!

Heavy man!...GOD, I love this album
    !:laugh:

14. Roland Stone

No outer sleeves and a BMG barcode.

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Funhouse is easily in my top five albums of all-time. the new remaster kicks butt, too!

16. mfp

mfp Senior Member

The Hives are good, methink, but they sound more Raw Power than Fun House in my book.

I always thought he said "War accross the USA"???

I don't know which I like better: evidently, 1969 has the better songs, and I really like the way the lead guitar screams out and way up front.
    But Fun House... It's like... This album actually scares me.

17. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

An amazing album. I heard it for the first time not long ago (a year or so, iirc). I love how the two sides are very much two different animals - Side One being basically a handful of songs, and Side Two being this progression towards the chaos that is "L.A. Blues".

I even started a poll about just that a while back.

Dropping the needle on "T.V. Eye" for the first time with the volume cranked up loud was, er.. an interesting experience :D ("LAAWWRRDD... !!!").

unclesalty likes this.
  18. shakti

shakti Senior Member

I'll agree with that! But then, they pale next to Raw Power too...just my opinion. :shh:

My bandmate came up with a good description...saying that the big "schism" in rock could be the line between those who consider Raw Power the greatest album ever and those who reserve that title for Fun House. Even though it's almost the same band and only 3 years apart, they are quite different.

19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Funhouse is much better - they really came into their own on that album.

20. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

What took you so long?

:uhhuh:

21. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Fun House is the most visceral record I own. What do I mean? Well, it's the record that best produces some kind of gut reaction, making me elated and angry all at the same time.

I first learned about the record back in the mid 80s when I had a subscription to Spin. Henry Rollins had a column, briefly, and he devoted one to FH. Everything he said about the record was true: it's a masterpiece of anarchy. Records like this are why I've never needed drugs.

Never got into Raw Power or S/T nearly as much.

22. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Fun House and S/T are probably BOTH in my top ten albums ever. The keys to enlightenment...

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I bought their first album in 69 when it came out because of the similarity in cover design to the Doors first album and it being on Elektra. I was kinda expecting a Doors type sound. When I played it I was disappointed but really like "We Will Fall" after playing it several times I got into it and bought Funhouse as soon as it appeared. Landed up liking that one better. It remains a favorite to this day.

24. jaydee

jaydee Member

I have to disagree with this. This ST has "We Will Fall" which is bascially pure filler, and the only song that has the bite of anything on Fun House is "I Wanna Be Your Dog". Plus with Fun House you get the Steve Mackay free jazz inspired freak-out thing. Still, I'm talking about 4.5 stars vs. 5 stars, so get both and enjoy!

25. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I have to say Funhouse is in my top all time albums as you can see from my avatar (no surprise there).Was actually about to give up hope that it would be ever remastered and was bidding on Ebay for the very limited oop Rhino Handmade box of a couple of years ago.Was also even thinking of buying the Sundazed vinyl and buying a TT but rejected that due to cost and space on my rack.I read someone on this board said they thought the 2cd remaster was actually an improvement over the Sundazed pressing saying the Sundazed sounded too bright.Any thoughts from those who own both?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.