Mistakes in songs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kaztor, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Nothing, just overuse of "in's".LOL

2. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

The Carpenters sang "California Dreamin'" and Karen "began" to pray instead of pretending to pray.

3. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Paul hits a bad note on piano at a little agfter start of final verse on Let it Be

Drifter likes this.
  4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I always thought it was 'began'

5. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Maybe the greatest mistake in soul music history is Otis Redding's[Sitting On the Dock Of A bay],the whistling part at the end is a result of him forgetting the lyrics...but it worked out pretty well.

6. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Eric Clapton sings "No lead to leave so soon" somewhere in Lay Down Sally. I think it sounds cool.

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I always figured it was for the same reason McCartney sang "Aminals in the zoo" on "Wild Life"...possibly some good stuff they were smokin' before laying down the vocals!

8. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

Almost any song by Joy Division live, haha! Stephen Morris was the only one not making mistakes, I'd say.

altaeria and Dudley Morris like this.
  9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Having seen a few interviews with the band from that era where they all look very... relaxed, that is by far the most plausible explanation.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Beach Boys-Darlin on the Wild Honey Pastmasters cd. One chorus starts off "Arlin". This was fixed on the Sunshine Tomorrow cd.Wish they kept it in though, it adds even more to a great song.

11. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

The Special AKA - Gangsters

The Drummer goes into the 'fast drill' way too early in the song but stops himself and it just comes over as a skip-beat.

The only reason I know this, is the band I was in did a cover of "Gangsters", and during rehearsal he did the same mistake. I turned around to say "yeah!" but he was shaking his head and couldn't be persuaded to keep it in.

12. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

More Beatles:

Yes It Is - there is a clash in the harmony on the first line of each verse (it happens on the word 'tonight'). It's very jarring - someone is a semitone away from the note he should be singing.

It Won't Be Long - there is what sounds like a really bad tape splice halfway through, which cuts off John in mid-strum

Getting Better - out of tune vocals on "Man, I was mean" but I kind of like it somehow!

I Want To Hold Your Hand - even as a 10 year old, I thought that Paul's harmony vocal on the second middle eight sounded wobbly at certain points

If I Fell - Paul having problems with his harmonies again. His voice noticeably cracks on one of the 'was in vain' lines in the stereo mix

Every Little Thing - electric 12 string is out of tune

13. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

and probably gave the singer the evil eye.

Aerosmith: On the first album on "Somebody" Whitford plays the wrong chord and then sits out for a beat or two before recovering.

Jimmy Page blew so many small clams all over the Zeppelin catalog they could have served it at a Boston supper club. Loved it all anyway.

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The exact same thing happened in "Venus Loon", i'm sure it was a mistake they left :)
    Gloria Jones starts singing an extra"Oh my venus...!" (the "oh my venus loon, it'll make you swoon" part is repeated throughout the song) at 2:20.

I think T.Rex sessions were quite loose :) Marc Bolan was unbearable around that time too, full of himself - cocaine and champagne. He shouted at Tony Visconti for saying his guitar was out of tune in the presence of hangers-on in the studio.

There's Otis Redding you can almost hear gasp in surprise when the first break comes in "Satisfaction".

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Ludger and Morton LaBongo like this.
  15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

These are more errors in mixing than in the performance, but two I can think of:

In "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles, the mono version features the response vocals through the entire final verse:

As we live a life of ease (a life of ease)
    Every one of us (every one of us)
    Has all we need (has all we need)

But the stereo mix "forgets" to bring them in until later:

As we live a life of ease
    Every one of us (...one of us)
    Has all we need (has all we need)

The other one I can think of is "Creeque Alley" by the Mamas and the Papas. I'm not sure if it's on both the mono single version and the mono album version, but at least one of the two features a repeat of the line "becoming a reality" after the final verse. The stereo version mixes it out carelessly, because you can hear the letter "T" at the end of where the line appears in the mono mix.

16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Also on their Live at Monterey Pop album, after the second bridge of "Monday Monday", the bass player hits a bum note that throws Cass and Michelle way off key. A truly cringe-worthy moment, but at least it shows that it's an honest warts and all live recording, not doctored up in the studio.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

On one of his Whiskey A Go Go albums, Johnny Rivers did a cover of Hoyt Axton's "Greenback Dollar". To clean the song up, he changed the chorus "I don't give a damn about a greenback dollar" to "I don't give a hang...", but on the 3rd chorus he forgot to censor himself.

18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Pronoun abuse in several early Beatles tunes.

19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"As long as I can hear mistakes, I know the music's breathing." - Miles Davis

20. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

In the same vein as "Live and Let Die," John Mellencamp sings in "Small Town":

"Oh, I cannot forget from where it is that I come from"

The lyric sheets have only the second "from," but he very clearly sings the word twice.

21. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

The "but" that Sinatra adds to the lyrics of "Someone To Watch Over Me" is grammatically incorrect, in the same vein as the extra "in" in "Live And Let Die" and the extra "from" in "Small Town".

Although I may not be the man some
    Girls think of as handsome
    BUT to her heart I'll carry the key

22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

And on at least 3 songs on The Beach Boys Love You: "I remember you and I", "I think about you and I", and another song contains the always inexcusable "Her and I." Brian Wilson did it for rhyming purposes, but he could have worked a bit harder on the lyrics by changing the rhyme. That's why he usually just wrote the music and worked with other lyricists.

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Sinatra: Every one of our cares are gone.

24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

In Dolly Parton's "Coat of Many Colors", near the end of this otherwise great song is the awkward syntax of "One is only poor only if they choose to be."
    In Dottie Rambo's "Sheltered in the Arms of God", in 2 separate verses, she used the word "trod" (past tense of "tread") as a present tense verb.

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

"Honour your mistake as a hidden intention"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.