BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds intriguing based on the description:

Released in January 1974, ‘Here Come The Warm Jets’ was Brian Eno’s debut solo release following his departure from Roxy Music. The album draws on both his glam and prog roots but its experimental nature also made it quite unlike anything that’d ever come before. It was also to prove a huge influence on the best of the British punk and post-punk bands that followed it . This new gatefold 2LP vinyl edition of ‘Here Come The Warm Jets’ is presented over two 180GM discs which play at 45rpm for optimum sound quality. High resolution mastering from the best known sources and half-speed cutting were supervised by Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios. Each album contains an Obi, Download Voucher and Abbey Road Half Speed Master certificate.
    Here Come The Warm Jets [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music

also Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World and Before and after Science!

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've been waiting on news for Brian Eno's early Lp's to be reissued for a long time.
    The fact it's going to be these Half Speed Mastered 2x45's format is the worst news i can think of.
    Warm Jets is a short LP, about 40 minutes, splitting it over 4 sides is totally ridiculous.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

There not well produced to start with tinny sounding( cept No Pussyfooting)can't harm them to get the 45rpm treatment.

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Another Green World is an automatic buy. Surprisingly, I don't actually have a vinyl copy.

Rickchick likes this.
  5. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

Another Green World I might have to buy even though I already own a clean first pressing. One of the greatest albums ever.

fallbreaks, SuntoryTime and s m @ like this.
  6. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Got excited then...45rpm....a) expensive and b) pointless formatting. Can't we just we have a straight reissue instead?

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It ticks all the right boxes:

1. 180 gram vinyl
    2. Half Speed mastered at Abbey Road
    3. High resolution mastering
    4. From the best known sources
    5. Obi & certificate
    6. Miles Showell

Instant non purchase!

Or was any of these "halfspeedmasteredatabbeyroadfromthebestknownsources" things as good as a vintage copy? I've heard good things about "New Gold Dream" but for the asking price of these I'm going to stick with my original copies, thank you!

8. Neonbeam

What he said!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  9. Here Come The Lukewarm Jets..

Really can't be bothered with 45 rpm product for a single l.p. I'll stick with my original Island pink rim.

10. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

No they weren't. Original vinyl for Jets, Mountain, Science and Green sound great, as do the post 2004 Simon Heyworth mastered CDs which have been highly praised for sounding similar.

Bass was fully present and correct, courtesy of fabulous playing by the likes of Percy Jones.

11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Can you provide an example? I'd like to have a listen to what you think is "tinny".

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  12. alexpop

Beg to differ.
    AGW uk orig is better than earlier albums, production wise..sound.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    audiotom likes this.
  13. alexpop

Don't know what your listening on as your profile is not filled out, no biggie ..but.

14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

audiotom likes this.
  15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Not so much surprising as shocking. But then I don't have it either. :)

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

2 x 180gm., 45rpm. A crime against the album. I bet it uses heavy-weight glossy vinyl-coated card too. Pretentiousness to boot.

The Abbey road master of Faust s/t does sound good. But that's as a healthy 33.3 rpm

At least with a cassette you don't need to keep turning it over every 10.25 minutes.

17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

My favorite from Another Green World:

audiotom and ZenMango like this.
  18. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Is Before & After Science going to be renamed Before, Just Before & Just After, After Science?
    Also wonder if they will print the Tom Phillips' prints in two halves each.
    I love this album and I buy 45rpm LPs but really not convinced these albums need opening up with a wider soundstage.
    Eno's approach to music is more painterly /impressionistic and this feels a bit like high res scanning a Monet painting.

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I like good sound quality and well-made products. I dislike collectorism, artification and vinyl fetishism.

20. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

I hate all double albums that would fit a single one. That's why I didn't buy any of Eno's recent albums.

21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Nobody's heard them, and already they are deemed terrible!

These records are very difficult to find these days. When you do find then, they are expensive. While I'd prefer single albums vs double 45 RPM, if they sound great, I'll buy them. Abbey Road has been doing great work over the last few years.

rollo5 and davenav like this.
  22. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

"High resolution mastering" sounds like they are probably digital? I have 80s EG Editions for all of these so I doubt I'll pick them up but it's nice to see them in print again.

audiotom and Dennis Metz like this.
  23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Possibly. The great-sounding CDs from the 2000s were made from DSD transfers.

ispace and bleachershane like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Haha.... that's actually how I heard them first, "Tiger Mountain" and "Green World" from cassettes from the local library. Loved Roxy, knew about Eno, already had read reviews in my dad's musicpapers so I borrowed them. What struck me was how incredibly easy these records tapes were to listen to and love. They opened up a whole sonic/ cultural universe.

audiotom and DRM like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Well... based on experience. Those OBI Abbey Road halfspeeds are a tiny little bit gimmicky.

Over here those early Eno albums definitely are neither rare nor expensive. At least you consider 10-25€ prohibitively. There have been so many reissues through the 80s.

audiotom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.