Starring David Janssen as The Fugitive

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

The middle page there gives it away, doesn't it? "Tonight, viewers learn whodunit ...". Accompanied by a photo of the one-armed man. Let me guess ...

2. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

This was fixed for the complete-series set - eventually. There's a 237-page thread at Home Theater Forum with all the gory details, but going from memory the short version is that the complete-series set was initially recalled as soon as it was released, then when it was re-released quite some time later, it was quickly discovered that the replacement music cues were somehow still present on some of the discs. A disc replacement program was cranked up, and eager buyers who'd suffered through this debacle were finally able to get a reasonably definitive complete-series set with the correct music cues. The set has since been reissued again in compact packaging at a lower price point, but I have no idea if there were any issues with that release. I'm sure the details are in the massive HTF thread.

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011

steelydanguy and bmasters9 like this.
  3. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

There were issues with the compact package with the music, so they sent me the larger corrected box set instead of replacement discs.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What do both boxes look like ?

5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I once had a long conversation with Barry Morse's son on a train journey from my hometown to London. Bizarre how these things happen!

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Get Smart
    "Don't Look Back"
    Season 3 Episode 18

Wrongfully convicted of murder, Maxwell Smart escapes on the way to his execution and sets out to find the real killer

Written by Phil Leslie and Norman Paul
    Directed by Don Adams

Guest star Bruce Gordon (Frank Nitti on The Untouchables)
    Cameo by Milton Berle

The courtroom scene include bits from Adams' classic standup routine "Defense Attorney" (which he had done on The Steve Allen Show in 1957)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Director Adams gives us a classic noir shot in the flophouse lobby

[​IMG]

Get Smart - S 3 E 18 - Don't Look Back - Video Dailymotion

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  7. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

sanQ, Dave Garrett and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

9. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Yes - if you get the replacements for the five defective discs. I don't know if the replacement program is still in effect. I would assume that there are still some copies of the set out there that have the original, defective discs.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Wish it was corrected. 3rd time lucky.

11. JozefK

Denny Miller on doing the Fugitive episode "Approach With Care":

The story took place mainly in and around a real carnival. The character I played was that of a man with the mind of a 7-year- old. Type Casting!

We started almost at dawn with a chilly mist on the ground. The carnival workers were just waking up. In make-up, the word was passed along that everyone should keep the noise down because Mr. Jansen had lost $70,000 the night before in Vegas and was unhappy with himself and the world. David and I, had a 9-page scene to do. Lots of dialogue. We faced each other to start rehearsal. David asks for the script. The director told him what page the scene started on. While David thumbed through the pages, he ordered a cup of coffee, asked about the Dodgers' baseball score, said "Hi" to a friend, pointed out to himself that he would screw up at a speech he had about half way through the scene, and then nodded to me to start.

I had spent hours working on the scene at home. He had it down in the time it took him to thumb through the pages. Of the hundreds of actors I've worked with over the years, Mr. Janssen was by far the quickest study. We did the master shot in 2 takes. I've asked other actors that had worked with him if he was fooling with me or playing a joke or was he really that fast, and they all, without exception, said, " NO." That was really how fast a learner he was. He was amazing!!!!!!!!​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. alexpop

Left the building so young 48.
    Last appearance was in Centennial

Steve Litos and sanQ like this.
  13. JozefK

Actually Janssen did several things after Centennial, including the very underappreciated TV movie The Golden Gate Murders with Susannah York. It's a murder mystery/romance. Janssen and York work surprisingly well together; the last shot is a classic.

sanQ and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

My bad.

15. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

I remember the day of Janssen's funeral. A newspaper headlined the article: "The Fugitive Goes Home". The sad brilliance of that line chokes me up to this day.

Simon A, kevinsinnott and sanQ like this.
  16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Not really - the dvd box looks fantastic!

17. alexpop

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't know if he was a hard liver (ahem), but I distinctly remember seeing him absolutely plowed on the Tonight Show. Slurring his words, distracted, and referring to the young lady next to him as Olivia John Newton.
    Even my old man was amazed that someone let him come out.

fr in sc likes this.
  19. He was a heavy drinker and, like fellow early-dyer Rod Serling, a heavy smoker. An excellent combination for a heart attack, which is what done him in.

fr in sc likes this.
  20. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

James Garner thought Jansen died young because of the often physical demands of a weekly hour long drama series. Garner said that among people like himself, Jansen and Jim Arness, they would always tell each other when they found a new doctor to help with physical pains.
    Sheer speculation but back in the 1970s the effects of alcohol and medication were poorly understood (Karen Anne Quinlan, Howard Cosell on a Monday night football game in 1970 in Philadelphia). Tobacco couldn't have helped either.

fr in sc and sanQ like this.
  21. JozefK

Judge for yourself:

22. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

So far, I don't think anyone has mentioned the original concept for the final two-part episode. Can't recall where I read about it, but had it been filmed as conceived it would've undoubtably been an even more daring and spectacular conclusion than the filmed one, plot-wise. The concept was this (spoiler): as envisioned, the one arm man actually wasn't the killer, he was a thief who stumbled onto the murder scene and saw the killer. The actual killer was supposed to be Kimble's brother-in-law who'd had an affair with his wife. Richard had left the house to cool off after an argument. His brother-in-law dropped by to "console" her and take advantage of the situation. She resisted his advances and was killed fending him off. The brother-in-law immediately fled the scene, as did the one-armed man who Richard saw leaving the house.

As I recall, this was to be resolved in the final episode by the dying one-armed man recognizing the brother-in-law who'd been helping Kimball evade capture at the behest of Richard's sister intermittently during the series.

If filmed as originally conceived it would've been a perfect story arc with an incredible shocker and a wildly unexpected twist, but given the sensitivities of the era either the producers or the network nixed the idea. If anyone has more background on this, please share it. Alas, the source of the unrealized finale story concept eludes me, but I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it. :laugh:

:cheers:
    Cat

fr in sc, sanQ and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

Reads familiar.
    But, everyone was rooting for the one armed man to be caught. Always evasive, jumping on a greyhound bus, just before the shows end credits :).

24. JozefK

I've also read that in the discussion stage the BIL was to be the killer. I don't know who 86ed that idea.

As for surprises, I'm shocked no one has mentioned the great schoolyard rumor of the '60s, in which the killer turns out to be Lt Gerard.

fr in sc likes this.
  25. JozefK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.