Carrie Fisher suffers heart attack on plane, dies at age 60*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Addiction sucks and it's a monster trailing you throughout your life..

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is very sad. More news on Deadline:Hollywood & Variety...

[​IMG]

Carrie Fisher Had Cocaine, Heroin, Ecstasy In Her System: Deadline Hollywood
    Carrie Fisher Had Cocaine, Heroin, Ecstasy in Her System, Autopsy Shows

Cocaine is bad news for anybody at this age, because it leaves deposits in your arteries and also stresses out the heart from elevating your respiration. Awful news.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

GIRL!
    You should know better....
    NEVER MIX!

4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Gotta wonder if the stress of being in the new Star Wars movie is what caused her to relapse in the first place.

5. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

She's 60, in poor health and does this, come on. Good judgement not her strong suit.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Addicts never have what you and I call good judgment.

Andy Gibb had to choose between Victoria Principal (then literally considered one of the sexiest women on earth) and coke. Guess what he chose.

7. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Yeah, I hear that but someone who's made it to 60, addict or not should know better. I guess the addiction made the consequences seem insignificant.

Texastoyz likes this.
  8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

If your first sentence were true there would be a lot less addicts. Knowing better? You do and you don't. I think if you haven't been there either personally or with a friend/family member it's really hard to grasp how difficult it is to get and stay sober. Trashman put it best in post #581.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You do not know what leads anyone to use drugs. People do not sit down one day and say "Gee, I know these hard drugs are bad, but i'll risk it anyway". It's more like "I hurt so bad, I just want it to stop. Make me numb so I can deal with it.".

10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Unless she died as a victim of foul play, I don't give a soop how she died. Why would anyone outside of her family even need to know?

By every account I've heard she was a nice person, and she certainly brought a little joy into the world. Let's stop the judgments and let her rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2017
  11. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

My Princess had some problems but I'll always love her!

12. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

It just makes me sad , but doesn't change the way I feel about Carrie and her Legacy. She isn't the first extraordinary person to die before their time because of drug addiction. Sadly she won't be the last.

MikaelaArsenault and sunspot42 like this.
  13. Mr. Fernando

Mr. Fernando Forum Resident

Not in every case. Some of it starts as social drug use with friends.

14. Grant

You do not know what leads anyone to use drugs. People do not sit down one day and say "Gee, I know these hard drugs are bad, but i'll risk it anyway". It's more like "I hurt so bad, I just want it to stop. Make me numb so I can deal with it.".
    Whatever. No one sits down one day, goes to a party, or hangs out with friends, and says they are going to become a drug addict.

In the case of Carrie Fisher, she suffered from bi-polar disorder. It is well-known that many people with mental illness self-medicate with illicit drugs.

People are so damn quick to judge others based on scant, or no information. People who judge others base it on their own sense of morality, conveniently forgetting that everyone has a different life.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

16. Mr. Fernando

Mr. Fernando Forum Resident

Agreed.

Absolutely.

Agreed. I was just pointing out that isn't always about self-medicating. Much it does start as social use that becomes an addiction but people also self-medicate. It's a case by case thing.

MikaelaArsenault and Grant like this.
  17. Grant

My view is simply that, however someone got addicted, the first thing they need to do is get off the stuff and deal with the root causes of it second. No need to moralize it or rationalize it. Becoming an addict is not a choice. Even if you become addicted through casual/social use, you don't do it as a choice. So, to say someone had a choice is wrong.

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Could have used a trainer/cook/nutritionist. Guess she was just too busy. :shake:

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Presumably it was one-stop shopping for someone in London for only a few days. Where's would she get the phone contact?

21. Don't use any of those three. Don't even start.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Might have contributed to her death. Surely didn't help. But the incident that directly led to her death could just have easily have been the episode of severe sleep apnea. And her lengthy history of drug abuse certainly had done a lot of damage over the years - the incident they detected might not have contributed much. Too many variables to say one way or another.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Untreated Sleep Apnea can kill you but it's much less likely to kill you if you aren't doing drugs that significantly weaken your heart in the first place. By both doing the drugs and not properly treating her sleep apnea she was putting herself in a very risky situation where she was doing (at least) two things that were putting a huge strain on her heart on a regular basis.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Being too busy is all the more reason for her to hire a cook at the very least. It's not as if she couldn't have afforded it.

25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

If she wanted drugs she certainly wouldn't go to London for them as she lived in L.A.

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.