BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dom W

Dom W Forum Resident

I enjoyed the Abba Arrival 45rpm. I'm looking forward to these.

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Science is the best of the four from what I recall, UK / German first press, have you heard that one?

3. BlueSpeedway

I used to have a late 70s or early 80s repress Mountain that sounded even better than my original, although I got rid of it eventually because it skipped during Back in Judy's Jungle.

Conversely, I had a repress of Green that was noticeably less good than the more or less perfect sounding 1975 Island original.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I went off him around "Science".

Did have the original Oblique Strategies, met him twice.

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Awesome CD:edthumbs::cheers:

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That last batch with Simple Minds, Free etc were single albums and were around £30. These are double and are £24 which I think is pretty good value, I mean the cost is what most single disc reissues go for here. Obviously it will all come down to how they sound but I think these could be a good deal.

7. BlueSpeedway

Eno is well known for logically focussing on the future and (usually) having little interest in his distant past, but I'm surprised he's allowed these to be split up like that, if he had a say. They are very, very well-sequenced Side 1 / Side 2 albums, great care was taken with it at the time. Now they'll be quartered. Hung, drawn and...!

Still, in 2017 I guess hardly anyone cares about such aspects, it's all about the corporations gathering as much cash from the hip vinyl market as possible and the age old tactic of getting people to buy music they already bought.

8. Bought all the originals, love the 2 Lp 45rpm format, but suspicious of 'high resolution mastering from best known sources'.

ispace, Max Florian, Mr Bass and 2 others like this.
  9. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I thought the same. what a waste.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  10. It's Felix

and what he said

11. It's Felix

£32 on robber.co.uk sorry Amazon.co.uk

Imagine70 and BlueSpeedway like this.
  12. BlueSpeedway

:laugh: :realmad:

13. BlueSpeedway

And in perspective, the very widely praised and great-sounding 2004 CD... available from £3.40....

ispace, Max Florian, gss and 2 others like this.
  14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Do you think Eno turns a blind eye? I guess even Eno has to think about his assets and pension fund. But you make it sound like he has little to do with the details of how his stuff gets re-packaged. I'm sure he is asked – being a highly respected artist-celeberity, and I assume he has an intellectual copyright stake in his own back-catalogue, too.

I only found out the other day that John Cale pushed for the repackaging process of the VU in the early 80s due to lack of royalties coming in. It happens – and its not all coming from the big bosses upstairs.

15. BlueSpeedway

I don't recall any of the VU albums being split up over four sides... or having a £32 / $60 price tag.

16. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Well here is an information packed trailer that answers all our questions and more.

17. BlueSpeedway

:laugh: good one.

They should have had an animated pound and dollar sign dancing across the screen too...

zphage and Neonbeam like this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You've seen the new pink vinyl 1000 edition of VU&N? Not four sides, but a boutique coffee-table release, nonetheless.

My point was really about the fact that sometimes the impetus comes from the artist.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    zphage likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

My favourite was "Exile On Main Str." because there was this buzz that it was "limited" so several people got into a bidding frenzy. Guess what: Now it can be had at bargain prices. That's how limited it was :laughup:

Eno: I love these albums but no, definitely no.

Max Florian likes this.
  20. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

Was excited until I saw that they were 45RPM. I'll just continue to keep my eyes out at record stores for original pressings.

Max Florian likes this.
  21. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

I've bought a german pressing of HCTWJ from 1977 for 15 euros sans shipping just before these ones were announced. I was beggining to regret it but after reading the comments over here i'm more relaxed now.

22. BlueSpeedway

But my point was specifically about the splitting and trashing of the sequencing, which smacks of a corporate gimmick, surely not something any artist would actively seek out for such carefully sequenced, vintage, now "legendary" albums ?

Agreeing to or signing off on something is not the same as instigating it, which you were implying could be the case with these.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, but I think you were also saying that Eno is more interested in the present than the past, as if he might have had nothing to do with this, and that it would all be down to the record company.

quicksrt likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The bad news is the high rez mastering rather than cutting it analog.

The 45rpm format is a compromise -- potentially a significant improvement in sound quality over a 33 vs. the inconvenience of getting up to flip the record more often. Most classic jazz records are less than 40 minutes, and they still sound better at 45rpm than at 33 1/3rpm.

NorthNY Mark and zphage like this.
  25. BlueSpeedway

Who knows, but my perception is only based on public evidence:

Paul Morley, after raving about Eno's 1970s work: "What do you think when you think about them, these past albums..."

Brian Eno: "I don't.... (laughs)... I don't care about them!"

The Thing Is, Channel 4 TV, 1992.

drasil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.