What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Speaking personally, I just don't find it very enjoyable listening to recordings earlier than the 50s (approximately), due to the advances made in recording technology in that period (although I do like music of earlier periods). While the digital age has also been a technological leap in the last several decades, I am not sure many people (on this forum at least) consider it the same kind of improvement, nor has music styles arguably changed as much (with the exception of a few new genres) in this latter 50-year period as it did between 1917-1967, also partly due to the introduction of electric music technology of that period.

History of sound recording - Wikipedia

Dan C and DRM like this.
  2. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

ParloFax, ~dave~~wave~ and DRM like this.
  3. Mr. Fernando

Mr. Fernando Forum Resident

This is a good point, much like how color films have a longer life expectancy in terms of current and future enjoyment compared to black and white films. Or sound films to silent films.

Mickey2 likes this.
  4. He's not that little and he's had plenty training. I'm sure they (the label and even McCartney, Star and the estates) asked him to do something that would make it sound contemporary and sell. Even if it isn't what everyone wanted, better Giles than someone else.

5. Oh I'm Sure he did have a stereo rig. Heck we had one in 1965. We were hardly a wealthy Beatle. He probably didn't hear it because he didn't listen to his own records and Pepper was more McCartney's project than anyone else.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Original Mono is still definitive for most including our hosts choice no doubt. New version is a good introduction for Beatles newbies.
    A kickstarter if you like.

Shak Cohen, marcb and Grant like this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Pretty much the type of system many American teenagers had in the late 1960's. Not exactly audiophile, but it got the job done.

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Without hunting down expensive originals, the following are a pleasure to listen to: 1987 CD, 2009 mono CD, 2012 Stereo LP and the 2014 Mono LP.

I really enjoy the new remix and like it more with each listen, but it's a different slant on a classic. If you want to hear the original, the ones mentioned above are the way to go.

Shak Cohen, kozy814 and driverdrummer like this.
  9. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Steve Hoffman has stated on this site that after he heard the volume of the cymbals on the mono version of Mr. Kite (louder than on the stereo mix), that he preferred the mono LP over the stereo LP.

Grant likes this.
  10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

11. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

Apart from Apple obviously

12. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I was very excited by the new mix when I first heard it, and I've given it a few more listens and find I'm gravitating back toward the 2009 mono (or the 2014 vinyl or the 2017 CD, just the mono in general).

I think there are some really smashing moments on the remix. The opening track bristles with energy in a very satisfying way. A snoozer like She's Leaving Home is given a new life. Within You Without You feels so much more enveloping and transcendent. But in general the cracks are showing through for me. First, the large sound of the remix, while initially attractive, begins to feel hollow, like the album is being played in a cave or something, and this is especially noticeable on the boomy drums. Second, the vocals have an unnatural timbre to them that again sounds cool at first but eventually becomes too much. The compression on the disc, while not unbearably bad, does become a bit fatiguing by the end.

In comparison, the mono initially sounds more boxed in and comparatively lifeless, but as the record goes on it opens up and sounds more natural (despite the studio trickery) all around. The biggest loser on the mono is Within You Without You, which needs the larger soundscapes of stereo to do it justice. However, A Day in the Life sounds gargantuan in mono compared to the remix.

13. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Some people just wonder if he had an opinion on the public record about it, that's all. Most of us like The Beatles and enjoy his site, and this release has been huge. In fact, the first thread on it is something like (or was) the third or fourth most popular thread on this site, ever. Maybe even more then that as I haven't looked for it lately. It was epic! I love the Pepper Deluxe myself and I think this will go down as the Beatle release in my lifetime that I have enjoyed the most, even more so than Anthology 2, which in itself was amazing and mindblowing. I was eventually able to track down some short comments made by Steve Hoffman and I was satisfied with the result.

14. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

15. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

:yikes:. She has the most fantastic eyes.

As far as Sgt.Pepper goes. I have the 2014 mono lp and the 87 cd. I'm good.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  16. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

I really liked Mr.Kite but it was so bright. The cymbals weren't on seperate tracks so to get this extra bright cymbal action Giles boosted the top end on the track in question. Maybe that's how they sounded on the actual track. Possible, but I doubt it. We got 5 tracks from Pepper mixed years earlier. I don't remember the Sgt. Pepper songs off of "Yellow Submarine Songbook" and "Love" sounding like that.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  17. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Glad it's not just me....highly disappointed in the direction they decided to take. Starting to wonder if everything possible has been squeezed out of some of these iconic albums which have seen endless re release. No doubt the strategy is moving from getting the closest copy of a master to making the final product sound more "modern". I'm finding my go to versions of a lot of this stuff are a couple releases back now. With the exception of some, most but not all of the Steve Wilson stuff. I prefer the Hoffman audio fidelity of both the Yes discs I have, close to the edge and 90125. Going to have to be more careful buying some of this stuff in the future. I've noticed several instances lately where I've been listening to a 24/192 download where I said to myself "huh.....they screwed with the mix too much and I kind of prefer the original CD or an early remaster".

Fleet Fox likes this.
  18. john morris

What is the point of getting a 24/192 download of the master if they are going to fudge with it? Those high definition tracks should be copies of the master with nothing altered, changed or whatever. Edits and fade outs are o.k. I thought these High Definition downloads were being aimed at audiophiles.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  19. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

I just listened to the 87 pepper CD that i grew up with and it does sound great. It's pretty ironic that with all the new technology that the old
    CD version is still the best. It makes me wonder how much of a money making racquet the whole music business is...constantly looking for
    more ways to fleece fans for versions of recordings they probably have already 10 times over. But the biggest message in this is that with all
    the technology out there now, it does not necessarily mean 'better' but more often means worse, to satisfy the quick fix addicted masses

20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

This is my take exactly. You don't HAVE to choose - all these are out there - plus the original LPs and 1980 "Blue Box" stereo and mono (red and black boxes) LP pressings. I enjoy 'em all for different reasons. And I'm VERY glad that the Pepper anniversary box didn't YET AGAIN reissue the original stereo mix...what would have been the point?

21. john morris

Glies knows the Beatle stuff in and out. Somebody else might have done worse. The loudness could be and is probably from some mastering engineer. No way are they going to allow a mix engineer to master The Sgt. Pepper remix. I know it's tempting (Hey, It's fun!) To bash Little Baby Giles Martin but none of us know what the final mix sounded like before the mastering engineer got to it. Maybe it sounded super cool...I don't believe that either. Let's put the blame where the blame lies. The brightness, the loudness - all could be at the hands of some mastering guy.

Now let's find out who that is and give him a hard time.

22. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

That's where you lost me.

violetvinyl likes this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

:righton:

Plenty of great versions and pressings to suit the mood you might be in.

DrJ likes this.
  24. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

One of my least favorite Beatles songs.

25. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i think if you listen closely it is one of paul's most unorthodox songs... can't think of any other song that sounds like it (somebody compared it to schubert, but i think it is not correct.. more debussy) .. if you listen to his other "granny" songs, you can hear the influences, but "she's leaving home" is another story... apart from the great lyrics and the contributions by john... an underrated classic

Dan The Man1, gja586 and ParloFax like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.