Some STREET TALK With Steve Perry POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    WIKIPEDIA:

Studio album by Steve Perry
    Released
    April 1984
    Recorded 1983-1984 at Record One in Los Angeles, California
    Genre Pop rock
    Length 39:20
    Label Columbia
    Next Plateau Entertainment (distribution only)
    Producer Steve Perry, Bruce Botnick

Street Talk is Steve Perry's first solo album, released in April 1984.

Street Talk contains Perry's biggest hit as a solo artist, "Oh Sherrie", written for his then-girlfriend Sherrie Swafford. The song hit #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on Billboard's Rock chart, and the accompanying music video (also featuring Swafford) was a hit on MTV. Other singles included "Foolish Heart" (peaked at # 18, "She's Mine" (peaked at #21), and "Strung Out" (peaked at #40
    There were a number of nods to Perry's pre-Journey band Alien Project on this album—in fact, that band was originally going to be called Street Talk. In the liner notes, Perry dedicates the album to Richard Michaels (the bassist for Alien Project). Also, drummer Craig Krampf was a member of Alien Project later in the 1970s.

Street Talk is certified as 2x Platinum (2,000,000) in sales by the RIAA.

It is one of the first albums Next Plateau Entertainment has distributed.

Personnel:

• Production:
    • Produced By Steve Perry and Bruce Botnick
    • Recorded & Mixed By Niko Bolas
    • Recording Assistant & Additional Engineering: Richard Bosworth
    • Recording Assistant on "Strung Out": Denny Densmore
    • Originally Mastered By Mike Reese
    Flashback: Steve Perry Declares His Love for 'Oh Sherrie'

100 Best Singles of 1984: Pop's Greatest Year

Remember this album big 1984. Oh Sherrie dominated the radio and MTV. This whole album plays beautifully and each song is placed perfectly.

Perry had three top 10 albums previously with Journey, Departure 1980, Escape 1981, Frontiers 1983. Released April 1984 Steve's first solo album Street Talk would be another monster success for Perry.

1984 greatest year in pop history? Well if you agree or not Steve Perry's Oh Sherrie & the album Street Talk were a big part of that magical pop year.
    1984 Perry and all the Journey members were on top of the musical world. Perry's monster album Street Talk would be even more massive success for Steve.

What a career ride for Perry 1980--1984. Like or dislike him, few musicians have reached the height of success Steve had in that four year span.

ispace, sean monaghan and John Adam like this.
  2. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

My favorite from this set.

altaeria, bvb1123, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

4. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

Great album I chose:
    Oh Sherrie
    She's Mine
    Foolish Heart
    Strung Out

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Oh Sherrie
    Strung Out

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was a huge fan of "Frontiers" as that was one of the first records I bought so naturally I should love this album. But, I never did and "Oh, Sherrie" would be one of those hated songs I could never get out of my head which made it hated even more. In fact, it is stuck there right now! So that is my reason for no vote.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

;)
    Yeah I hear ya

Oh Sherrie, our love
    Holds on, holds on
    Oh Sherrie, our love
    Holds on, holds on

Even for the haters this song has very infectious lyrics and music.

John Adam likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I recall hearing "Oh Sherrie" for the first time and the huskiness in Perry's voice really struck me. Anyway...I only recently heard this album front to back when I found a vinyl copy.

My Picks:

Oh Sherrie
    Foolish Heart
    Strung Out

9. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

No surprises here: "Oh Sherrie" and "Foolish Heart".

10. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

1. Oh Sherrie
    2. Foolish Heart
    3. She's Mine

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

13. I Believe is a very nice detour into soul. Foolish Heart has the strongest melody. But I think I like the darkness and deep groove of She's Mine. Oh Sherrie isn't as interesting, but the session guitarist did a great job turning that fairly simple guitar part into something really effective.

14. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

"Oh Sherrie"
    "She's Mine"
    "Captured By The Moment"
    "Strung Out"

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just cleaned this vinyl thoroughly, sounds incredible on the turntable.

artfromtex, c-eling and John Adam like this.
  16. jrnyfn

jrnyfn Forum Resident

I enjoy this album even though it's at times a bit too sentimental.

When the reissue came out and I heard those demos, though. Wow, how did it take so long for the industry to get this man's voice on tape?
    While I can understand people having their opinions about his music, I think it's hard to argue the amazing quality of his voice.

Also, this album marks, for me, the beginning of the decline of that voice. Clearly he damaged his vocal chords in some way during this time. While range generally shifts with age, the raspiness is not necessarily.
    All you need to do is hear some live shows from the ROR era.

17. John Adam

I'm surprised this (thread) is not catching on fire. Steve was the voice of Journey after all. But he was in a great band, not denying that! :)

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Perry 1980--1984 incredible Journey & solo run.

John Adam likes this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There have been a lot of threads about Steve Perry in the past. So maybe it's just Perry burnout.

20. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

Why so little votes for Running Alone? I say it's his best solo track by far. Me thinks you all need another listen.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I like Steve Perry and he has recorded some decent songs through the years, but my main interest in his solo album, "Street Talk", was that one of my favorite singer/songwriters Randy Goodrum, co-wrote many of the songs on it. Randy, for those of you who don't know, wrote the hits "You Needed Me" (Anne Murray), "Bluer Than Blue" (Michael Johnson), "Who's Holding Donna Now" (Debarge), "I'll Be Over You" (Toto), among others. Here is Randy telling the funny story of how Steve Perry called him out of the blue, about writing songs for his then, first solo album.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

It does, a great precursor to the widely fan divided 'Raised on Radio' album of which I enjoy :cheers:

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

While "Oh Sherrie" and "Foolish Heart" were fantastic, bona fide hits, I still think "For The Love of Strange Medicine" was the stronger solo album, which I know is the minority view. The '94 album was more consistent to these ears, but it did not have any big hits and was not released at the height of Journey's success, which likely contributed to the '94 album not performing particularly well.

25. John Adam

I enjoyed both albums. The first seemed more like a Journey spin-off album, the second seemed not to really be influenced much by the past, just Steve singing what he wanted to at the time. He sounded great though, and I agree it's a set worth checking out for that great voice in a different, more mellow setting. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.