Ozark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jul 22, 2017.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fish-out-of-water Jason Bateman as no nonsense white bread money launderer for a Mexican cartel exiled to redneckville. No it's not a comedy. Bateman in a drama? Who'd thunk it?

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

He's done many dramatic roles and he's very good at it too.

I've read some unflattering reviews about this, mainly about being derivative (Breaking Bad) and a little unengaging. However I do like Bateman and particularly Laura Linney, so I'll give it a go, soon.

3. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I'm into Ozark 2 episodes and hooked. First episode has enough action for anyone to make up their mind about whether to continue. Two thumbs up from me.

Note my own tastes can vary... I generally like Tom Cruise in Magnolia and Collateral where he is a "villian". I do not care for Bateman in comedies, but do like this role for him. Linney is always a favorite.

Gavinyl, Yovra and CBC like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm now watching it, thanks to this thread.

Scope J likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've seen 3 so far and I like it too. There's a certain Bloodline feel to it, but different. The first two eps very excellent, the third, a little less so, but still very much above average. So far, thumbs up.

6. dmiller458

In Breaking Bad, cancer was the catalyst that turned Walter White into a criminal. Marty's already a criminal.

Scowl and MikeInFla like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep, I was referring to what was mentioned in some reviews I'd read. What they were saying was more general, where you have a series of smaller actions escalating over time into something much bigger and more sinister. But yeah, the setup here is different as is the family dynamic, which I liked because it was unusual.

8. Myke

Done with all 10 episodes. Hope they get renewed. Just read the official word ( 2 days ago ) : has NOT been renewed yet, and if it is, Season 2 will be July, 2018.

Gavinyl and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

You had me at Laura Linney.

905, chacha, sentinel90125 and 6 others like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was very surprised -- this is an interesting idea for a show.

I see it as a variation on Breaking Bad: a regular guy winds up getting mixed up in a very high-level crime. The trailer looks great.

Gavinyl likes this.
  11. Myke

The 10 episodes were great. I'm loving the writing in these shows lately. Very intelligent, with well-spoken characters, and no ridiculous stereotypes. Very refreshing, and reinforces my decision 4 years ago, never to waste more than 30 minutes on something not worth my time, and attention. If only I could get back the 55 years I wasted on dreck.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's not quite that. The 'regular' guy is already a criminal of some years as the show starts, but his situation does escalate. I've seen 6 eps so far and I would say that it's more comparable to Bloodline than Breaking Bad.

So, 6 eps in and I'm loving it so far. The only weird aspect of the show which is a bit of a head scratcher is the FBI guy that's chasing the main protagonist. I don't know what his deal is, but his character is rather bizarre (and not it a good way).

George P and GodShifter like this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I'll definitely watch this seeing that it's being compared to Bloodline. I wonder if it will do better in the ratings that Bloodline .

14. Myke

We'll know that if it gets renewed. Bloodline sure wasn't.

Gavinyl likes this.
  15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've watched Breaking Bad and thought it was the best ever. I'm watching this through 3 episodes and like it. I've never picked up on Bloodlines but will probably give it a go based on the similarity comments.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

We'll never know the ratings, as Netflix doesn't release them, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't get picked up - the quality is certainly there and would be a valuable part of the Netflix library. The resemblance to Bloodline is somewhat superficial, so don't think of it as a carbon copy.

Bloodline was picked up for 3 seasons, which isn't a bad run for that type of show (essentially, a mini-series).

17. Myke

The way I watched it, I just think of it as one long show. Knowing the number of seasons, I see your point.

18. dmiller458

SPOILER:

One of the later episodes is a 10 year flashback to when he first started the money laundering. And the cartel guy kills a rat in his crew right in front of Marty and Bruce no sooner than they had signed on with him.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Based on the feedback here, I'll definitely watch the first couple of episodes. It's a great idea for a TV show.

Myke likes this.
  20. Myke

There are spoiler tags available to mask that.
    See ?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Exotiki and dmiller458 like this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seen the whole thing now and I think it's excellent. It's brilliantly acted by one and all and there's some really clever dialog peppered throughout the season. I thought the flashback episode was really well done and filled in a lot of blanks in a really smart way.

The only minor criticism from me is still the main FBI agent who was scripted as if he belonged on another show several levels in quality below this one (like Designated Survivor or 24!).

But overall, this is another quality Netflix series that deserves, and will almost certainly get, another season.

22. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Watched the lot in 3 days flat, 7.5/10 , would watch again.

Looking forward to se2.

23. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Just watched the first episode last night and was impressed. Great to see Esai Morales again! He played Ritchie Valen's older brother in La Bamba!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  24. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Anyone pick up on the musical homage to the Ozarks in one of the later episodes?

25. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

started watching it over the weekend. About 6 episodes in. I've enjoyed it.