Metal Machine Music: Unappreciated or justly ignored?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greenoort, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Buncha lightweights. MMM isn't even the worst Lou Reed album.

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have the CD mostly for historical purposes only. Can't say I have listened to it more than two times in the 20 some years I have owned it.

squittolo likes this.
  3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Whereas "The Raven" gets played weekly round at your house.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Seriously, the best part is the liner notes and the album cover.

Passion--REALISM--realism was the key. The records were letters. Real letters from me to certain other people. Who had and still have basically, no music, be it verbal or instrumental to listen to. One of the peripheral effects typically distorted was what was to be known as heavy metal rock. In Reality it was of course diffuse, obtuse, weak, boring and ultimately an embarrassment. This record is not for parties/dancing/background romance. This is what I ment by "real" rock, about "real" things. No one I know has listened to it all the way through including myself. It is not meant to be. Start any place you like. Symmetry, mathematical precision, obsessive and detailed accuracy and the vast advantage one has over "modern electronic composers." They, with neither sense of time, melody or emotion, manipulated or no. It's for a certain time and place of mind. It is the only recorded work I know of seriously done as well as possible as a gift, if one could call it that, from a part of certain head to a few others. Most of you won't like this and I don't blame you at all. It's not meant for you. At the very least I made it so I had something to listen to. Certainly Misunderstood: Power to Consume (how Bathetic): an idea done respectfully, intelligently, sympathetically and graciously, always with concentration on the first and formost goal. For that matter, off the record, I love and adore it. I'm sorry, but not especially, if it turns you off.

One record for us and it. I'd harbored hope that the intelligence that once inhabited novels or films would ingest rock, I was, perhaps, wrong. This is the reason Sally Can't Dance--your Rock n Roll Animal. More than a decent try, but hard for us to do badly. Wrong media, unquestionably. This is not meant for the market. The agreement one makes with "speed". A specific acknowlegment. A to say the least, very limited market. Rock n Roll Animal makes this possible, funnily enough. The misrepresentation succeeds to the point of making possible the appearance of the progenitor. For those for whom the needle is no more than a toothbrush. Professionals, no sniffers please, don't confuse superiority (no competition) with violence, power or the iustifications. The Tacit speed agreement with Self. We did not start World War I, II or III. Or the Bay of Pigs, for that Matter. Whenever. As way of disclaimer. I am forced to say that, due to stimulation of various centers (remember OOOOHHHMMM, etc.), the possible negative contraindications must be pointed out. A record has to, of all things Anyway, hypertense people, etc. possibility of epilepsy (petite mal), psychic motor disorders, etc... etc... etc.
    My week beats your year.

Lou Reed

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I like to return wow when give wow. Glad you appreciate the insight within my response. :)

PDK likes this.
  6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Also, as Lester Bangs pointed out, namedropping LaMonte Young on the cover and spelling his name wrong was so Lou in the trashy 70s. I believe he also pointed out, regarding Lou's claim that speedfreaks hadn't started any World Wars or the Bay of Pigs, that the Nazis invented the stuff and JFK was whacked out on benzedrine.

seed_drill likes this.
  7. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Yes. I learned a lot about you and I envy your complete honesty.

mr.datsun likes this.
  8. moops

moops Senior Member

I've posted this before in some other MMM thread, but i like to approach it as a kind of transmission from some "otherworld". Little sounds and frequencies are emerging all the time. You can focus on different tones, the resonances.

mr.datsun and klockwerk like this.
  9. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Didn't he call it his Blonde On Blonde?

10. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Lou was such a joker.

11. Ninja Bomber

Ninja Bomber Forum Resident

Humor in music? How very dare he?!

12. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Definitely inspired in part by Warhol, though not specifically Sleep I'd say.

This was the very method used by Andy Warhol, who Lou Reed considered a 'genius,' on Empire.

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That would explain why the recording doesn't have much depth and the other sonic issues I was complaining about earlier in the thread. Genius would have been figuring out how to do something interesting like that while preserving natural stereo imaging and soundstage.

14. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I'm a Lou Reed fan who enjoys Metal Machine Music but dislikes New York. His catalogue is varied enough for there to be something for everybody.

15. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

The quad mix might be just what you're looking for. As a Canadian I was delighted to find a Robert Ludwig mastered U.S. copy.

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

The extreme reactions in this thread prove the album's reason it exists.
    Some are flat out dismissive, some are praising it, and/or are being contrarian for the sake of being so. Some have tried to listen all the way through, some are trying hard to keep up the facade of taking it seriously. Some are even using it to blast "classic rockers'" tastes.
    These seem to be more about the member posting replies than the actual album.
    I think that's why Reed had this concept. And like most prolific artists, he was already beyond it and onto the next thing when it was released.

I'm not really a Lou Reed fan, but I respect and am fascinated by him and his art.

steelinYaThighs and klockwerk like this.
  17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I was referring to Electronic Sound.

18. Ninja Bomber

This just in: People like different kinds of music.

News at eleven.

arthurprecarious and GreenFuz like this.
  19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I was referring to Electronic Sound. I did try listening to MMM. Still don't find interesting or enjoyable.

vince and Nostaljack like this.
  20. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

If MMM is the worst, you really should try a few more things...

Ninja Bomber likes this.
  21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Is the quad mix done differently, without playing the recording backwards on another channel?

I've never tried the quad mix or even looked at what is different between the quad version and stereo version. I listen on headphones. Quad doesn't make much sense for someone who does headphone listening. Surround and quad can be done on headphones if you use DSP (like Waves Nx) or hardware like the Smyth Realiser. I have Waves Nx. I'll find the quad version and give it a try.

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The point is to do what you are capable of doing well.

klockwerk likes this.
  23. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

It's the same recording, just in 4 channels. It's sides 2 and 4 that are backwards, not individual channels.

24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yes I have my standards. Don't attempt to do things you can't do well or at least at the required level. I have no problem with anyone trying to do something new but if you can't really do it well then don't publish it . Once you publish then critics are entitled to carp.

25. Ninja Bomber

No, the point is to do whatever the eff you want, if you feel like that's what gives you an outlet. That's what creativity is (or at least should be) all about.

The fans and so called "critics" can go ride a seatless bike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.