TergiKleen on Amazon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wldrns1, Mar 8, 2016.

1. wldrns1

wldrns1 New Member Thread Starter

Ever hear of this? I know pricy/vol but pretty convenient for a small collection. Have a Spin Clean. Can't find solid info about TergiKleen.

Because of LibofCon, decided to use Tergitol 'something' vs other homebrews mentioned everywhere. Deionized water too. Saltwater Aquar place up the street is $1/gal. Might as well.

ALSO PLEASE PLEASE:
    Can anyone answer, in layman's term,s what the difference is between 15-S-7 and 15-S-9? Is 9 ok or not. Why/why not. Rather not mix 5 & 9. Don't have 5 anyway. I do have unopened 9. Sorry to kinda beat a dead horse.

BIGGER Dave likes this.
  2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

3. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I think I 'be seen this web site before, seems kind of familiar :wiggle:
    Anyway, I was not asking about Tergitol 15-S-7, or the Library of Congress formula, but If anyone has any experience with the specific product sold by Amazon that claims that is it a specific Tergitol based concentrated formula.

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yes, I bought some TeriKleen a couple weeks ago and got around to mixing a batch yesterday. I'd been interested in trying it as I'd heard of Tergitol but it didn't seem the most convenient purchase for various reasons. I currently use an enzymatic cleaner. It says to use 10-20 drops per gallon, and I believe I used 18.

The first thing I noticed is that it didn't spread well compared to other cleaners I've used, I suppose one could add surfectant but that would defeat the purpose IMO.

I cleaned some purchases with it and they sound amazing, but its too early to really evaluate it relative to other cleaners as I can't say those records wouldn't have sounded exactly the same had I used other cleaners. I can say it does seem to clean very well, and while it expires in two years, when you consider how concentrated it is, I think one could records all day every day for those two years.

6. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Are you still using this and how are the results been? I'm thinking about giving it a try,been using the VPI concentrate lately.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Since the initial impressions I made in that post I've really gotten into using Tergikleen/Tergitol. The approach I'm using at the moment is to apply a liberal dose of the solution, vacuuming it off (there's no benefits to letting it sit on the record), rinsing the record under sink*, drying with the RCM along with a few squirts of distilled water as a final measure.

* I could probably just use a spray bottle and a brush the way folks usually do, but I find there to be some additional benefits to doing it this way, including full peace of mind that 100% of the Terigitol (and anything else that might be on the record) is removed. I think if nothing else every trace of static is gone from giving it a full bath, I've noticed less dust gets attracted after I clean it this way, so records seem to stay cleaner longer.

Cliff, SandAndGlass and paulewalnutz like this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The tergikleen from what I can glean is probably a hybrid of two tergitols that are readily available and cheaper.

I use triton x-100 which is essentially the same thing from talas.

Triton X-100 Detergent | TALAS

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Talas sells each type of Tergitol for $21.75 a pint plus shipping. Given that you only need a few drops of each per gallon of water, this is indeed cheaper then $20 for Tergikleen provided you plan on cleaning about 700 records a day over the span of ten years or so.

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Talas will mix the two for you at no extra charge, and they are happy to offer you a smaller amount than what is listed at a pro-rated price. The triton is cheaper per and is a very effective solution even if one upgrades to an RCM.

SandAndGlass and Rolltide like this.
  11. Doc Young

Doc Young Forum Resident

I use Tergikleen with my DIY ultrasonic cleaner and have been very impressed with the results. 20 drops per gallon of distilled water, 15 min in the US tank and rinse in pure distilled water and vacuum dry on my VPI 16.5. It's expensive but does a good job.

12. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I recently tired Tergikleen (tergitol) and followed the mixing directions, 20 drops to one gallon of distilled water.

Here is what I found. I purchased a used version of an album from a U.K. Seller. I received it an cleaned it with my Okki Nokki record cleaning machine and the Okki Nokki solution. It's what I used for the last year to my apparent satisfaction. Little did I know.

