Well that's it, it's over! No more buying LPs.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richierichie, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full. Thread Starter

Buying LPs that is. I've finally run out of room. I've never had a large collection, about 850 prior to the 'superior' sound of CDs in the mid-80's. I gave about 700 away but started collecting again in 2009. I now have around 1,500 but that's it. I have no more room. I'm going to have to stick with CDs and the storage space for those is rapidly shrinking. I take all the CDs in jewel cases out and place in clear poly-pockets, I can store 4 CDs to the width of one jewel case. The shelves still look good with digi-pack CDs about every 3 CDs. The box sets are on separate shelving, same story there. I will have to keep clear of record shops because I can't bloody help myself!

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Or you can do this: you can still pick up an LP, but just get rid of one of your other 1500. So you can still collect records, but you are refining your collection.

At least, that's my plan in the future.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

one in | one out

4. richierichie

Err, I will still make room for LP releases by The Beatles, Tom Petty, Big Big Train, His Bobness's, Shakey and The Waterboys. Somehow. :cool:

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Clickbait thread titles are the worst. Shouldn't have to actually go into a thread to see what it's about.

6. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Brits have small houses, don't they? ;)

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I approve of your final choice. My home could be a cardboard box on the side of the road and I would sleep outside of it if it meant keeping my Waterboys collection safe in there! :laugh:

8. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

If there's still room in the kitchen, hallways, basement, attic, bathroom...

Then you have NOT run out of room.

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

850 lps and how many CDs ? Do you take any pleasure in collecting ? Because there's no way you can listen to them all on a relatively regular basis. I own 1000 titles between Lps and CDs, but they're all keepers and am overwhelmed by them. Not that I have any more room to stash any more titles anyway (small house) Ever thought of downsizing ?

Tommyboy, ronm, klockwerk and 4 others like this.
  10. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I ran into a similar situation and solved the problem by moving into a much bigger house! I realize that is probably not an option for you. But I sympathize with your plight. I had LPs and CDs squirreled away everywhere. I had boxes of CDs in my (hot) attic, LP's in every closet with a few inches of space...etc. My new house as a finished basement with a room dedicated to being my "library".

11. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

1500 is nothing...

BrentB, Scope J, audiomixer and 2 others like this.
  12. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

I think about it all the time. I've been buying music for over 45 years ( note I didn't say "collecting"), and often make attempts at thinning the herd. It's no use.
    I'm up to about 1,800 LPs and over 500 CDs. I go through the stacks about once a year and to each item say "I'm I really going to listen to this again?". It's a valiant effort and I do get rid of a few, but it's hard. I want to realistically be able to play and enjoy all the music I've acquired over a lifetime. Still hate the term "collector".

richierichie likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

Just stop buying and enjoy what you got. I know it's hard, for us music lovers have a very curious nature, but it's what I'm doing myself (lack of space does help). Now the real problem would be not being able to afford all the music one wanted to explore:). I hate the term ¨collector¨ myself; never collected anything in my life before music formats, but I'm afraid I got myself a collection now:sigh:, which is not that bad a ¨problem¨ to have:o

SandAndGlass, richierichie and russk like this.
  14. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

You need to get a bigger place to live in or get rid of other stuff. :righton:

Don Parkhurst and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  15. Cyclone Ranger

I guess you could go all 'college radio station' on the problem...

[​IMG]

Or, maybe something slightly less drastic...

[​IMG]

rem 600, Scope J, atoxique and 23 others like this.
  16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

One in, two out.

Cyclone Ranger and Summerisle like this.
  17. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I actually understand this, physical media takes up a lot of space and living in Southern California, I don't have it.

18. Cyclone Ranger

Slightly off-topic, this doesn't hold a megaton of LPs, but it's what I'd want...

[​IMG]

19. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Nice. Where can I find one of these?

20. Cyclone Ranger

It's by a company called Killscrow, and sadly, they are really expensive as LP storage goes. The 12-drawer model pictured runs $4300. :faint:

I'm hoping someone has done a knockoff/something similar out there somewhere.

Killscrow Vinyl Cabinet

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    jamie anderson and Andy Pandy like this.
  21. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

That's probably the best looking and most functional record storage cabinet I've ever seen!

22. Cyclone Ranger

Yup. It's white oak with pull-out drawers, and each drawer holds about 70 LPs, the maker says.

So, the whole thing holds 'bout 800 LPs, looks great doing it, gives super-easy access to your LPs and has a pretty small footprint. Drooool. :nyah:

Now, if they'd only cut the price by about 75%...

23. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Not sure, going through the lower racks seems difficult, unless those are drawers you cannot see the spine or easily go through your collection.

Archguy and bever70 like this.
  24. richierichie

@Chemguy that`s a good idea, I may employ it.

Thanks @Gaslight, see above.

Sorry @Synthfreek, that wasn`t what I intended.

Bit condescending that comment, don`t you think Ranger,

Yes @lightbulb , but how do you know I haven`t done that already.

I wish @gillcup.

I never said it was @sublemon, but add 6,000+ CDs...

I may do that @Waxfreak, the problem is it`s bloody hard! I know I used the term `collector` but that`s what we all do. I`m not a `completist`, I don`t purposely go for multiple copies of the same album, although that has happened. Pet Sounds & Forever Changes spring to mind, but I haven`t collected them purposely, that sounds daft I know.

See above @Diskhound.

25. The Pinhead

:yikes:

A man of ecclectic tastes no doubt;)

atoxique and richierichie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.