Brian Wilson - The 2017 Pet Sounds Tour thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaccaBeatles, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

2. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Saw the show in Birmingham last night. Terrific band....Brian seemed a little "overmatched" at times, particularly during the PS set. Still very inspiring, I was nearly in tears after he closed with "Love & Mercy".

3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was going to post my review from Knoxville as well as I have been out of town for a few days after this show. You provide a good summary. I thought Brian was happy to be there which is always a big concern. Al was great and his son did his part well. Blondie I commented to the person I went with sounded like a Lindsey Buckingham wannabe. I think the show could be structured a little better as the first and last part of the show are so much superior to most of the middle except for "Sloop John B" and "God Only Knows". But, I'm glad I went and saw one of the last greats I have yet to see.

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I finally voted on this ... probably because neither prospect really excites me. I ended up voting for another tour because I honestly have little interest in any further studio albums from Wilson which increasingly have little to do with the artist himself other than arrangements of songs written by others that include poorly executed pastiches of some of the stuff Wilson did during his earlier career. The No Pier Pressure album was the final straw for me. Now if they did just want to let him loose and cut an album of Shortnin' Bread type stuff or whatever Brian would actually want to do I would be there in a heartbeat. Sadly I don't think Brian wants to do anything and even if he did his "management" would nix it.

MRamble likes this.
  5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

So glad I went to this show! I had seen Wilson twice previous - first at Jazz Fest a few years ago with the Beach Boys. Seemed angry all during the set. Then....when he toured with Jeff Beck. PAINFUL to watch. Don't know WTF was going on, but looked like a trained monkey. Looking around for directions where to go, to leave the stage.

The Saenger show - SO glad when they resurrected this building, they DID IT RIGHT. Finding the old blueprints was an unexpected bonus. My seats weren't great - 28th row stage right. BUT, in this building, not many "bad" seats. Impeccable acoustics. Wilson was very lucid, very happy to be doing the gig. Really made me appreciate Pet Sounds. So many different textures within. Really enjoyed this show. How is he now, at this point of the tour? Maybe I lucked out seeing him so early.

Elizabeth M likes this.
  6. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

I'm excited to see that they posted a pic on the Brian Wilson band page a few hours ago and Darian is in the photo. I will be seeing the Houston show on Friday. I can't wait!

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Might be an older pic, though.

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Darian was with The Zombies last night, and will be with them in Spain in three weeks. Don't know if he will be on the BW tour in the interim, but it's doubtful.

RonBaker likes this.
  9. Misterroper

The BW band's facebook page says he will be with them starting on May 12 in Houston barring anything unforeseen. Maybe it's just a few dates he'll be with them, but it does look like he will be in Houston.

Brian Wilson's Band And Darian will be back on toir with Brian on May 12.
    3 · May 1 at 12:49pm

10. Just got back from that show, and Darian was there (wonderful). Really enjoyed the show. Brian seemed to enjoy himself. His vocals were quite good on the older material but very rough in the early songs from Pet Sounds. He was better again from Caroline No through the end of the show. He seemed into it the whole way.

Band was outstanding.

Took my 11 year old son, who discovered the music on his own by raiding my CD collection. (I caught him singing along with gusto about 2 years ago). He was WAY into the show, and sang along quite a bit, even nailing the falsetto vocal on Fun Fun Fun. That was wonderful to see and hear.

11. Misterroper

Just wanted to offer a quick review of the Houston show. I will get the negatives out of the way. The bass drum was mixed WAY to high. Whenever it hit, you really couldn't hear anything else. I expected better from this venue. Just personal preference, but I really wish the background vocals could have been a bit higher in the mix during the first set. I was in the 5th row to the left. It's possible where I was located contributed to these sound issues. The Houston crowd was appreciative but reserved except for the very front sections.

Brian Wilson was interested in putting on a good show. His voice was strong on the songs where he had enough time to get adequate breath support in between lines. People have mentioned that he talk sings through Pet Sounds. I noticed it on a few songs, but it really didn't detract away from the performance to me. And there are certain times where his voice gets in a comfortable range, and it's a transcendent moment -- Yes, that is IS Brian Wilson. These were the moments that were the most fulfilling to me. (But I sort of knew that going in having seen the Beach Boys reunion shows a few years ago).

The band was amazing. Such attention to detail on most of the songs but especially for Pet Sounds. It seems like they made sure to play every nuance of the record. It's like they are all music geeks about this stuff, and they aren't going to settle for a fakebook style rendering. Music geeks that take the responsibility of presenting this work to other music geeks who would notice if a certain guitar line didn't end in a glissando... The instrumentals on the album took on new life in a jazzy explorative extended jam that allowed for some nice sax solos and a brief drum solo -- but all very much keeping with the framework of the song. Gorgeous and warm are over-used adjectives that don't mean much if they aren't qualified, but those are the words that describe the Pet Sounds set.

As a musician, it was a feast for the eyes to scan the stage to see what instruments combine to play the various parts and which of the band members sing which parts. I really hope they offer a DVD of the 50th anniversary/2017 Pet Sounds tour because I'd love to have a visual record of it all. The instrument changes, many in mid song, are just crazy. It's as if the band has a running competition to see who can play the most instruments -- at the same time. Incredible musicianship on display.

Darian was there providing a great "Darlin'" and a backrub to Brian Wilson. Great to see him.

