Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I'm not a big fan of iTunes but I see a trend that the Windows users complain the most. So, although the program is just subpar on MacOS, it seems to be really bad on Windows.

Basically I think that they started out with the (correct) Apple thinking that it needs to be as simple as possible and usable without understanding what's technically happening. But they somehow didn't find the right metaphor for the program. And after that they just added feature after feature, redesigning the user interface whenever they had a new idea about making it more user friendly, but actually making it more awkward.

The Music App on iPhone is the victim of agile development. I'm sure that the app on iOS 10 is a complete redevelopment, and the product owner never went through the trouble of checking what the iOS 9 or iOS 8 app actually did. I'm still missing features in the iOS 10 version that were present in iOS 9 and long before that. Or maybe my memory is blurred, and I'm having visions of a great past that never was. Whatever.

2. David67

David67 Forum Resident

I previously had iTunes installed on my Windows PC, but with each upgrade it has become increasingly awkward to navigate and use. Nowadays, I steer clear of the program altogether preferring instead to rip discs with dBpoweramp and play them with Foobar or stream.

klockwerk likes this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

There's no way to say this without sounding snobby, but if you can understand the Mac operating system, iTunes will be a breeze for you. I grew up with Windows and studied programming during the second half of Windows 7's lifespan, so to me, trying to operate an Apple computer is like learning another language without ears or a mouth. Virtually none of it makes sense to me and so much just feels counter-intuitive and counterproductive (my chief complaint being that the right click is disabled by default). But to some people, it makes perfect sense, and since iTunes is the main media player for that system, they don't have a problem with it. I use iTunes on a PC and I very regularly get that same feeling of "this just doesn't make sense" that I get when operating a Mac. (For the record, I also get that feeling when using Windows 8 and 10.)

Jugglers like juggling more than people who can't juggle. Or something.

billnunan likes this.
  4. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Your assumption is that iTunes is a proper MacOS application, but it isn't. On the Mac, iTunes is the worst of all applications that Apple develops itself. Also on iOS the Music app is not compliant to many iOS guidelines.

MacOS may look and feel different from Windows, but basically they're both evolutions of the first "desktop metaphor" OS made by Xerox PARC. To me they're only superficially different. I don't understand your right-click remark. Since the dawn of OSX (for some 15 years now) right-clicks are supported and nowadays 2 button mouses and trackpads are default on Apple hardware too.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I've been able to minimize most problems with iTunes on my Mac via playlist management and sorting by artist/year in Songs view.

The only major issue I encountered involved the first release of Apple Music and artwork debacle, where Apple overrode the artwork on my Mac. Since then I've purchased a new Mac and not synced.

Where it's been 18 months later, if anyone has turned the artwork syncing in iTunes to OFF, then synced their library with Apple Music, did they still foul up the artwork? I'd like to try this once again but don't wish to fix my local files once again.

6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Was unaware that it's equally counterintuitive on its native software. By right click I mean actually clicking on the right side of the mouse/pad and having the menu pop up. Control+click works, but they still refer to it as "right click". In order to enable that, I used to have to go into the settings menu, find the mouse options, and there was something for "right side of mouse/pad" and I had to select "right click". That's wonderful if they have it enabled by default now, but the fact that at one point they didn't confuses me.

And on iOS anything goes... I think their app developers are dead turtles on a wind-powered trampoline, and when they hit the keyboard, whatever code gets written is used.

klockwerk and Yost like this.
  7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Now that I switched to iPhone, I must use iTunes yet again. I would give anything to go back to Android and avoid the "Tunes" like the plague again.

8. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I like my iPhone and I have an iPod Touch. Moved to the Fiio X1 as a music player and like it a lot. One thing Apple definitely got right is ease-of-use. But I wouldn't say their products are the best value.

9. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member

iTunes does not offer lossless :(

I also have a dislike for the iTunes software. It's so illogical with many constraints. Tasks as simple as putting pictures/music from or to your phone is such an unnecessary hassle. iOS "knows best". Better dubbed Nanny-OS. Weird but women in general know their way within iOS and itunes like I would in Windows. It is catered to their logic? Scary!

10. Time Is On My Side

To be totally honest though, can you reliably hear the difference between lossless and iTunes Plus? I can't. Some people can. But yes generally I agree with you about the software. They had it right back when it was version 10.7 and every iteration has just gotten more annoying.

11. Marmite

Marmite Well-Known Member

Of course its a thing, or rather a group of people.

They queue outside Apple stores for hours in order to by a reshelled version of the current gen iPhone. They believed their 720p screen was cutting edge. They believe Apple made the best screen ever for the iPhone 10 - better than Samsung can make. They believe being permanently connected to a wall wart is normal. They believe animojis are not at all childish.

I could go on, but I have other threads to read.

12. By all means, leave this thread. We won't miss your negativity. And BTW, none of your drivel has anything to do with the thread topic.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. Time Is On My Side

I currently own an iPhone SE and by no means is it considered "cutting edge." I can see why Samsung might be a better bargain. It has a lot of the same features for less money. But even I find that the software on the iPhone is much easier to use than Android is. I think in general that is why iPhone users like the iPhone - it's just easier to use.

billnunan likes this.
  14. Creole Gris-Gris

Creole Gris-Gris Shoe-String Budget Audiophile

Yes, its bad, I've slowly learned over time. Unfortunately I've been purchasing music on Itunes since I was 17 years old. Now I'm just trying to get physical copies of the stuff I can't live without and then ripping it in pursuit of better sound quality. Itunes: An expensive mistake for the sake of convenience.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
    Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.