BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I feel ungrateful and conflicted over complaining about such "first-world problems," but these aren't really what I want. What I want from these are double albums with original LP plus period-relevant outtakes on disc 2, like the My Life In the Bush of Ghosts reissue.

RHCD, ispace, Chris Bernhardt and 2 others like this.
  2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm a realist and, whilst I understand the fact that an artist gets bored to death talking back-catalogue, when it comes to money they often need it as much as the next person. I don't think Eno's art-philosophy-ideals neccessarily place him above that possibility.

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I don't think there are any out takes are there? I scoured much of Western Europe for Eno rarities in my teens in the 1980s.. there weren't many to be had... the BBC radio session, some Fripp and Eno live recordings (the best have now been released officially), a handful of non album tracks, live with Manzanera and co at the Reading Festival 1976, a rehearsal of 801, also released officially now. That was about it. But of course who knows what else exists or existed, but never leaked out.

These days I wouldn't care about out takes though, much of his work is perfect (or "perfect"!) as it was and is :)

audiotom likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Polydor, right? I don't think that was wrong. Even if you buy the new version, it's nice to have the original A/B sequence intact.

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

And Eno has never even taken the easy route and added the Finns single a/b sides onto the CD versions of Warm Jets. And I do presume he stopped that happening, despite quite possibly having no interest or say in the treatment of his own back-catalogue. :)

6. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

zphage likes this.
  7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You made the right choice. :)

8. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have original pressings but I have to be honest, the cd format works better for these pressings. The originals sound thin.

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

£23.99. Pretty cheap for a double, despite our belly-aching.

Where will these be pressed? GZ, I guess. And if so, I would also guess they will come in hard vinyl-scratching inners.

10. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Thats correct. I haven't receive it yet, do you know if that's a good pressing? Usually german pressings are quite nice.

11. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

No wonder most people think record collectors are pretentious. Chill out. I for one am looking forward to these. Originals and even reissues of these three records are pricey.

NorthNY Mark, s m @ and ad180 like this.
  12. JP Christian

I'm not complaining about £23.99 at all, for half-speed mastered doubles that's a good price - it's Amazon asking £31.99 each for them was the reason for my "???"

I hope we get white poly lined sleeves and printed inners or inserts. If not, I always keep a large stock of new inners so I'll simply clean them and use those.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  13. BlueSpeedway

That's the way to do it... question nothing, criticize nothing, hand over the money, the vinyl reissue cash grab industry's dream...

And it's four records (releases), not three.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Thrills and Neonbeam like this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Most interested in Taking Tiger Mountain, and Before and after Science, as I prefer those albums the most.

Of course, I haven't yes looked at the price tag for these.

Rickchick likes this.
  15. BlueSpeedway

Although Finns was on both the Eno box sets released in 1983 and 1993:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ispace and mr.datsun like this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

17. JP Christian

UK postage for the bundle is £6.95 on SOV site so that's not too bad.

18. I wonder if 'Before And After Science' will come with the 4 prints/cards?

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  19. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure Miles Showell only uses a digital master for this process, so I don't think these will be all analog.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

:biglaugh:You forgot: "Jazz up originals (and even reissues) as 'pricey' to justify getting the new edition" :biglaugh:

Maybe these will be well done... I just think the whole concept of these Abbey Road releases is pretty boring.

21. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

You are a lazy critic. Get over it. ENO on vinyl is needed. Especially his classic pop ones. No it's not perfect but I don't think you understand what a cash grab is.

s m @ likes this.
  22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, but never added on to the end of the album running order. :)

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

The whole vinyl reissue thing is boring, frankly. I must admit I tend to ignore it all these days. I just found it truly perplexing, and sad, that such beautifully, very carefully sequenced at the time, wonderful albums are going to be split up like this, for spurious reasons.

But..what does it matter.....

Neonbeam and Octowen like this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Eno is one of my top artists and these lps right up there

I have the original Island sky and Polydor records and early Japanese pressing

how do you wreck the continuity of the record
    doubtful these won't be more than a goosed up digitally sourced re-release

I think I will try out BAAS or AGW

Octowen likes this.
  25. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

While I don't think it'll really hurt the other 3 too much, Another Green World should NOT be split into four sides. Even split into two sides it doesn't work as well as it does on CD. That album is best listened to as a complete experience, all the way through without skipping songs or listening to them individually.
    For me, superior sound quality isn't going to be worth breaking the immersion of the record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.