Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality, artwork, etc.: "All Alone" - 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2014.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

2. MLutthans

Clips now posted: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1962_-_All_Alone.html

Bob Belvedere, rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  3. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks, Matt. It sounds very nice indeed. In your opinion, does it supplant the 1992 Herschberg-mastered CD as top choice?

By the way, is the Herschberg mastering used on the suitcase tracks of AA? Bob will certainly know this.

MLutthans likes this.
  4. MLutthans

I'm not sure that it's better than the CD, but it's certainly very good. I did play the entire LP last night, and it's very good sounding, with very quiet vinyl being a nice trait. The "S" sounds get a little sibilant-y in spots on side two only, which is a WW-3 cut. Side one is WW-2*, and does not have the sibilance issue, so I'd say that a WW-2 on both sides would probably be about as nice as this title has sounded on LP; just don't expect any sonic miracles with so many problems being "baked in" on this recording. :cry:

(*"2" is scribed where a "1" also appears, so I'm not sure if "1" was scribed and then corrected to be a "2," or if "2" was scribed and then corrected to read "1." The "1" is much easier to read than the somewhat-fainter "2.")

I'm not Bob, but here are his earlier comments regarding the apparent re-use of the same mastering for all CD editions:

5. rangerjohn

Doing double duty, Matt! Thanks.

And we've learned not to expect anything sterling from most of these early Reprise LPs. A real pity, as some many of them feature amazing arrangements and vocal performances. AA is most certainly one of them.

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  6. MLutthans

Have any of the individual tracks from All Alone been released on any compilations in remixed form?

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Offhand: "The Girl Next Door" is in the Ultimate Sinatra 4-CD box.

8. rene.dussen

rene.dussen New Member

@ MLutthans. You're right about the sound quality on which you wrote about ... :righton:

"Is this another AME (not NAB) equalized session tape? It sounds to me like some of the string passages, at least on the stereo CD, have that crrrrrrrrunch of AME in spots....

I ran into this issue yesterday again controlling the sound quality of my radio station. Yes I knew about this release omission it but totally forgot about it and thought at first that I had an over modulation issue myself. It's on a couple of songs on this 'All Alone' album. It can be removed thought. Here my trial on this. First you'll the original and the then my cleaning of 'Indiscrete'

http://gasradio.info/indiscrete_demo.mp3

Regards,
    René

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  9. MLutthans

I ask this only out of sheer ignorance on my part: Are we sure that it's a remix, and not just a new transfer/mastering from the same stereo mix? On my just-now, first-ever listen, the Ultimate release sounds like the same mix.

rene.dussen likes this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not sure. I just assumed. Will have to actually listen... :rolleyes:

CBackley and rene.dussen like this.
  11. rene.dussen

rene.dussen New Member

Hi Guys!
    Thank you for your compliments! :righton: No I didn't buy the ultimate box yet since there is just one alternate take on it. I am a longtime Sinatra collector, have a enough releases of this song and the All Alone album. But the edition under the link of my earlier message is 'my personal remastered edition' from the first US cd release, bought it back in 1992 from the late Gary Doctor. I'm sure this name rings a bell. I used Adobe Audition 2015 to do this and removed the low harsh sounds on the left and also removed some acoustal hiss. I also contacted Chuck Grenata about these over modulation issues, but due to his words, he's never has been involved with the capitol/Reprise releases or re-releases. Regards René:tiphat:

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This sure is the original cassette release, roughly 1966-1967 era. Uncommon find.

rangerjohn, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  13. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Just ordered a mono LP of All Alone. Looking forward to hearing it in mono for the first time.

CBackley, colormesinatra, MMM and 2 others like this.
  14. rangerjohn

I like it a lot. Not slam-dunk superior as some Reprise mono versions are over their stereo counterparts, but really nice.

bferr1, SBC, MLutthans and 1 other person like this.
  15. DLant

I'm really looking forward to it. $8 isn't bad either.

16. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

The mono made me fall in love with the album, for what it's worth....

colormesinatra and DLant like this.
  17. DLant

:righton:

It is certainly an album that I don't play often, but would like to change that.

paulmock likes this.
  18. DLant

Absolutely stunning.

[​IMG]

CBackley, Simon A and paulmock like this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

YUP! An overlooked gem in the catalogue. Maybe his Reprise equal (in lack of accolades) to Close to You.

Simon A, AaronW and DLant like this.
  20. DLant

Speaking of which, I'm playing a nice gray label copy of that now.

Simon A likes this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

...and I am about to play All Alone!

Simon A and DLant like this.
  22. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Did it win you over like it did for me? I'm happy you loved it!

Simon A likes this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I just ordered a mono copy of this album on eBay. I'm excited to hear it. I already love the version I downloaded from iTunes.

The soprano voice instantly reminded me of Star Trek. I'm glad to read that there's been some confusion over that singer.

I still haven't heard "Come Waltz With Me."

teag likes this.
  24. rangerjohn

Enjoy! A very underrated album.

CBackley and bozburn like this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Let us know how the mono sounds.

Do you have Moonlight Sinatra? A must buy in mono or stereo! Both sound great to me.

CBackley and rangerjohn like this.