Mistakes in songs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kaztor, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I thought that was John.

2. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he sang "If this ever-changing world in which we're livin'."

Kinda like Neil Armstrong.

3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Mamas and Papas = "I Saw Her Again Last Night"

4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

"I'm Free" by The Rolling Stones, must hold some kind of record for leaving in most mistakes as possible.
    The tambourine is out-of-sync. Charlie's timing and fills are riddled with error's.
    The band only recorded at RCA for two days, but recorded 8 songs, of which seven was released. High Tide indeed.

MPLRecords, FJFP, DTK and 3 others like this.
  5. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Eddie Van Halen has 2 keyboard mistakes in "Jump" -one during the fade that's easy to hear. Another that is pretty well covered up by other stuff going on but can be heard well on the keyboard only track on YouTube at 3:21. 3:59 is the mistake during the fade.

whisper3978 and Burning Tires like this.
  6. zaza_3121

zaza_3121 Forum Resident

Everytime I listen to Watch That Man by Bowie, I can't get over how bad the bass line is! What were they thinking? Were they drunk while recording those parts?

7. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

"Put The Money Down" - The Who. Check the drums versus the rest of the band at 1'15-1'17, there is a weird vocal in the background around 2'08 - 2'10

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Carl Wilson refused to release Soulful Old Man Sunshine, cause he flubbed the line once , 'Shoulful Old Man Sunshine.' It's out now.

Zack and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Dylan - Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again

Sounds like the verse about grandpa has Dylan singing an older version before he quickly corrects himself. He seems to sing, "when I saw him..." but rapidly readjusts, "He built a fire on Main Street..." He only gets out the "when I sss..." before correcting it.

Edit: @Chemguy pointed this out in the thread already.

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Dylan flubs the very first line of "You Angel You", starting to sing a line from later in the song - "You angel you, you're as (fine as anything's fine)" but correcting himself midline and jumping to "got me under your wing". This version was Take 4 (they stopped after it). In an alternate universe, Tom Wilson comes in after the flubbed line with his trademark whistle and "Take 5".

When Dylan bought the song out of mothballs for live performance in 1990, he started with "You angel you, you got me under your spell" ... just to confound the wise. :)

11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Guitar solo? George.

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

What's the mistake?

13. Zack

Zack Senior Member

In Do You Wanna Dance, Dennis was started to sing "squeeze me, squeeze me" instead of "kiss me, baby" and it came out "Skiss me baby."

14. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

One of my favorites is in Bang a Gong by T Rex. Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan do backup vocals on this, and at about the 3:19 mark one of them (I can't tell who) accidentally sings a falsetto "get it on." I have heard this was an unintentional mistake but it never stuck out to me in a huge way. Kind of like the above poster's mention of the vocal punch-in mistake on I Saw Her Again Last Night, it works out in the song, sort of adds unique character to it.

15. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Beware of Darkness by Spock's Beard, Neal Morse heard the Leon Russell version of this George Harrison song and decided to write a proggy version of this. He didn't have a lyrics sheet while recording the vocals so he went with what he understood from Russell's vocals which are not very clear, so he ended up singing something that sounds very much like "Take care, beware of farts that linger" and he didn't realize until it was pointed out after the song was released.

From the liner notes by Neal Morse: "The funny thing was I had never heard the original Harrison version 'til we were doing the final mix of our version. I barely recognized the song! Also, Leon (Russell) is quite a word garbler and I couldn't figure out what he was saying and the internet was not what it is now (those are all my excuses) so I didn't have a lyric sheet and I'm actually saying some incorrect words here. And it wasn't 'til the record was actually OUT that a friend of mine called me and asked why the first thing I say is about being careful of flatulence! I didn't know what he was talking about! Then I listened and though 'wow, he's right... that IS what is sounds like'. So, to set the record straight it's 'THOUGHTS' that linger, OK?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

The funniest part about that is if you have the Rundgren booklet for Something Anything, he actually writes 'the singer flubs the line' paraphrasing. Remember that booklet had a little story written by Todd about the last of the 4 sides.

17. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Elton John - "Too Low For Zero" (The title track)

He sings "switching off the late light news" instead of "late night"

18. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I remember my mom pointed that out and now I hear the 3 'in's every time. This is what people mean I guess when they say Paul suddenly forgot how to write great lyrics.

Oh and the other mistake on "My Love" by McCartney- a song that started with the chorus originally but then the intro was cut so the line 'and when I go away' became the first line. In hindsight Paul said he liked starting the line with 'and' but personally, I think he didn't realize and then covered the mistake with saying it was intentional.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

'Suddenly'.

Lyrics to Wings song Mumbo (McCartney)

MitchLT, ianuaditis and WilliamWes like this.
  20. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Gene Simmons bass flub in Shock Me

21. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

This is not a mistake. It's a variation of the original verse. Sounds human and in the moment rather than slavishly sticking to a script in robotic mode.

This kind of slight change in lyrics happens all the time and I think it helps people to stay engaged and involved in a song. Especially after multiple listens.

tkl7 likes this.
  22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"S***, I don't know how I'm gonna get that in there..."

Dynamic Ranger and bzfgt like this.
  23. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

in The Searchers version of 'Farmer John' there is a very distinctive extra guitar 'ching' by John McNally first at 33 secs into it then again later just on the pause after the guitar solo at about 1 min 14 secs into it before Tony Jackson sings; 'I Like The Way She Walks....' - which all sounds intended but McNally later admitted it was actually an error !

...so he had to repeat it thereafter during the song as it was expected - now you would probably miss it if it wasn't there...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

"I Need To Be In Love" by the Carpenters

The line: "I'm wide awake at 4am without a friend in sight. Hanging on a hoop that I'm alright." The word "hoop" should have been "hope."

25. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

One day, Geddy Lee will explain why he sings "Evelate" instead of "Elevate" on the fade out of "Vital Signs". Hopefully. Geddy?

BPMC, PhoenixWoman, Dmac99 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.