Fans of The Guess Who - any love for the Troiano lineup?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all,

Are there any other Guess Who fans out there that appreciate the Domenic Troiano lineup? I think the 2 albums they did, "Flavours" and "Power In The Music" are underrated.

I have noticed that on Burton Cummings' facebook page, whenever he posts a pic of this lineup, it turns into a Troiano bash-fest, from both him and the fans that comment on his posts. OK, so maybe there was some behind-the-scenes stuff going on at this time that affected how the band looks back on it, but as a fan I enjoy it. It's easy to see that he was a polarizing figure in the band's history, though.

Also, the two albums he did with the James gang have some nice stuff on them, but they sort of got lost in the shuffle between the time when Joe Walsh left and when Tommy Bolin joined, I think.

His stuff might not be up there with Bachman-era Guess Who or Walsh-era James Gang, but the guy was no slouch on guitar. He was even invited to join Steely Dan as well, but he had just accepted the Guess Who gig at the time.

Any other fans out there?

tootull likes this.
  2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Comet01 and evillouie like this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I enjoy the Troiano era of The Guess Who, quite a bit. I don't see why fans loathe the last two RCA albums as much as they do. Those are fantastic albums. I dig them.

And yes, I've seen Burton's posts about the Troiano era, and his fans' behavior...all on Facebook. If you want to talk about a musician who has the "entitled and spoiled brat" behavior pattern that you see with an only-child, that's Burton! I stopped following him. I've never seen a guy, who has it all, complain so much. And his fans will hang on his every word...I think they need lip balm!

Comet01 likes this.
  4. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I unfollowed Burton on facebook as well, for that exact same reason!

sbsugar, Comet01 and klockwerk like this.
  5. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I saw that lineup in Bismarck ND, late May, 1975. It was their last show of that leg of the tour and I remember Burton saying they were heading back to Winnipeg. About two-thirds into the show Dominic did a very long solo section, playing around with electronics. It got a little bewildering for an arena full of teenagers there for the hits. But after that they trotted out that slow blues intro to "American Woman" and then dropped the hammer. Then it was just one fast song after another. Pop songs like Albert Flasher and Star Baby turned into stomping rockers. Three encores, the last one being a riotous "Bus Rider" with a giant Canadian flag as a back drop, with the image of a beaver sewed onto the maple leaf. It was a helluva show.

Those two albums with Dominic were a little spotty, you could tell the chemistry of the band was a little off. But I liked the new experimentation. Burton does have a reputation as being a colossal jerk.

tootull likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Was Dom a 'pegger?

7. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

In appreciation:>)
    Domenic Troiano - Wikipedia
    Domenic Michele Antonio Troiano (January 17, 1946 – May 25, 2005) was a Canadian rock guitarist, most notable for his contributions to Mandala, The James Gang, The Guess Who and as a solo artist.

Born in Modugno, Italy, Troiano became a naturalized Canadian in 1955. He was raised in Toronto and began playing guitar at age 15. As a professional musician, he was a guitarist for Ronnie Hawkins, James Gang, The Guess Who, and Bush, among others.

8. Dillydipper

There ya go...hadn't all fresh hires come from Winnepeg before then?

9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Yup. I love those two Troiano records. Electrifying ensemble work.

Comet01 and pool_of_tears like this.
  10. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Saw them live in Toronto with that line up. I thought they smoked with Dom, but I guess Burt didn't like "all that Mahavishna stuff". Did a great job on all the hits and opened it up a bit with that Mahavishna stuff. Dom grew up in East York at 365 Sammon Ave. (named a song after it on his first solo album).

Comet01 likes this.
  11. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Apart from a handful of songs, I don't care for the two albums Triano did with The Guess Who. It just seems "off" to me - I don't think his style fit well with the band. No question he was talented though.

Gorgon likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

Only saw them once with Troiano. Didn't get the impression there was any great joy there...of course this was, ohmigod, 40 years ago, and probably their last swing through the U.S.

Burton's stage clothes were just begging for sweet release..."Ummm, Burt? Whaddya doin' with that lighter...?"

13. pool_of_tears

Amen, sir!

Comet01 likes this.
  14. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Count me as a fan of the Troiano era of the Guess Who. When Cummings speaks about that era, I believe that he feels that the band strayed from its 'meat-and-potatoes' roots. Although I do agree that Flavours and Power in the Music were relative departures, I like them a lot! I enjoy Troiano's guitar parts and his willingness to throw jazzy excursions into the mix. Not all of those jazzy excursions were of the "Mahavishnu"-variety.

Troiano's solo over the last 1/3 of "Hoedown Time" is one of my favorite understated GW moments.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    phillyal1 likes this.
  15. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Cummings is the first person that I think of when the topic of "love the art, not the artist" is brought up.

sbsugar likes this.
  16. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I saw this same tour in Detroit, must have been right before you. Even though I had saw them prior to this lineup, I still enjoyed it.
    I didn't view these guys as a 100% Guess Who lineup, more as a transitional period on the way to solo Burton Cummings.
    Between the 2 albums there were a handful of decent tunes but overall not as consistent as say "Road Food". I would point out that "Dancing Fool" was a hell of a good rocker with some fine guitar work going on.

Comet01 likes this.
  17. Curwin

Curwin Well-Known Member

Is Randy Bachman the second? haha

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Flavours to me is a really strong Guess Who album, and the live tape from that tour (from King Biscuit I think) is also really good. Definitely out of steam by Power in the Music though.

Craigman1959 and pool_of_tears like this.
  19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Slightly off topic but I love Straight Shooter, the first album he did with James Gang.

Passin' Thru is a bit more patchy.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

I agree.

Mook likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

There are 2 radio broadcasts (Electric Lady Studios & The Bottom Line), but nothing from King Biscuit...at least as far as I know. it's a shame the band didn't record more of their shows/tours. I'd like to have a set from the tour in support of #10.

sbsugar and Comet01 like this.
  22. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I recently scored a still sealed original promo copy of "Power in the Music" for $3.00. I know I'm supposed to hate it, but I think it's good. It's hard to go wrong with Burton's voice in his prime, and the songs are good, and that line-up of the band sounds great to me. I'll be looking for Flavours now.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Buddybud, Comet01 and sbsugar like this.
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

To be honest, I didn't know about DT until I joined here. It seems like he was a real force.
    But I just have no interest in Burton's songs after Rockin'. He just lost me.

24. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I have recently bought both the albums. Great original copies for $4 total. I think they are great, and I'm sorry I ignored them all these years. I think I'll stay away from that Facebook page.

Comet01 likes this.
  25. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

There was one time, maybe twenty years ago where BC really got into it with a fan. Don't remember the details. Looked for it recently and couldn't find it. Probably just as well. Really, really nasty.

Comet01 and pool_of_tears like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.