Toronto record stores recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Mike6565, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive! Thread Starter

Hi, I plan on visiting Toronto next week, can anyone suggest some good record stores to check out?

Thanks!

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

A lot depends on what you're looking for genre wise and your budget, but here goes anyway, in no particular order.

If you wanted to hit the most records stores on one street, I'd say you're best bet is Queen St W (and East if have the time).

Queen St W & E stores (and some just off of Queen St)

Cosmos on Queen St W, two locations. Queen St W location has most of their rock stuff and soul. Their other location down the road on Palmerston (just off Queen St W) has mostly jazz, brazil, latin, etc. Some rock there too worth checking out. They have a great selection, great condition items but they are pricey and Id say their prices are in the collectors side of pricing. You won't really find a deal unless they don't know what they have and price low. Which has happened from time to time. Only used stuff.

Short Stack Records, Queen St W and John St, underground where Black Market is. Good priced, selection can be good and in great condition. His best stuff can go quickly but if you're there when he's buying something hot, you'll get it. Definitely worth checking out. Some new but mostly used.

Kops They have a few locations. Queen St W location is both used and new. Not a fan of this store to be honest. Definitely check condition. They can be on the pricey end in relation to condition. But they can have some great stuff in. If you run out of time, skipping this one is fine IMO

Tiny Record Shop - On the other end of Queen St. It is small, but well curated. Good selection, generally on the pricey end but based on what they have, makes sense.

Sonic Boom - Ok not Queen St but they're on Spadina just north of Queen St so if you're doing a Queen St run, it makes sense. Both used and new. I haven't been there in a very long time. I generally find their used selection lacking as they can't keep enough stuff in. At least that was the case when I used to go. I blame the rabid customer base!

Rotate This - no strictly Queen St W either but they're just north of Queen St on Ossington. 5 min walk. Might be too west on Queen St W for your time availability. But they're used selection is pretty good as are the prices.

Discovery - Queen St E. Good prices in most cases, ridiculous in others (check out the wall) but it's mostly good prices. Selection all over the place. But I like the darn place.

College St Stores

June Records - both used and new. Used prices are decent, selection is pretty good. I find their stuff goes quickly though in some cases.

Quixotic Sounds yet to visit myself. More on the eclectic side of things. They have no website but they have a FB page Quixotic Sounds Toronto Others that have been like it so I'm listing it.

Neurotica Records - recently moved to College St. Worth checking out. Prices were fair when they were on Queen St W. Selection was pretty good. Also sells cds, dvds, etc.

There are more in the city but I'm tired and I'm going to bed. :)

3. Mike6565

thanks very much!

4. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I'm in Toronto every month or so to visit family and friends. eddiel's list is great - very comprehensive! :). If I only have time to hit one shop while in T.O. it's Sonic Boom. A few months back I spent 4 hours there and ended up spending $40 on Fedex to ship my finds home lol. Safe travels and happy vinyl hunting :)

eddiel and Mike6565 like this.
  5. Mike6565

I mapped them all out and will carry them with me, if I can get to one or two I will be thrilled, will have to convince my family to come along for a bit, but my hotel is on Bay Street so I think I might be able to check a couple of those shops out within walking distance.. but in case I am in other parts I will dash in.

Thanks again guys!

eddiel likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Maybe I should go there more often. For awhile it felt like their new arrivals section was robbed just before I got there as it was so empty! Mostly trouble finding new used stock rather than anything negative toward the shop. But they do have an active team sourcing new used stock so things probably improved on that front.

GroovyGuy likes this.
  7. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

True story. One issue they has is that they started supplying a local radio station with all their vinyl and the radio station started promoting the fact that Sonic Boom supplied all their vinyl. As a result, TONS of people "discovered" the store all at once which resulted in increased sales :) but lower inventory :(. As you noted, they've got dedicated people sourcing for the store as it's in their best interest to have stock on hand as they realixed they can't sell what they don't have lol ;)

Mike6565 likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I had no idea about that. I'm guessing it might be Indie 88 :) They've always been pretty popular so this probably just added to their inventory issues.

GroovyGuy and Mike6565 like this.
  9. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

They played a part in increased demand but there is another station in town that makes quite a BOOM with their "Turntable Tuesdays" lol ;)

10. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

If you are looking for new vinyl, Rotate This has the best prices in the city BY FAR in my experience. If you're a craft beer fan and you go to Rotate, please be sure to stop in at Bellwoods Brewery for a pint or two...you'll thank me later. They have a nice, family-friendly outdoor patio. They are on Ossington just south of Rotate This.

Mike6565 likes this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If he can get onto Bellwoods patio it'll be a miracle! :) Might be doable mid week.

audiolab1 likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I went out there today to check them out, lots of rare early 90's pressings like Robert Plant Fate of Nations $200, nice selection of rare metal and so on....too expensive for my wallet.

Tiny Record Shop (@tinyrecordshop) • Instagram photos and videos

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.