After the cleaning, I played the U.K. album and heard a lot of surface noice pops and clicks. Hey, I just cleaned the album. I then thought it might be static so I shot it with my anti static gun to no avail. I was upset thinking I got a lousy copy of the album. I went on line and found another copy and bought it. This copy was a NM Japanese pressing so I thought it would be silent. I got it and I was happy so I shelved the U.K. version.

I bought a couple of used albums and I decided to try the Tergikleen because I read that's what the library of Congress uses. I cleaned my "new" used albums and noticed very little noise so I thought hey...try it on the shelved U.K. Album. I used it on the album and after two washings I played it and Holy *^%#, NO NOISE or pops or clicks!

Now I will use only the Tergikleen method. HOWEVER remember this:1) the solution does not spread evenly. It's not designed to it must be introduced into the grooves. I use one of those soft paint pads to draw the solution into the grooves. 2) YOU MUST rinse after the use of Tergitol with distilled water. After some experimentation I first use the tergikleen solution, then rinse that with MOFI super clean and then a final rinse with distilled water. When I emptied my Okki Nokki, I couldn't believe the dirt and color of the waste water. Now I swear by this method and use it on all my record cleaning duties.
    Steve

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  13. paulewalnutz

I decided to give it a try. Still in the early stages of using it but I am noticing improvements. I've been limited in what I've used before which was the VPI solution,Nitty Gritty PUREnzymes & the Mofi Super Deep Cleaner. I think I would buy it again.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

@Spsesq how are you doing your distilled water rinse? I've got a little dunk tank think I concocted which allows me to dunk the record in and spin while keeping the label dry. Just curious on other methods.

15. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I use a Okki Nokki RCM. What I do is once the Tergikleen wash is done and vacuumed, I then pply MOFI record wash to the album, spread it around and with a different applicator, making sure the record wash gets into the grooves. I vacuum the record, then do exactly the same procedure with distilled water applied with a converted "picnic" ketchup dispenser, rubbed into the grooves with an Okki Nokki goat hair brush. vacuum and re-sleeve.

recstar24 likes this.
  16. paulewalnutz

I've been using it for almost a month now & I do notice a difference. I would def be purchasing again when I'm out.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

At ten drops per gallon, I don't see myself ever running out TBPH.

paulewalnutz likes this.
  18. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

My 'go to' stuff for record cleaning. I make it by the quart a little on the strong side (maybe 6 to 8 drops with distilled water... I don't remember off the top of my head). Put it in a spray bottle... spray it on a Disc Doctor brush, scrub, vacuum, then do a rinse round with distilled water. I've used homemade solutions, disc doctor miracle cleaner, mofi super record wash, AI #15... and this is where the buck has stopped for me.

Rolltide and paulewalnutz like this.
  19. Alan Springer

Alan Springer New Member

Hey Doc,

I have just started the same. Question, do you let the Tergikleen dry on the record before you do the rinse with distilled water? Do you see any problem if I were to let it dry then do my DO rinse on a Record Doctor vac system. Reason I ask is that my first true today I had to vac off Tergikleen then do the rinse. This meant 4 cycles on the Record Doctor.

20. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I use triton x-100 to scrub my records clean of the big and sticky stuff followed by ultrasonic to eliminate the microscopic stuff. Has anyone tried tergikleen in their ultrasonic bath? Triton followed by tergikleen could be a nice one-two punch to knock out surface noise.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You shouldn't let the tergikleen solution dry on your records. If you do, make sure you rinse, a lot. You should always vacuum the solution when still wet.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Why not use Triton X-100 in your ultrasonic bath? I am :) Got the idea from others doing the same. Triton X-100 is an alternative to Tergitol and just as good according to the, now famous, Audiokarma record cleaning thread.

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Not only should you not let it dry, there isn't any benefit from letting it sit for a while either like an enzyme cleaner. It's wax on/wax off.

SandAndGlass and eddiel like this.
  24. Doc Young

Doc Young Forum Resident

I actually just squirt some distilled water onto the wet lp and use my vpi brush to mix the water in and vacuum off. Really if the album is totally wet the results would be just as good if you just sucked off the dirty water. The directions with the Tergikleen says it must be rinsed off.

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I tried this a while back and didn't have much luck with it. Are you guys letting it soak for a while?