Schiit Audio (Mike Moffat) designs turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident

So what assures the azimuth adjustment stays the same between albums or is it something I with have to do a fine adjustment on every time I play an album?

2. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I was focusing on the new planar 6 or the Mofi Ultradeck for my 2nd system. But now there's some Schiit in the mix to consider, it will be interesting to see how things shake out. I won't be in a rush, as the Schiit looks like it may take a while yet.

If the Sol actually comes in at under $1000, that would be pretty wild.

3. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I'm a pretty major league idiot, todd.:cool:

toddrhodes likes this.
  4. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

You could take it to that level but just a general azimuth setting it normally good enough.

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

You got quoted...

The art of the tease: Schiit's forthcoming Sol turntable | DAR__KO

That would be a great price range. Now if only you had an idea when it was going to be released...

dmckean likes this.
  6. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Fun!

Knowing Schiit it will be released serveral months after what they annouce it will. No big deal though, my record collection isn't going anywhere and I'll be ready for it whenever it drops.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Glorious if they can make a great product for 400-800 clams. Options for consumers, yeah! Less dollars in the pockets of the usual suspects, yeah! Laying waste to the probable-lie that manufacturers can only make great machines if they price them at $1,000 or way above, that's what I hope someone like Schiit does in this market. I had hoped that U-Turn would make a leap up from their machines but they don't seem to be going in that direction. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone could drive these prices down?

McLover, Manimal and Robert C like this.
  8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

You gotta think someone can make a truly good turntable for $700 for the US market. 'Cuz that's how much the new Rega Planar 3 costs in the UK.

If they can do it, we should be able to, too. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    russk likes this.
  9. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Sony is trying, Denon is trying, Pioneer is trying. Me thinks its not as easy as we might wish. Roy Gandy and the folks at Rega are very clever out of the box thinkers.

Cheers

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I would like to see them make extra armwands available for us cart swappers. I had two for my Scout and that was my favorite feature of the VPI. Seems simple enough with this design as long as they don't make the connection to the output connectors permanent.

Manimal likes this.
  11. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

The video clearly shows and states just that, how simple an arm (+cartridge) swap will be with the Schiit, easily unplugs.

I do that now with my ET-2, spare wand for my mono cart.
    Something tells me the Schiit could be very compelling, I hope they include speed technology with it!

Manimal likes this.
  12. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

It's not easy, and Gandy & Co. are good at what they do. But they're not invincible.

If they were, the RP8 and 10 would dominate the US market at their respective price points, and they don't... in fact far from it.

Rega has a built-in price disadvantage of about 30-35% in the US market (for instance, Planar 3 costs about $700 in the UK, but $945 in the US), which gives an opening for someone to come in and take share from them, assuming strong enough product/engineering/marketing.

Maybe Schiit will finally be that someone in $700-land. And, at the $900-1000 price point, VPI and MoFi are trying as well.

McLover likes this.
  13. wushuliu

wushuliu Forum Resident

Wow, the intro video sure has a lot of wiz pow fluff. References to steam engines, ancient japanese knots, anvil shooting. Christ, it's a turntable not a flux capacitor. Conrad Hoffmann is a known figure in diy circles (and has a website), so that's cool. My take away is that by having the arm be separable and customizable, they've made it easier to keep costs down. The aluminum platter will be interesting depending on weight. The heavier the better.

I don't buy into the Schiit 'disruptive' shtick - most of their products have strong competitors in the respective price ranges - but by focusing on a fidgety modular table with less polish than the pricey stuff they could satisfy the grumpy 'vintage' vinyl crowd as well as the younger analog geeks. So it's a good move.

My prediction though: The table will be around for only a limited time - as in a few years at best, so grab one fast. Notice the hint in the video that you are pretty much on your own with technical issues and you should talk to the "crazy" people on the forums!

recstar24 likes this.
  14. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

This looks very promising, will be very interesting to see where they ultimately land on price.

15. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

Very promising indeed. I'm looking forward to pricing.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Selling direct means half the price of through distributors and dealers. This is the way forward and will eventually together with the internet make overpriced dealer service a thing of the past. NVA in UK do it but he is s one man band pissing in the wind at the moment. I've not heard Schitt but their pricing could be even more competitive judging by the new power amps (even through their UK on line outlet).

17. Classicrock

Rega sell through dealers which means at least 50% added to cost. Even then their prices are pretty good for UK but not really much lower than competitive models. With their lower models and electronics direct sell might be viable. Need will and resource to service customers in house rather than just make things. Schitt have started out with new thinking of direct sell on line model and costed all that infrastructure in to a very good pricing policy. Probably due to using the old cost plus a reasonable profit as opposed to 'what is the max we can charge'.

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah--Schiit is very upfront about charging their bill of materials (BOM) plus a standard profit for all their products. Can't wait to see where this turntable comes out.

McLover likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Looks interesting. Not exactly what I'm looking for in my next turntable but interested to see specs and more details as they are released, as well as reviews from actual customers.

20. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Compare to the industry standard of 5X. Makes you really wonder how good a $1000 table is when it cost $200 to build. With Schitt you are probably getting a $400-500 table for $800. Could really put allot of 1K tables to shame, can't wait to see/hear it.

I'm honestly considering ordering a Freya, Vidar, Mani and Sol when it's available to compare to my current system. I'm afraid of what the results will be.

McLover and Robert C like this.
  21. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They're my favorite American company in audio. I have a first-gen Asgard, Mani, and Sys in my system. If I ever have the funds to upgrade, I'm going straight to a Saga and Vidar, and probably some Elac speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if Schiit eventually makes its own speakers, given this recent push into the two-channel business. If I ever want to move in the balanced direction, I'd go crazy and get a Freya and a second Vidar. I've been itching for a Technics SL-1200GR, but the Sol could be very good at approx. half the price.

McLover likes this.
  22. LaBlatte

LaBlatte Well-Known Member

Let's just hope that it won't be a vertical turntable like the video :D
    Schiit rulez.

Robert C likes this.
  23. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I know the two of us have talked about this before, but the markup in the US is more like 3X (sometimes more) and this gives Schiit an even bigger advantage here.

I would imagine the reason more companies don't sell direct has to do with the average age of people attending audio shows here being 56.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  24. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

I would imagine the reason more companies don't sell direct has to do with the average age of people attending audio shows here being 56.[/QUOTE]

Damn youngsters ruin everything!

Optimize and dmckean like this.
  25. Classicrock

Rega I am told have a pretty low mark up but other brands much more. US Imports have likely a 5 times mark up. Dealers always claim it's something like 30% but if that were true you wouldn't see the level of discounts and ex dem prices on some product. Cables are most profitable being several 100%. That is why overpriced interconnects are so heavily marketed and pushed. Probably keeping many dealers afloat. This is an area where direct sell could kill the rip off, but many internet sellers are just same as bricks and mortar operations.

dmckean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.