And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It's easily to dismiss Doctor Who as a mere children's show until you've seen an episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures.

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I read that as more of a paternal thing.

goodiesguy, J.K. Baxter and tkl7 like this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I can't say that I ever bothered about The Doctor's hair colour when s/he was a he, but I agree! It would be one thing to cast a natural blonde as The Doctor but it is jarring to have a Doctor who obviously dyes. It's as though The Doctor is suddenly becoming 'appearance conscious' now s/he's female.

4. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

and Caitlyn Jenner as Yentl

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

He has always been appearance conscious, but I was thinking more that he wouldn't regenerate into a form where his hair was already dyed. That would be as silly as if he regenerated into a new suit and tie, and that doesn't happen.

6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

As a male he has indeed been appearance conscious but to his own, quirky, standards, rather than conforming to the 21st century vanilla standard. I would have preferred that the first woman to play The Doctor would have been less ... gorgeous (at the risk of being unchivalrous, Olivia Coleman would have been better from that point of view than Jodie Whittaker). As it is (and without knowing how she's going to be played, which is obviously far more important than her superficial image) we have a very good looking woman wearing the sort of too-long-in-the-sleeves overcoat that girls from private schools wear to look dishy. She could be Emma Watson in a Burberry ad.

I take your point about her regenerating with a dye job but it's easy enough to get around that in the script: maybe the Doctor hasn't got enough regeneratiom energy left to push the natural pigment through to the end of her follicles! Maybe she'll grow out through her first season ...

Personally I'd rather be looking at Jodie Whittaker every Saturday than Peter Capaldi and I'm not protective of The Doctor's alien version of the Y chromosome. I just find it ludicrous that people are speaking of the first female Doctor Who in terms usually reserved for the first woman President; there's never been a glass ceiling for being a pretty woman on TV and whether this is some sort of breakthrough for the portrayal of women will depend more on the scripts than the casting.

goodiesguy, fsutall and Isaac K. like this.
  7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It's still a kids show guys. :tsk:

The denial is strong with this thread. :D

8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Do you mean Patrick Troughton wasn't!

Sordel likes this.
  9. Great Choice. I think she's a consolation prize for the Americans. Just look at her haircut.

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I still stand by my opinion that Jodie Whittaker is neither "hot" nor "gorgeous". I reserve those adjectives for somebody like Karen Gillan who could've clearly persued a career in modeling if it wasn't acting. Ms. Whittaker in nice looking but in the same ordinary way that thousands of regular females on the street are nice looking. Feature wise she is really kind of undescript and boring. She would have to rely on her personality to bring it to life. Of course it all depends upon what you are attracted to. Maybe I simply am not hard up enough at the moment. ;)

11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I do the same thing with all of the Doctors. I haven't watched most of The 12th Doctor run, but it took me until The Robin Hood episode to warm to his character. In the same way, I'm going to watch a few stories before I decide what I think of The 13th Doctor.

The Doctor has always been a bit concerned about his appearance with The Second Doctor (when he had a big argument with The Time Lords over his new appearance, they eventually just chose one for him over his objections), The Fourth Doctor (went through about a half dozen outfits before ending up with the one he wore [when The Brigadier decided it was good enough and stopped his changing]), The Fifth Doctor (horrified when he first saw what he looked like), and The Sixth Doctor (the first time he was pleased with his new appearance).

However, I think the concern over his appearance is part of his personality, and it likely varies from Time Lord to Time Lord. In one novel there was a story about a Time Lord who had a beautiful appearance and due to that everyone loved him. However, when he regenerated he took on a ridiculous appearance that caused the same people who had admired him to suddenly make fun of him and not take him seriously. He was so distressed that he regenerated (it was likely that he was adjusting his appearance like Romana did rather than actually regenerating) again...and again...and again trying to find a better appearance. He ended up taking on the form of a blob that caused his death.

12. Women doctors? Where will this madness end? I thought giving women the vote was a mistake.
    If Dr.Who has always been male and is now a women are we dealing with a transgender Dr?

13. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

"None taken"! :D

Seems like an odd conversation to be having on SHF this can be a pretty sexist place on occasion but I don't think we should really get into grading actresses from average to gorgeous. Still, I'd stick by my position that she's good-looking enough to have been cast as good-looking. She reminds me of Emily Mortimer. I'll count it as good news that if we're the last three people on Earth you'll be bowing out gracefully.

14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

You keep saying this but I wonder how long ago you last watched it?

Grange Hill, Byker Grove, Wackaday, Chuckle Brothers, etc., etc,. are 'kids shows' because they deal in issues/humour/interests that are relevant to children, rather than adults.

At no point in its history has Doctor Who concerned itself exclusively with 'children's issues': its storylines have usually had some sort of moral/ethical schemata and it has dealt (albeit obliquely) with political issues, too.

Matthew likes this.
  15. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

I see what you did there....that was on purpose, right? :D

Sylvester McCoy also has a background in comedy, cutting his acting teeth appearing in "The Ken Campbell Roadshow" experimental theater troupe, which had a decidedly demented, Python-esque bent. (Indeed, he can be seen in "The Secret Policeman's Ball.")

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

It's too bad David Bowie never got to play the Doctor.

17. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Don't care who plays the Doctor, just wish the stories would get better. Maybe they will now Steven 'weeping angels'
    Moffat has passes the torch.........

hurple and EwaWoowa like this.
  18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Pertwee's first season, as well as many of the stories written by Malcolm Hulke were pretty adult/sophisticated in nature.

Deesky, EwaWoowa and Siegmund like this.
  19. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The entire next season should maintain the tone of a wacky 1980s body-swap movie. :agree:

goodiesguy likes this.
  20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    By Michael de Adder, Toronto Star.

21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Doctor Who was conceived as a family show from its inception and has generally always been considered as such.

goodiesguy, zobalob, EwaWoowa and 2 others like this.
  22. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Ok, unpopular opinion here. The Moffat era has been pretty damn wonderful, and I will miss him on the show. Still excited to see what Chibnall has to offer though.

23. Yeah, I pretty much stopped watching after Colin Baker.

McCoy never felt right, and to be honest, it's only gone downhill from there (from what little, admittedly, that I've seen).

24. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I got pounded on when I said, somewhere, I wasn't interested in the 2016 Ghostbusters movie. Everybody jumped my case for nto wanting anything to do with it because it was a female cast.

But, what they never stopped long enough to hear is that I didn't give a rat's ass that it was a female cast... I cared that it wasn't Aykroyd, Murray, Ramis, Hudson, Weaver and Moranis.

The original movie is a prime example of a ****ty movie made great movie by the sheer force of the actors involved.

As with that, so with Doctor Who. I don't really give a rat's ass if it's a male or female or even a shape-shifting penguin (see what I did there, fanboys?), I'm just worried we are going to get 13 episodes of sexist tit jokes and female stereotyping disguised as "progress."

And Chibnall is exactly the person who would deliver that.

And, again, I'm being pounded on for not being "inclusive" or "gender progressive."

sgtmono likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

IMO, the show started to really go downhill midway through Peter Davison's 2nd season (not Davison's fault). That said, I can tolerate Colin Baker and McCoy, although they are my two least favorite from the original run. I can somewhat enjoy the new show, if I think of it as an alternate reality like the Star Trek reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.