Mistakes in songs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kaztor, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Is it correct ?

"In the desert you can remember your name
    'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain" ?

(in America "A Horse With No Name").

I always find it awkward whenever I hear the song.

Herman Schultz and arley like this.
  2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

In the Beatles' Live At the Star Club recording of "Mr. Moonlight", instead of "Here I am on my knees", John Lennon sang "Here I am on my nose", but knowing John, it was very likely intentional.

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I always found it amusing that 15 years later, roger Waters would create a concept album about the Walklands War.

4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Given the unorthodox way they were recorded (Soft Machine playing over a recording of Syd solo, with his unique sense of timing, shall we say, and struggling to keep up, is very obvious on "No Good Trying"), it's not surprising that mistakes abound and it's a miracle these albums exist at all.

Another obvious example is "Late Night", the drummer is on the off beat for over half of the song.

Interesting chord at 2:40 too :)

(Don't get me wrong, I love Syd!).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  5. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Frank Sinatra at 1:47 of You're Driving Me Crazy. He starts to say "huyt" in a faux-accent and quickly changes his mind to "hurt". I've never been able to figure out why this mistake was left alone. It just sounds bizarre to these ears. Especially for such a perfectionist as Sinatra

6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Wow ! Never heard this before :yikes:

deany76 likes this.
  7. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Syd honestly deserves a whole mistake thread to himself. "If it's in You," for example begins with a mistake, causing Syd to start over (and it doesn't really get better after that ;)). I also love Syd's music, especially The Madcap Laughs, which probably contains the most mistakes of any of his albums.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I always thought he either: 1) didn't like the song and was not going to do a retake or, 2) thought it was funny and left it in as a giggle (see "Love is Just around the Corner")

Dodoz and Bob F like this.
  9. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

The Song Is Over (The Who) - a rogue bass drum kick after the line "She tried to find me".

crustycurmudgeon likes this.
  10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

There's the last track from Hendrix's Rainbow Bridge lp.

Hey Baby
    Where do you coming from?

In all fairness, it was a demo and he was probably composing it as he was recording it. I'm grateful for all of it.

Lost In The Flood and Dodoz like this.
  11. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

A good song, like an Amish quilt, should have one intentional error.

12. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Frank Sinatra - What's New? (1958) - Frank is slightly off mike when he comes back in after the orchestral break in the middle

Cliff and The Shadows - Blue Turns to Grey (1966) - Hank Marvin drops a clanger with the second chord on the first chorus (kind of like it though!)

Beach Boys - Wouldn't it Be Nice - the intro (sounds like two guitars) are out of tune

13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Oh yes, it's just a guide vocal...
    "Where do you...ch...coming from"?
    I was learning English when I heard that, didn't help. :D

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

it wasn't a demo, but i don't think he would've gone with that take had he lived anyway. I can see him rerecording the entire track later or dropping in all or parts of a live rendition. The chosen take is just so uninspired by comparison to most live takes and the actual Hey Gypsy Boy demo.

15. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

I've often wondered why Brian never asked Dennis to cut a further attempt at his spoken interlude on The Beach Boys version of Auld Lang Syne on the Christmas Album. Surely one of the most obvious flubs out there...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Might as well ask whether "alligator lizards in the sky" is correct. In the sky.

Not going to win a win Nobel Prize for literature.

AveryKG and petem1966 like this.
  17. Kliph

Kliph Senior Member

How about "All Right Now" by Free. Just at the end of the Guitar Solo, one
    of the guitar's is late coming in. (3:36)

........Kliph

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

:confused: You're going to have to explain that one. Which pressing or digital remaster? Mono or stereo? Lyric or timecode?

(Also: What's New? - 1998 Digital Remaster, a song by Frank Sinatra on Spotify)

What I hear in the above [admittedly not the best stereo remix] is an intentional lowering of volume on his reentrance after the instrumental break at 3:35 ("Gee but it's nice..."), before the next climactic, louder, chorus ("What's new?..."). And not a lyric (nor engineering) mistake. Am I missing something?

nikh33 likes this.
  19. guitarman1969

It's from the 1987 remaster. I agree - Frank was setting up for the big chorus. I've always felt that he was either just a bit too far from the mike or had lowered his volume a little too much. That's just how I hear it - it sounds quieter than his previous verses. And we're talking about a singer who had great microphone technique as we know. Perhaps he wanted it that way. I wouldn't have argued with him!

There was a guy you have probably heard of called Glenn Berger and he recently published a book about his time working as a producer/engineer at A&R Studios in NYC. I don't have it but, a few years ago, he shared an anecdote from it which concerned Frank's recording of 'The Saddest Thing Of All" in 1975 (no longer online either). He was particularly struck by Frank's faultless microphone technique and the fact that they didn't need to use any compression on his vocal to even out the levels. Frank simply moved back and forth, raising and lowering his volume when the song required it and he nailed in one take. In and out in 30 minutes.

whisper3978, teag and Bob F like this.
  20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I asked just to see how it sounds to people who were born with the English language.

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

@glennberger is an SHF member: Article: "My 30 Minutes With Sinatra"*
    More at the SFF: My 30 Minutes With Sinatra: The Saddest Thing of All
    Archive link to his Sinatra article: My 30 Minutes With Sinatra: The Saddest Thing of All

hi_watt likes this.
  22. guitarman1969

Wow, I didn't know this! Thanks for the heads-up.

23. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

In Gordon Lightfoot's epic "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald", he refers to The Mariners' Church of Detroit as The Maritime Sailors' Cathedral. After a live performance of the song at the Cathedral, he told the congregation that he penned the lyrics under a false impression and all in future performances he'd refer to the church as a "rustic old hall" which would be technically correct.

He also changed the lyrics used in live performance of the song in 2010 and for all peformances thereafter but that was in reference to the specutated cause of Fitz's sinking which was not technically a change due to an error as there is still no concrete proof as to what sunk Fitz.

24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

This song was recorded at the end of a session, with not much time left, and Jacques Brel didn't think much of it at first.
    During the second take, he enjoyed the flourishes Marcel Azzola played on his accordion and told him to get loose on his instrument (1:36 : "Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!" 2:13 : "Chauffe! Chauffe ! Chauffe!") and his musicians to keep cooking (2:26 : "Chauffez les gars !").
    They listened to the takes, the second was deemed the best and Jacques put out the song as is, with the spontaneous studio banter.

Tsomi and ianuaditis like this.
  25. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

In the same category as "Live And Let Die" (assuming McCartney isn't really singing " we're livin' ") and "Small Town": the Marshall Tucker Band's "Heard It In A Love Song":

Always something greener on the other side of that hill
    I was born a wrangler and a gambler and I guess I always will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.