War for the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

I caught it this afternoon with very high expectations having grown up on the originals and having loved this reboot.

I think that a lot of folks might be disappointed in this one if they are expecting all-out war, but I thought it was fantastic, every bit as good as the last one and a perfect capper to this trilogy. It's a mash-up of Exodus, Apocalypse Now, and a prison break. I thought it was tense and riveting. There were several gut punches and some very interesting twists. I actually left the theater somewhat emotionally drained, but, as I noted, I'm a big fan and likely more invested than the average bear. I actually got teary-eyed several times.

Serkis was wonderful as usual, but Karin Konoval also deserves major kudos for her portrayel of Maurice, who looms large in the story. Woody was suitably unhinged as The Colonel, but, like the villians in Dawn, his motivation and actions make sense. The effects were flawless and the settings give the movie an epic feel.

If you enjoyed Rise and Dawn, I would think that you are going to dig this one as well.

SBurke, 5th-beatle, wolfram and 8 others like this.
  2. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

What he said. Why can't Hollywood...ah forget it, keep making that great $hit, but I ain't paying to watch it !

daca likes this.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

James Rolfe says it's best Apes movie since the original:

mrstats and DrewHarris like this.
  4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Saw it tonight. A big disappointment. The 2nd movie was very good and I had high hopes......but it was boring.

lbangs and smarone313 like this.
  5. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

A reboot/prequel series that pays respect to the source material while still being an entertaining blockbuster? The end of the world is here! Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! 40 years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!
    Then again, it's a breath of fresh air.

andybeau likes this.
  6. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

So since this is the end of this trilogy will they jump way into the future for the next one? Maybe a few thousand years and have the apes living in big cities, driving vehicles and flying helicopters like in the original novel?

7. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see how they go forward with this series. The movies have done well. So, I don't think think 20th Century Fox will want to stop making them. The
    director for the last two films has said he is done with the "Apes" and has moved on to work on the upcoming Batman film. Hopefully he will be around to bridge the next
    round of films to his. Maybe an Executive Producer role. Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver will also be important to any future movies. They wrote "Rise" and "Dawn". But,
    were only producers on "War". The current "world" the Apes series is in has a lot to do with them. If the creative forces that worked on this trilogy can stick around to
    kick start the next set of movies. That will be a good thing. Otherwise we may be looking forward to a direct to video set of movies that will diminish this series like the
    the Apes sequels of the 70's did to the originals.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  8. Your choice but these are great stories and in this case a more serious approach by far than the original sequels back in the day.

andybeau, DrewHarris and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I read David Edelstein's review in Vulture yesterday -- he too liked the second movie but didn't care for this one. I'm not sure I want to see this anymore... :sigh:

10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I thought the second movie was incredibly boring most of the time, and a huge let-down after the fantastic first one. If this third is even more boring than the second (which all the trailers did make it look that way to me), it's not worth more than a free library rental for my money.

Scott222C likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I loved the original series (even the terrible Battle for the Planet of Apes), but I'm not so interested in this reboot. The first one wasn't bad but I lost interest and haven't seen the 2nd. I'm going to pass on this one as well.

I thought Tim Burton's version was terrible.

12. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

I thought Steve Zahn was good like Serkis as "bad ape" (with obviously more humor).

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for that quote, gonna watch this instead over the weekend.

14. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

All caught up, great ride! Cody is a real piece of work! I'm just concerned things are gonna get less volatile without Cody (and Paul if he leaves in the next few weeks). There are a lot of thin skinned people in this cast, so hopefully more of the aggressive conflict we've seen so far keeps happening. My favorite cast in years so far!

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

??

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

:laugh: he meant to post that in the Big Brother 19 thread.

SBurke and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I saw it tonight.

Who would have thought that it would borrow so much from a Charlton Heston movie ... and it not be either of THOSE Charlton Heston movies that it was borrowing from.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  18. Monosterio

But did you like it?

19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

And Caesar's "Parting of the Red Sea" moment was blowing up the fuel tank and causing the avalanche, burying all the soldiers.

mrstats, F_C_FRANKLIN and RayS like this.
  20. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Saw it last night, I found Woody a bit dull in general. Not as good as the last two.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I feel that I am a very patient movie-goer, but I found the pace was often too slow for my taste and the first portion of the film seemed to meander. The latter 2/3rds of the film were better (IMO) but being significantly derivative of two other stories/films can't be overlooked (not that the director was hiding it - as Paul Simon said, "I can read the writing on the wall"). The film is SO derivative of those sources, in fact, that even mentioning their names qualifies as a spoiler, and even gives away the ending of the film. If the apes started whistling, I was ready to add "The Bridge on the River Kwai" to the list to make it three.

I certainly had a better time than I did at "Spiderman" a few days earlier - the sparkling reviews for that film left me baffled. But watching "The War" was more like being on a game show (what is being borrowed/referenced now?) than being immersed in a moving story ... in my opinion, and all such subjective caveats.

Pete Puma and Monosterio like this.
  22. Monosterio

Thanks. And, btw, one or both of those sources have been disclosed in other reviews. :)

RayS likes this.
  23. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Very good movie. I loved the deliberate pacing of the movie. Then again, I love 2001, and that film had deliberate pacing. Heck, the buildup in original Apes took quite to build and build before Apes are encountered. This is a very dark, grim, thoughtful movie, and the character of Bad Ape add the perfect levity when needed at the right time.

The tale of Caesar was told very well in this trilogy, looking forward to the story of others when they get around to making another trilogy. I won't say which of these three were the best, since I need time to process this film, and reassess it again.

My only complaint was the theater sound was too low, hard to hear the excellent score at times. Have to see it again at a better theater with better sound, and in good 3d.

24. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I enjoyed War for the Planet of the Apes far better as a Clint Eastwood western than as Stalag 17 or The Ten Commandments.

And it could've been a bit tighter by axing every attempt at comic relief, not a second of which worked.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

25. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Saw it Monday afternoon, in a nearly empty theater.

Spoiler free thoughts -

Enjoyed it very much..the apes were gorgeous and the settings were beautiful to look at.
    The story held my interest throughout....and how it was paced with little nods and clues to what was before and what eventually came by the films end.
    I will say that I felt it was rather slow paced in sections, which susprised me a little in a good way.
    Periods of 'rest' were needed between the action sequences to catch ones breath.
    Considering it was a 'war movie', I was concerned it might just be non-stop action and chaotic violence which thankfully it was not.

Speaking of the end, it didn't hit me on the emotional level I thought it would.
    That is all I will say, as others who have seen the movie already know what I'm talking about.
    I was not disappointed, it was still a good way to conclude it, but I felt I missed out a little in the emotional impact.
    Two friends who were with me were in tears at the end and definitely effected.

I loved Michael Giacchio's score for this film.
    I was geeking out a little bit right from the beginning, hearing his primative sounding 'Apes' version of the 20th Century Fox theme.
    Very cool!
    The percussive choices added to the score at times was a treat for the ears.
    Reminded me a little bit of John William's percussive score for 'The Lost World - Jurassic Park'.

I would definitely recommend seeing this on the big screen, as the settings and stunning CGI character work done for the apes themselves was full of details that will likely be lost on smaller screen in the future.

-

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    SBurke and kouzie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.