One of the things I was most happy to see is that, again, on this night, Brian Wilson wanted to be there doing the show. Reading various comments here and elsewhere had me second guessing whether I was going to enjoy this show or not. No one wants to be a part of exploitation or a situation where someone's best interests might not be at heart. Well, on this night, my fears were put to rest. There was no trained monkey feel to any of it. If this night is representative of his state of mind about touring, then it makes sense that he keeps adding dates to tour Pet Sounds or to tour in general. He's more than capable of doing it. There are songs he sang very well and he's far from embarrassing himself or tainting his amazing legacy.

Without a doubt, I recommend you go see this show. I would definitely not hesitate to see him again.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I saw the first Pet Sounds tour. One cute moment: as the moment neared for the bicycle horn, I (and many others) scanned he stage. Darian reached over the keyboard for something and sure enough, there it was. He held it up to the mike a few seconds early so everyone who was waiting knew it was here. A small group near the front applauded, a grin from Darian.

13. In semi recent years (last 10 years), both "That Lucky Old Sun" (solo) & "That's Why God Made The Radio" (Beach Boys) were terrific albums, so I voted for another studio album.

I've seen Brian 3 other times before the recent tour (last year in Syracuse, for free...) & he and the band were always great. The show last year was an outright train wreck. I saw George Jones on his last tour & it was just sad & awful...the Brian Wilson Pet Sounds show was a whole level worse than that. The worst professional show I've ever seen. I'm glad if he wants to do a victory lap tour & it's great to celebrate him... but, he looked miserable & his performance was just jaw droppingly bad. Even with a great band, the whole thing made me question how viable, or responsible, it is to have him out on the road anymore.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Whatever makes him happy. Id think a chair on the beach with a dog in my lap would do it for me if I were Brian at this point. But, whatever makes him happy is what I wish for him.

Allen Michael likes this.
  15. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Brian has stated in interviews that he is happiest when he is performing a concert.

Carl80 likes this.
  16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Will be seeing him in Liverpool at the end of July, can't wait.

Joti Cover likes this.
  17. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Going Nowhere Fast

I found out later that on the morning of that Jazz Fest performance Brian apparently took a nasty fall. I'm sure that didn't do his poor back any favors.
    And oh yes, the Saenger is a wonderful venue.

18. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Third party sellers were selling tix for San Diego for $10 so I ended up going last night. I had one of the worst seats in the house (4 rows from very back) but still a good view of everything. I was glad to see Al singing a lot more leads than last year. I finally caught "Wake The World" which I have been wanting to hear live for awhile (still sad I missed "Honking Down The Highway". I always enjoy Blondie and he did a fantastic "Feel Flows". I also enjoyed the spectacle of his sheets of noise extended multiple solos on "Wild Honey" ... at times it felt like he was channelling Lou Reed "I Heard Her Call My Name". People either were into it or not. Mostly not. It might have been where I was sitting but the band lacked punch this time. A lot of stuff that should have "rocked" a bit more just didn't. Again, it might have been the mix I was getting so far back (although it was still good volume) ... some of the stuff felt a little sluggish.

I had read that Brian is talking his way through songs more now and that is what I heard .. and also he is dropping a lot of words or missing lines (way more than he used to) coughing phlegm and stopping to breathe. Really quite sad, brutal and distracting as the songs, despite the great backing of the band which included Darian, unravel without a vocal centerpiece ("Here Today" which is my "dark horse" favorite on Pet Sounds was useless.) Also sad to think of Brian's former excruciating attention to detail and his demanding of endless vocal takes of his bandmates in the creation of this album being reduced to this.

Brian kept asking audience to stay in their seats (as promised) so I only stood at end of concert. The band introductions Paul Von Mertens were kind of fun which led to each band member getting a snippet of a song to represent them ("Tighten Up", Walk on the Wild Side" "Wayward Son" for Matt Jardine, "I Feel Fine", "Frankenstein" a snatch of "Roundabout", "Thank You ... Mice Elf" ... it was kind of cool to hear the largely 70s FM setlist the backing musicians are into.

I am listening right now to Brian's first Pet Sounds tour and I am reminded that, all things considered, Brian and his band did a really surprisingly respectable job of pulling this album off. Even shows in 2006 were pretty impressive. What I heard last night though was depressing. I wish they would drop this ... Brian can still slot in other stuff ("Fun Fun Fun" etc.) It was also interesting hearing his now baritone voice in the harmonies ... he still has great pitch and that incredible ear for harmony is still obviously very much intact. It was beautiful and touching to hear him doing harmony with Al on Sloop. He also did a nice job of singing "Love and Mercy" which was a nice way to go out.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Just came back from the gig and uploaded this. Unfortunately a strict no camera policy and metal detectors (!) at the entrance by request of management, so this gotta do for the time being.

20. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Galway and Dublin for me.

Carl80 likes this.
  21. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Wow. Seems that both Brian and Mike bands look at each other and borrow some ideas ;)

22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Going to see Brian this Friday in Liverpool , has anyone seen him in the U.K. On this pet sounds tour , just wondering what time he might come on stage ?

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

the shows I know don't have a support act, better be there at start time if you wanna see the 'big guy' on time.
    before you know it, he's off!

Carl80 likes this.
  24. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Does he not stay on stage long ?

25. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

It's a respectfully long show---these days like a 10 song first set, Pet Sounds, then a 5-song or so encore.

Carl80 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.