Close Encounters of the Third Kind rereleased to theaters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by primejive, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primejive

primejive Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

This summer, Chicago has been filled with free films. The Patio theater has been showing films like ET, Jaws, Jurassic Park and others for free. I don't know if they're paying for the rental and hoping to make enough on sodas and popcorn, or if this is an official studio program to get people back into the theater habit.

Chris from Chicago and Jrr like this.
  3. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Oh, I am in!

Manimal likes this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

This means something
    [​IMG]

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I NEED to see this on the biggest screen I can find.

Ghostworld and longdist01 like this.
  6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

If you've never seen this, then you need to know that the film's climax is an incredible 40 minutes!

7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Hey! Use a "spoiler" button next time, eh?? :D
    I have never seen this and am considering doing so if it's in my area.

lightbulb and soundboy like this.
  8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have never seen this movie.

soundboy likes this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

In early 1978, I made my grandmother take me to see this film on three consecutive days.

I had a very devoted grandmother.

yesstiles, supermd, andybeau and 7 others like this.
  10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Me either....at least not the entire film at one seating.

I was more into "Star Wars" during that time.

11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Also being released as 4K HD special edition DVD set

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Never saw it on big screen.

13. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

I never try to make "greatest" lists, but this has to be in my top 20 of all time. And while I did see Star Wars in the theater in 1977 when I was 8 years old, Close Encounters of the Third Kind eluded my consciousness back then. So I didn't see it until sometime in the early 80s on pan-and-scan VHS. Thus, this is a must for me to see it the theater. The question is, which version are they releasing: the original 1977 theatrical cut, the 1980 Special Edition, or the 1998 Collector's Edition (Director's Cut)? My bet is on the 1998 version, which—in my humble opinion—is the best cut of the three.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I saw it on it's initial release. I purchased the VHS tape. I purchased the DVD, and I purchased the Bluray.
    If it comes to the theater here in S. Florida, I will be there. Nothing like the Big Screen, Movie Theatre
    Experience.

15. How does one go about finding movies like this when they are only shown in limited small theaters in your area?
    This may have enough advertising but often events like this go unnoticed.
    What would you suggest as a good way to know when things like this appear for viewing?
    Not being an avid movie goer I really don't know, but there have been a few I would have seen had I known.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Galley likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This is DEFINITELY a big-screen presentation. The sweeping opening shots are cream of the crop and the perfectly conceived scale of the final scenes are big-scale Hollywood at its best. And what's not to like? Great characters, great actors, beautifully shot. From Saudi Arabia to India, a big-screen epic all the way.

wayneklein, Galley and longdist01 like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

"Zey belong here... more zan we!"

Simon A and longdist01 like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

We seen this at the drive-in back when it was released: I fell asleep-Never seen any of it since then.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Bob Balaban's autobiography of his experience making that film is a wonderful read. He gets asked by Spielberg if he can speak French, then finds out that he's going to be working with his favorite director, Truffout! The crew at one point made t-shirts featuring that phrase as "Zey belong gear, Mozambique."

Vidiot likes this.
  21. I still think that the original cut, with its flaws, is best.

Downsampled, Dude111, Solaris and 2 others like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, that is a good book. What is more troubling is that several years later, Truffaut wrote his autobiography and said that the production of CE3K was "chaotic" and that Spielberg was in over his head, and the French director was baffled by the enormous waste of money and time and resources (given that the movie went more than $10 million over budget). I was surprised by how sharply critical Truffaut was, both of the production and of the finished feature. I got the impression there was some jealousy involved there, because at the time, the movie was Columbia Pictures' biggest hit in the history of the studio (and also the most expensive movie they had ever made).

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I honestly don't think I could watch this again. A great movie, it made an impression that is still there. There was so much I liked and so much that bothered me.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I liked Fathom Events on Facebook and it posts when the new round of movies is going to shown on my newsfeed.

25. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I preordered it on UHD BD, US edition, are there any news if the UHD BD is having all three different cuts previously available on BD? Everytime I saw the original theatrical cut I had the feeling that there are scenes missing, there are "jumps" on the pace of the movie, I don't remember which one of the other cuts sorted out this, but one did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.