Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Yep, it's official. After viewing Prince's Warner Bros. deal from 2014, Universal Music Group is pulling out, asking for a refund of their $31 million dollar payout for the rights of Prince's music.

Now, either WB is going to get it, or the price of the vault material will seriously go down in price (heck, it will probably be bought on the cheap from WB, since it appears WB might have the estate over a barrel).

Universal presses bid to void music deal with Prince estate

No new music for a bit longer, kids. :cry:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

longdist01, dee, EVOLVIST and 3 others like this.
  4. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

It's probably great material. But given current mastering practices, I'm seriously doubting if it will sound great.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Sad but oh so true.

6. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I know what you mean, given some of the issues with Moonbeam Levels and Purple Rain deluxe.

But we shouldn't let perfection be the enemy of the good. I am well pleased to now have We Can ****, Father's Song, the extended Computer Blue et al in decent (if not quite audiophile) sound quality. Every listenable new out take will be a blessing.

And if the main albums are remastered to our detriment, there are plenty of good sounding vinyl versions with the original mastering (or the excellent recent Grundman and Gray remasters)

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I can't call the mastering on the new Prince deluxe decent or good. And in my opinion, a mastering need not be perfect to be great. Not trying to diminish your enjoyment or change your mind, just wanted to clarify my position on all this.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Are you referring to the whole set or just the main album? I think the outtakes and singles sound pretty decent. More vault releases in that quality would be fine with me.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

The whole set.

10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ah, ok. Pity you're so unhappy with it.

George P likes this.
  11. Well, if it's mastered like the Crystal Ball set, that would not be optimal by any stretch, but the clarity is there. That set wasn't clipped (going by memory), and as clear as a bell. Of course that set is straight from the multi-tracks, and not of unknown origin like the new Purple Rain set - which I still haven't heard because I'm on holiday.

I would hope that the worst we can wish for is the Grundman mastering like the vault material on the Purple Rain set -but from the multi-tracks of course - and the best we can hope for is like the Dylan releases.

It's sad, but in this day and age when it comes to archive releases I'm thrilled with DR8-DR10. Of course the DR numbers aren't the whole story, but more often than not they tell me if listening fatigue will set in (DR8 is really pushing it).

*Sigh* I just wish the man, himself, was still around and we'd get nothing but new music to listen to.

David Campbell likes this.
  12. One of those has to be either the April or June 1986 configuration of Dream Factory. By July the album resembled too much Crystal Ball/Sign 'o' the Times. But maybe she's including those.

I doubt she's referring to one of them being the 1998-99 Roadhouse Garden album, but maybe. All signs point that it was never completed.

If it's only Dream Factory, what are the other 3? ;)

13. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

The Flesh could well be one.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  14. That's right! Perfect! Completed in January 1986 (as far as we know). There could be lots of bonus tracks, as well, from a few loose instrumental songs.

So, in theory that leaves us with two more.

I've always wondered if P was just BSing about that album he says he recorded after 1999, but thought it sounded too much like 1999 to release. I suppose we'll find out. He claimed it would have been a hit, but it wasn't where he wanted to go artistically. *shrug*

bunglejerry likes this.
  15. Oh, snap! Now Jay-Z is in on the act:

"I sat down with Prince, eye to eye/ He told me his wishes before he died / Now, Londell McMillan, he must be color blind/ They only see green from them purple eyes.

This guy had ‘slave’ on his face/ You think he wanted the masters with his masters?/ You greedy bastards sold tickets to walk through his house/ I’m surprised you ain’t auction off the casket.”

JAY-Z Calls Out Prince's Former Lawyer on '4:44' Track 'Caught Their Eyes'

Runicen and sunspot42 like this.
  16. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Ancient now of course, but I stumbled across this tribute online that I thought was really incredible and a bit off the beaten path:

(Give it a chance - it takes a minute and a half or so to kick into gear)

flako, Carlox, groovelocked and 3 others like this.
  17. I didn't have to give it a chance. I was hooked from the first notes.

That was beautiful and amazing. Thanks for this. :cheers:

18. Purple Jim likes this.
  19. Orthogonian Blues

Oh my la-di-dah!

A full version of the legendary 'Wally' has leaked, along with a few other unheard leaks.

bunglejerry likes this.
  20. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I trust that is the 4:34 version that is really hiding in plain sight out there.

(But can this be the stunningly personal take that Prince felt was way too revealing to even have in the Vault and supposedly destroyed? Is this a different take/lyrics? ... One online comment says "this is not the same version i heard back in the early 90's the one i heard had no horns and sounded more simple". Also it looks like Susan Rogers said he re-recorded it.)

21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I happen to think that best chance we get to hear unreleased music from '83-'95 in the near future is when WB gets the rights and access to the masters in the vault.

22. Orthogonian Blues

Yes, it's the 4:34 version with the horn overdubs etc. Which makes it sound a bit too comical. I guess that was Prince's way of obscuring the very real pain he felt when he recorded the first version (as Susan tells it).

While I can now finally say that I have heard the legendary Wally, this is probably my least favourite of the new batch of leaks.

Also out there is a killer country-rockabilly-electro song from 1982 called Yah U Know, the nastily funky bass on Emotional Pump (a song he originally wrote for Joni Mitchell) and a hypnotic 10 minute version of La La La He He He (funny, I never cared for the shorter version).

Jayseph and redsock like this.
  23. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Leaks? Where? DM me please

thesisinbold likes this.
  24. Of they win the bid, sure.

Personally, I would not like for WB to win it. That deal that Prince cut with WB was for his own benefit more that it was WB's. WB figured they would make money on all new Prince releases, plus they would press the back catalog into the millions.

To WB's credit, what...it was a gesture in good faith? Prince turned around and distributed new music through Tidal and Universal.

Why only '83-'95, though?