McCartney, Wings & "WILD LIFE" POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

I'm new to solo Paul/Wings and I have to say I freaking LOVE Wild Life. What a pleasure to hear Paul doing such relaxed and hooky (but not bombastic) music. I'm moving through the albums chronologically and I just have to say the first three Paul records (McCartney, Ram, this) are really impressive. Indie rock before it was indie rock.

I picked the title track (easily my favorite), "Some People Never Know," and "Tomorrow." My fourth pick would probably be "Dear Friend."

Cost me $20 on CD however. A 1993 remastered CD with bonus tracks, including "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (?!?). What the heck was THAT all about?

OobuJoobu, Mazzy, Piiijiii and 2 others like this.
  2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I've got a question for the knowledgeable vinyl agnostics (non-enthusiasts) among us. I've never been happy with the way my (original) CD sounds for this one. Very shrill to me, especially in the cymbal tone range, and I'm not really someone who is especially sensitive to that kind of thing. Would I be well served by picking up a vinyl copy of this or it's that just the way it sounds?

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Wild Life sounds excellent on vinyl. It's a very good sounding, well produced record, but he did have Alan Parsons and Tony Clark behind the console, which probably helped.

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Oh yes indeed!! I'd suggest a UK early pressing -11 -1.

5. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Thank you!

And great to see that the title track got so many votes.

There may be tons of threads about underrated Macca stuff but I think "Wild Life" really deserves it ... I love the rawness of Paul's vocals and the guitar work.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, make sure it is an early Apple LP pressing too. I think some later pressings (as well as some CD pressings) inadvertently left off some of the LINK tracks.

7. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Neither my original Apple pressing on LP nor the 1993 remaster on CD sound "shrill" in any way. If anything, the CD is fairly bass heavy, but the DR is still a good strong 11. I think the LP sounds amazing. "Dear Friend" does have a bit of a wispy sound to it, but I assume that was intentional.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Also, Arnie maybe I am just missing it but I have not heard any "Wild Life" tracks on the new Sirius/Xm station yet???

9. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Let's not forget UK pressings had that gorgeous yellow inner that seemed to be Paul's favorite color from 1971-1973.

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Love me Tomorrow.

Shaddam IV, sallymae_hogsby and Tord like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

I guess then that Sirius/XM voted "None of the above" in this poll. ;)

12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Found one:
    18 Wings Tomorrow 6/20/2017 10:51:33 AM

13. Arnold Grove

I knew that they couldn't hold out.

14. Yeah it's a fun Blues song. Despite what the naysayers say here . I've always liked it. Great guitar riff as shown here.

It's like the guy you made fun of in high school and then he later creates Apple Or Microsoft.

15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Oh yes indeed. I was lucky to find a well preserved copy and the the yellow inner was nice and crisp. I'm still on the lookout for a few near mint yellow Wings 45 sleeves. The label photos of Paul and Linda are a nice touch as well. Only a few solo Lp's until the end of Apple in 76 ever reverted back to the standard label actually. Customs for all except John's post 72 releases. Strange actually, because I think Lennon started the trend with Imagine, save for the early variations of the standard granny smith apple.

16. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I've seen a lot of Wild Life copies, but I'm holding out on one with a nice yellow inner. The yellow inner was not included in U.S. copies so I'll have to pay extra to get a copy shipped from the U.K. As for the other yellow sleeves of the era, I'm still looking for one for Give Ireland Back To The Irish and eventually would like to replace my copy of the My Love inner since it has a few seam splits. Other than the sleeve for Hi Hi Hi/C Moon, I think that's all of the yellow sleeve singles...

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Columbia LP left off the "Mumbo" link. The version on Spotify is missing both links.

18. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I love it all, but I voted for "Dear Friend," "Tomorrow," the title track, and "Love is Strange."

19. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Dear Friend and Tomorrow. This is a nice sounding LP.

20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

It might sound nuts, but personally I would put Paul's lead guitar on "Mumbo" right up there as some of his best lead work overall. I would love to know what axe/amp combo he used for those parts...the one guitar track is on the verge of feedbacking in a way that sounds really cool:righton:. Denny Laine, I think, is playing the more rhythmic guitar in the left speaker; Paul's double tracked leads are in the right.

21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

So the answer to my question is "yes." By total dumb luck I happened on to a pretty clean Apple 1st US (Winchester, VA) pressing used but still in shrink wrap with a hype sticker for cheap(ish).

Despite an uncorrectable skip in the title track, it is everything I hoped this would sound like but never got from the Capitol CD, even through my cheap ass 30 year old turntable and 20 year old backup receiver (it has a phono preamp) into my computer's onboard sound card. I have a sibilance problem here that I don't get on other discs, but the overall presentation is worth those minor fleeting irritations.

Thanks for the tips. I want to change my vote to "everything." I even listened to Bip Bop all the way through.

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Spinning the original vinyl tonight. Just a bump for the Wildlife.

Mazzy, Shaddam IV and Blimpboy like this.
  23. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Just scored a mint=minus copy of the LP on Ebay for $15.00

24. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Didn't Paul say they recorded it so fast they didn't even bother to get the EQ right? I love the album, but it sounds a little off to me.

25. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

"Some People Never Know" is great, I love it, but I've edited about a minute out of it. It gains a lot by being a bit tighter IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.