War for the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I saw it with my two grandsons on Sunday. We all liked it. I'd give it 4/5 stars.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure I'd call it "boring", but I thought it was a bit slow.

I liked it okay but not as much as the first two, which I thought were really good.

Maybe I'll like this one more on Blu-ray - with tempered expectations that the story doesn't really fit the title! :D

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll buy it.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Oh good I thought I was going insane as no one else seemed to mention how derivative this movie was of...

The Great Escape, it just took me out of the movie, and made me wonder are there no original ideas left?

RayS likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I find all these new Ape films depressing.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Wait, is that one of the two sources RayS was talking about? Because I was sure he meant Apocalypse Now and The Ten Commandments.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Those are the two I personally had in mind, yes.

8. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

What I didn't like about this new series is that the villains are so boring, one dimensional, clearly the type of men you love to hate. I call them the generic, blockbuster villain.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And I agree with those 2 influences - especially the one with the bald villain!

Oh wait - both of those influences have a bald villain. Guess you'll have to figure out which one I thought was most dominant! :D

RayS likes this.
  10. RayS

If "War" was a Rocky & Bullwinkle episode, its "or" title surely would have been "Ape-Pocalypse Now". I think we only have one commandment ("Ape shall not kill ape"), so there's room for 9 more in the upcoming string of sequels.

11. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

ok, this is good news for me because based on the trailer i figured it was going to be oversaturated with action. i'll wait til it hits blu ray but will definitely check it out.

how's the 3D?

12. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

I know exactly how you feel.
    I also had concerns after seeing the trailers, as the first impressions I had were that this film was going to be more of a bang-em-up 'war movie'.
    I really came away from those early teases thinking the focus was going to be concentrated more on the battle action aspects, and far less attention was going to be dedicated to the story.
    This bothered me, as the previous two films did such a excellent job balancing a good story with intense action sequences.
    Now it seemed the third chapter was just going to be yet another CGI effects heavy flick with both sides bashing the crap outta each other.
    Not so...much to my relief.

I was very relieved and actually very surprised that was not the case at all as the movie unspooled.
    The pace surprised me too, as again, I went in under the impression this was going to be a bash n' mash em' flick.
    It's not.

Spoiler free comment - it's not what you are expecting, but it delivers the goods in both departments (in my opinion ).
    Folks going in expecting it to be a nonstop blood bath of CGI violence will be dissapointed.

The 3D I thought was well done.
    It added to the environments and also to a few key scenes.
    I would have liked to have seen this in IMAX, but alas, i only had the RealD option.

-

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Considering how much I was pleasantly surprised by the first two entries in this series, and how well-reviewed this 3rd entry is by critics, I have to say I was a little disappointed in this flick. I didn't mind the (at times) slow pace of the film, but am I the only one that is worried about having Jar-Jar Binks nightmares due to the Steve Zahn character? I could not believe that they took this more "thoughtful", serious series and then decided they needed to inject juvenile comic relief into it. I hope some frustrated writer had an explosive moment or two behind the scenes when this idea was hatched. As if the humor wasn't bad enough, they had to give the ape a sort of Jar-Jar/Dobby (Harry Potter) look, too. :rolleyes: Is that so they can market toys at Burger King or something?

There were also a fair number of (literal) plot "holes" here that were just inexcusable to me:
    Like having Nova [Note: I liked that nod to the past] walk right into the fortress without anyone noticing...
    Or having the other ape make a scene so that she could escape being caught...
    I love how the evil Colonel then says "run a sweep of the area", but his officers fail to notice a giant hole in the earth (leading to presumably unknown (?) labyrinthine tunnels beneath the fortress) about 100 yards from his front gates...
    and so on...

RayS likes this.
  14. RayS

I don't read or watch reviews until after I've seen the movie, unless it's a movie I'm certain I won't see.

I just caught up with Christy Lemire's gushing review of this film, and it severely damaged my faith in her reviewing wisdom. :)

15. mrjinks

I avoid reviews, as well, but do a quick gauge via Rotten Tomatoes. When I see numbers in the 90s (93, in this case), I expect a little better...

RayS likes this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

With this film not doing as well at the box-office as the other two, things aren't looking too good for this franchise, at least not in the short run... Years from now they may revisit it again, but I'm guessing that it will be quite some time, if at all...

It's not in the top 5 films for this past weekend... It has a few more foreign markets to play in, but even with those, it's doubtful this film will reach the box-office receipts of "Rise" and "Dawn"...

17. Grand_Ennui

I haven't seen the film yet (I'll probably wait until the DVD release and just buy it), but I am not a fan of the idea of them injecting "comic relief" into the series: It sounds totally unnecessary.

18. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

saw it last night w/ my wife. loved it. we're both big fans of this series. only down note was thinking that at the current rate, we'll have to wait till 2020 for the next one!

19. Grand_Ennui

*If* there's another one...

20. mrjinks

I really got the sense that this film was it for this series. The story arc seemed to reach a conclusion, in my mind. Plus, with the director saying he's done, it just seems like even if it were doing better box office, it would be a stretch to pick up again in 3 years with another entry. That's just me, though - perhaps others see more obvious possibilities there.
    I'll be curious to hear what you think when you do see it. Someone upthread (besides me) griped about the comic relief, but I was surprised there weren't more people who had an issue with it...
    EDIT: it was @lbangs who said "not a second" of the comic relief worked. I agree - although others in the thread are on record as enjoying it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  21. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i think they began this series intending to lead up to a remake of the first "Planet of the Apes" movie, so I don't see them quitting at this point.

22. RayS

[​IMG]

Rather than "Bad Ape", they could have included a CGI'd-in Edward G. Robinson, finally getting into an "Apes" movie, and once again taking a trip down that long and winding road to the promised land.

23. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Excellent film and the 3D was very well-done.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just back from seeing this with my son and we throughly enjoyed it. A great movie.
    As I always do, I avoided watching the trailers (and this thread!) so as not to spoil the enjoyment. I wasn't all that enthusuastic about seeing it because I was expecting an all-out combat movie. Thank God it wasn't. The action sequences that are there are brilliantly crafted and they come at a good pace to give the film contrast. It was a great idea to create the little band of characters that embark on their quest, à la Star Wars, à la Lord Of The Rings. If it had just been about guerrilla warfare (no pun intended), it might have been tedious and I'm sure that the writers were aware of that.
    I agree about the Colonel Kurtz-like villain of the piece being a bit of an action movie stereotype. He should have had more madness, more desperation in him. Still, the film thrilled me all the way.

Unknown Delight likes this.
  25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Saw this film at the end of July and I definitely liked it. My birthday trip to the movies! There are some moments though where the camera does linger, so I understand why some might find it a bit slow in spots.

Woody Harrelson's Kurtz-like character struck me as completely credible. The film sets him up well. The humans that have survived the epidemic became immune to the virus in the process. But then it mutated, and he believes the rest of humanity is underestimating the new threat . . .

On the other hand, even if he's right, his apparently all-male fighting force won't be able to do much to save the species.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.