New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Ah, but sometimes when I don’t like something initially and have read someone else’s opinion that I find interesting, then I’ll go back and give them another listen. I only own two of their albums: the English Electric box set and The Underfall Yard.

Norco74 likes this.
  2. Mirror Image

As far as reissues this year go, I’m highly impressed with Marillion’s Misplaced Chilhood deluxe box set. I haven’t really delved too far into it, though. I’m chomping at the bit to watch the documentary that’s included on the blu-ray disc.

PJayBe likes this.
  3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Agreed. I'm looking at the artists listed so far and I'm familiar with most of them, but none of them get me that excited. I just don't get the hoopla around Big Big Train, for instance. Or Steve Hackett doing the same album he's been doing for years now. I think the prog rock renaissance of the early to mid 1990s provided far more interesting material, even though much of that was derivative as well.

LivingForever and NorthNY Mark like this.
  4. Mirror Image

The only album from Hackett that I genuinely enjoyed more recently has been Beyond the Shrouded Horizon. I didn’t get too excited about Wolflight or The Night Siren. His string of albums from the 70s from Voyage of the Acolyte to Defector are magnificent. After Defector, things start getting quite bumpy.

SuntoryTime and NorthNY Mark like this.
  5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

A review by Planet Rock said it's his Progressive masterpiece !

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Fair enough. I await to be amazed then. :)

7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Ahmi s/t (instrumental progressive rock, full-length, released July 21, 2017, Detroit, Michigan)

Ahmi, by Ahmi

[​IMG]

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Sounds very interesting and fresh
    Great music there!

:edthumbs:

But that awful cover ... oh my

:shake:

Svetonio likes this.
  10. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

No, that's Teamrock! The one I was referring to is in Planet Rocks magazine , read it in WH Smith's yesterday!

11. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation! I streamed it tonight and will get the CD in the am. (As the Lp only contains 3 tracks, as opposed to the 6 of the CD)

Sure, they are not as good as BBT: yet, this is only their first effort! The music flows very nicely - the work of David Jackson (and his daughter on vocals) makes this a pretty interesting journey.

The use of narration (à la Wakeman or more recently on the latest Public Broadcasting Services - highly recommended BTW) works well in the context of the stories told.

Overall impressed with new offering! Great atmosphere mixed in with some pastoral sounds, along more prominent prog makes this a pretty cool ride.

LivingForever and PJayBe like this.
  12. BradaTaylor

BradaTaylor Forum Resident

Good stuff - with and without visuals.

ChrisEfterklang likes this.
  13. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

14. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Same here, I had to spin English electric part.1 a second spin in perfect listening condition to appreciate their high quality composition, vocal harmonies and eccletic arrangements. The use of classical instruments parts (strings, trumpet, french horn) carefully inserted into their songs is another prove of BBG composition skill and maturity.

Discard any reviews or comparisons to Genesis or Pink Floyd. This band has their own very distinctive sound. If you really have an ear for this you can spot Dave Gregory XTC guitar sound here and there but not over the board.

If I should recommend an entry album, I would go for Folklore which displays the full palette of their talents.

Sincerely any of their 4 recent releases should convince you anyway. Give it a few spins since their music is rich, dense and full of twists.

15. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Same. Fantastic mood on this album.

16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

vortex, by mouth (progressive psychedelia, full-length, physical CD & vinyl LP available, released June 30, 2017, Cologne, Germany)

[​IMG]

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

RESONANT, by Opusculus (instrumental progressive rock, full-length, released July 25, 2017, Montreal)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: 5759

calgary669 likes this.
  19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

20. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Finished the new Samurai of Prog, On We Sail! Now, this is very much hankered in the 70s. But great production, superb packaging and sound. Not for the ones who don't like a modern trip down memory lane (!); but for what it is, i keep going back to it. That, in itself, is a good sign. I am on my phone, so no link.... but u know how to get there!

anduandi and Svetonio like this.
  21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Kompost, by Flowers Must Die (progressive psychedelia, full-length, vinyl LP available, released April 28, 2017, Sweden)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Why?

Moth likes this.
  22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Bliss, by Envoys (experimental rock / metal, full-length, physical CD & vinyl LP available, released March 5, 2016, Leeds, UK)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Reflections & Exits

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

25. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident