BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Yes he is well known. But I believe 99% of people who own his production work do not own any of his solo albums. Totally agree about Faust though. Odd choice.

2. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

I think Peter Gabriel's first four solo records were also recently reissued as doubles that run at 45rpm and then shortly after single lp, 33rpm versions were also released. So maybe thats also going to be the case here.

Octowen, bleachershane and Joe Spivey like this.
  3. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

i will not say anything about quality as i have not heard but i am disappointed they are done at 45 rpm. no need to do this in my opinion. i'll not buy due to that alone

4. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Based on this article -

Taking Brian Eno's 2017 vinyl reissues by strategy | DAR__KO

seems a likely outcome that 33rpm would also be released at some point.

DeRosa and andres lira like this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Mind you, I'm not complaining. :) We've had decades of US (and some UK, too) Mainstream Rock and Pop being handled like the Crown Jewels (or whatever simile they use in the USA). It's high time we had some more UK but especially independently-spirited music in general mastered and pressed with the same attention to quality (although 33 1/3 rpm is really quite ok).

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

'Let’s hope these Brian Eno reissues get the same 33rpm single LP treatment down the line'

Just seemed like the writer's wishful thinking the way I read it.

7. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Another member pointed to the Peter Gabriel initial reissues in half speed 45rpm and then to a standard 33rpm and stated perhaps the same could happen with the Eno reissues. Just sharing an article I had read earlier sharing the same view and possible outcome...to me is seems a likely outcome. I hope it does because a reality!

Squiggsy68 and mr.datsun like this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's possible, but there isn't any direct connection between the two record companies to suggest that it's part of the label strategy.

Eno's catalog is at Universal Music who hired Abby Road/Miles Showell to remaster it,
    none of which are connected to Gabriel's label.

andres lira likes this.
  9. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I'm guessing that it will be German Optimal Media pressing.

Taking Tiger is over 50 minutes play time and 45rpm makes sense in this regard.

I own an early German pressing which I'm totally satisfied with. However, if this new 1/2 speed remaster sounds good I might be tempted (depending on price).

Neonbeam, JP Christian and ad180 like this.
  10. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Gabriel's albums did not go the 45 then 33 1/3 route on a mass release

Classic Records did a very limited edition all out 45 series - each record one sided of the first 4 PG albums $$$ around 2002. Classic Records also did the 33 1/3 I believe at the same time

The recent 45 releases were done by Real World records

the first 4 PG 45 releases were just awful (detail but shrill eq)
    SO, US and UP on 45 were much better - especially UP compared to 33 1/3 Classic records copies

nothing has been released since the Real World 45s

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I didn't find them "shrill" at all. Really well done, imho.

12. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Absolutely. I hate to admit it here but I just can't get into the likes of Steely Dan or the Allman Brothers :hide:.

13. audiotom

perhaps your system is a little laid back

to my ears the Real World 45 car, scratch, melt and security were too bright and tonally off

they corrected things big time with SO US UP

the original Classic 45's are phenominal - I have I III IV
    but the 33 1/3 sound wonderful too

14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

15. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

While people are worried about the digital source for these, if it's the DSD masters done around 2004/2005, then the source will be superb. Those are my go to editions of Eno's classic albums.

jimhb and patient_ot like this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agree on those CD remasters. However, unless these new LP versions are a massive upgrade from those CDs, no point to them unless you have to have everything "on vinyl". I don't, so I will wait for the reviews. Those CD remasters were as good as these albums will probably ever sound.

ispace and Merrick like this.
  17. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I agree, and I won't be buying these either. I just wanted to pass the info along for anyone who is interested.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. audiotom

19. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

I, too, am betting these will all be sourced from the 2004 DSD masters.

While those did sound good, here's a nice Fremer bit on how the pink rim Island of Warm Jets bested the CD:

"Baby's On Fire" LP vs. CD

20. Gerry Todd

Gerry Todd Forum Resident

I own 2 of these on the original E'G CD's (Warm Jets & Green World), and the other 2 are the remastered discs (Taking Tiger & Science). They all sound excellent. I absolutely agree on these 2 things:

1) These albums sound best on CD. I've heard original vinyl pressings and they're inferior to my ears.

2) I can't stand the 12" 45 format for full albums. Albums were not meant to be broken up to that degree, and I don't feel like getting up to flip sides after 2 or 3 songs. I bought 2 of the recent Gabriel reissues and couldn't stand them, especially due to the fact that the original releases sound infinitely better, even at 33 1/3. I realize that's due to other factors, but still! I do enjoy 12" singles at 45 rpm, and one album that requires constant flipping: the 2nd Joe Jackson release on five 7" records. Now that one is worth the hassle!

ispace and audiotom like this.
  21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Because DSD is higher resolution than CD.

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

At least 64 x times higher.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Fair enough. You said you thought the original covers were beauts. I feel the same about this new version of Tiger. Given Eno's interest in the visual arts. (e.g Tom Phillips doing AGW cover), I just thought this unique version would interest people.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Neonbeam and drasil like this.
  24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It worked at the time.

ad180 likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If it means something to you kudus and respect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.