Rush - Hold Your Fire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thatguy1976, Jul 25, 2017.

1. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did a search and there doesn't seem to be much dedicated to Rush's 1987 release "Hold Your Fire". I know a lot of people don't like it, but I enjoy it. It's not one of my favorites by Rush but I feel it is a bit underrated. I think the non-remastered Mercury 832 464-2 sounds really good too! What does everyone else think about this album?

2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I love this record and loved it's supporting tour.

3. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I love all '80s Rush, and this is no exception. One of my favorite albums.

4. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

One of my favorite albums! I really love the song "Time Stand Still"

5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Definitely an underrated record!

Mission is a top 10 Rush tune in my book, and I am really high on Turn the Page, Prime Mover, Open Secrets, Lock and Key and Time Stand Still as well.

The sound of it is a bit of a hang-up for some, and it is an unusual-sounding record for Rush. It's kind of loud and crash-bangy at times, but certainly unique when looking at their 40 years as a whole.

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Maybe not their most creative work, but not a bad album really.

jeff

ultron9, Purple, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  7. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I avoided it for a long time, assuming it was nothing but cheesy 80's pop. By the time I got around to listening to it, I had gotten past similar problems I had with Power Windows, and found that I actually liked Hold Your Fire. It's not their best, and I'd still probably rank it lower than all of their other 80's work (except maybe Presto, which I haven't listened to), but it's not a bad album at all.

8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I bought the cassette back in 1987, a few days after it's release. I was so dissapointed that I gave it away about a week later. I've softened a bit toward the album over the years, but I haven't listened to it lately. I think I'll give it a spin tomorrow.

Karnak, MikeInFla and mando_dan like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I bought it when it first came despite some lukewarm reviews. One music newspaper critic wrote about going to a Rush release listening party (Toronto) & had stated he was glad there was a lyric sheet with the album because all the songs sounded the same to him. I think that was a rather unfair criticism.

I'll admit that it wasn't my favourite Rush album but I went back to it during the Rush reissue campaign of a few years ago. I like it more now than I did 30 years ago. I have always liked "Time Stand Still". But "Force Ten", "Lock and Key" & "Second Nature" are enough (with TSS) to give it repeated listens. Overall, a decent album.

10. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Force Ten is awesome! So is Time Stands Still!

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like Time Stand Still. Cool video, too.

12. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Love this oft-maligned album. Force Ten, High Water, Open Secrets, and Mission are all among my favorite Rush songs. High Water in particular is quite special to me. I remember listening to it when crossing the giant bridge that leads to Virginia Beach a few years ago, and combining the song with the beautiful sight of the vast ocean really made it such an emotional experience. Whenever I go to VA Beach, I always make sure to listen to High Water when crossing that bridge. It still gets to me every time.

13. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Definitely some good songs in there! I've never bought the CD version, the record sounds a bit trebly but that's more due to how the album was produced I'm sure. That said, there's a cohesion of sound on Hold Your Fire that generates a specific, almost melancholy mood that's rather captivating.

I might have to give the remaster a go one day.

14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I was quite disappointed with it when it first came out. I loved "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still", and "Lock And Key", but the rest of it left me cold.

It's grown on me a bit since then, but still not one of my favorites. "Prime Mover" and "Tai Shan" still don't connect with me.

Ironically, the tour for this record was the only time I got to see them live, so I have that fond memory.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I love almost all of this record, but "Mission" is a top 5 Rush tune for me.

16. Open Secrets is a great song with one of Alex Lifeson's best solos. Also love Mission and Time Stand Still. The production has too many soft edges for my taste. Power Windows had better songs, and the next few albums saw a better balance between guitars and keyboards.

carrick doone, Sean, Purple and 3 others like this.
  17. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

No love for "Second Nature?" One of my favorites from the record. Classic Neil Peart philosophy.

18. I bought it when it first came out in mid 1987. I like the song 'Time Stand Still', and a couple of others. It's an average album at best for Me.

moodyxadi and Purple like this.
  19. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

"Time Stand Still" is one of my favourite Rush songs, period. Never really liked "Force Ten", and even Geddy has been quoted as saying he regretted recording "Tai Shan". However, the rest is pretty good, though not as good as " Grace..." or "Power Windows" IMHO. "A Show of Hands" on cassette and VHS was the first Rush I bought after hearing "Spirit of Radio" on a compilation CD, so I am nowhere near as allergic to the mid-late 80s synth Rush period as many people. Watching Neil Peart on the VHS in full flight was a proper WTF moment.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The drummer in my old band wore out that damned Show Of Hands VHS...he'd watch Neil's drum solo over and over again trying to figure out some of those drum patterns but could never quite do it himself. He gave it the ol' college (high school, actually) try, though.

I haven't heard Hold Your Fire in years. I do remember not being too impressed when I did hear it, though, and I can't stand "Time Stand Still" to this day. By that point I think Alex Lifeson's complaint that the guitars were taking a backseat to the keyboards was a valid one.

Stormrider77 and Sevoflurane like this.
  21. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Never liked Lifeson's guitar tone during this period. He was using Signature guitars and the treble (I could still hear treble in 1987) took your head off. By the time they toured "Roll the Bones" and I finally saw them live he'd gone Paul Reed Smith and had a much nicer tone.

DiBosco, Sean, Finch Platte and 2 others like this.
  22. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Some great stuff (Force Ten, Mission, Lock and Key, Turn the Page) and some songs I can't wrap my head around (Prime Mover, Tai Shan, High Water, Second Nature)... for me it's Rush first "mixed" album, the first time since their early days that they couldn't maintain a standard throughout a record.

Purple and dlokazip like this.
  23. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

My favourite Rush album.

Karnak, ironbutterfly, Sean and 5 others like this.
  24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Better than "Power Windows" but that's not saying much.

25. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Hmmm...I would put PW at the absolute peak of their work. Great lyrics, tightly written tunes with lots of great details, and perfect integration of keyboards and guitars. They embraced what was happening in music around then at the time and turned in a stunner.

HYF keeps that same general approach, but is, I think, slightly inferior for a couple of reasons. One, it is the first Rush album made for the CD instead of the LP, so it's a little long. Second, the guitars aren't as tightly integrated as they were on PW. On that previous album, Alex came up with dozens if creative ways to fill up space. The album showed what a master texturalist he is. I don't think he was quite as successful the second time around (plus, his tone is a little thin).

That being said, it's still one of my favorite albums. The writing and Geddy's great melodies and performance mitigate any production problems it may have.