Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Hmm. Have never even made my way to that section of the forum at all. Will need to take a peek.

2. iwokeinrelief

François Dufrêne - Oeuvre Désintégrale 3CD box

[​IMG]

I really wish Alga would put out move of their lovely vinyl sets on CD - getting the Avant sets on CD would be amazing. Finally found a US seller on Discogs for this, glad to be able to listen to this again; just great concrete sound poetry.

93curr likes this.
  3. iwokeinrelief

IT'S SO GOOD.

La Monte Young & Marian Zazeela - The Tamburas Of Pandit Pran Nath
    [​IMG]

ispace, jay.dee, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  4. iwokeinrelief

This is one of those CDs that gets better the louder you play it...

John Cale / Tony Conrad / Angus MacLise / La Monte Young / Marian Zazeela ‎– Inside The Dream Syndicate Volume I: Day Of Niagara (1965)
    [​IMG]

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Yesterday, I had my first listen of a recent purchase to Simone Beneventi/Flavio Virzi Primes, composed music for percussion and electric guitar. Wonderful album. It would be interesting to see the scores for the guitar because it's mostly noise and effects, with only a little straight forward guitar playing. I'm not familiar with any of the composers: Luigi Manfrin, Giovanni Mancuso, Gabriele Manca, Riccardo Nova and Mauro Montalbetti.

I discovered Simone Beneventi a couple of weeks ago on Qobuz. I don't really remember what I was looking for when his latest album came up. It's from last October and is percussion and piano. I skipped right buy it seeing it was on Stradivarius. I figured it was a classical strings album. Fortunately, I noticed that he was a percussionist. After listening to a few tracks on that album, and on each of the other two available, I bought all three. This is the first I've listened to.

[​IMG]

Luigi Manfrin, Giovanni Mancuso, Gabriele Manca, Riccardo Nova, Mauro Montalbetti: Primes

iwokeinrelief likes this.
  6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Jeroen Van Veen - Minimal Piano Collection: Volume XXI - XXVIII (disc 8)

Since buying Van Veen's Ten Holt boxed set, I can't get enough minimalist piano. Disc 8 has Terry Riley's Keyboard Studies, Harold Budd Children on the Hill and La Monte Young Composition No. 7. The first four discs of this box contains what is supposedly the first minimalist work, Dennis Johnson's November. It's very similar to Morton Feldman's long compositions which I assume were very influence by November.

[​IMG]

7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Keith Rowe/Toshi Nakamura: Weather Sky

on erstwhile records

Still mind-bendingly wonderous all these years later.

The later "Between" 2 CD set is more balanced it maybe lacks the visceral impact of the original

medium Rob, iwokeinrelief and 93curr like this.
  8. iwokeinrelief

Going to need to pick up these collections, they look great!
    + Purchased :)

9. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

When I go out to gigs I generally stick a music book in the bag to read on the train. I'm about halfway through this right now and can recommend it. The only trouble is...more music to buy after reading about it.

[​IMG]

Marzz, iwokeinrelief and 93curr like this.
  10. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Until recently I didn't know the name Tyshawn Sorey at all although if I'd been paying attention I guess I should have noticed it on Ingrid laubrock's Serpentines

This was mentioned by Alex Hawkins in the piece he wrote on free music in the 400th issue of The Wire and so I picked it up on a visit to Ray's Jazz last week.

[​IMG].

Marzz, porter_esq, Tlay and 1 other person like this.
  11. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

Graham Lambkin / Taku Unami - The Whistler (Erstwhile)

sort of a patchwork or collage of sound events, spread over two discs. not sure if it does much for me

12. Dahabenzapple

Have you heard the Lambkin collaberations with Jason Lescalleet? I'm ambivalent about Unami as he seems to be more of a visual artist/soundscape dude rather than a focused musician.

13. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

Air Supply is one of my favorite Ersts. I actually prefer Unami's 'take' of the two discs (on The Whistler), I believe disc one is his version of the events, and disc two is Lambkin's take.

14. Dahabenzapple

I strongly recommend John Escreet's "The Unknown" - a quartet with the leader on piano, John Hebert on bass, Evan Parker on tenor with Sorey on drums. Live in great sound. 2 expensive tracks. I've seen them twice and Tyshawn pushed the great saxophonists real hard the second time leading to a mind-blowing 75 minute set. He's one of the great drummers/musicians of our time.

Marzz and Roger Thornhill like this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Amazon. They have all 3 releases(well, 3rd parties do).

iwokeinrelief likes this.
  16. iwokeinrelief

Yeah, I saw. Still debating dropping $30 on it. I'm sure I'll break down eventually...

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yeah I know what you're talking about. I have to be careful when I visit this thread. I took advantage of the Firehouse 12 sale the last time I was here.

ispace, Marzz and iwokeinrelief like this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Reading about this you might be tricked into imagining it's a monastic chant piece. But when I listened to it this evening I thought it was an amazing variation on the likes of pieces by Phill Niblock. There are long drones here, but lots of textures that I suppose you can only get from the human voice. As such, it should interest even those not in the chant thing.....

Marzz, scompton and iwokeinrelief like this.
  19. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Satoshi Ashikawa - "Still Way:Wave Notation 2" (1982)

[​IMG]

Frustratingly long out-of-print (and extremely pricey) the collection of minimalist pieces arranged for harp, piano, flute and vibraphone. The composer passed away shortly after making this record and this set seems to be his only material ever released.

SquaRoots, sberger and iwokeinrelief like this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Keith Rowe/Toshi Nakamura: Between - disc 1

Two spellbinding tracks of 34:51 & 24:35 (Vienna & July)

Recorded July 2005 at Amman Studios in Vienna

Middle 41:21 track on disc 2 might be even stronger (Lausanne) recorded April 2005 in Lausanne

On erstwhile records

93curr and iwokeinrelief like this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is going cheaply - new - at Amazon.uk (£5) It's what you expect from Tudor and Cage at this point, and I enjoy it.

ispace, Marzz, Dudley Morris and 4 others like this.
  22. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Harvester - Hemåt

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen likes this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I saw that a new Roscoe Mitchell album came out yesterday and this video really make me want it.

Marzz, 93curr, sberger and 1 other person like this.
  24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Me too. Over 2 hours long. Epic.

25. Thatfabulousalien

Thatfabulousalien Well-Known Member

Oooohh, is THIS where the contemporary classical goes? :eek:

drasil likes this.